Drews Build. For Sale !!

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Drews Build HD Clutch in !!

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 8:38 +0000

Also what oil are you running in it? Because Arb recommend a different grade to Toyota.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Re: Drews Build HD Clutch in !!

Postby Drew on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 8:44 +0000

Yeh mate i was thinking along the same lines. The air has to push oil from the rear diff all the way to the engine bay before i can release the pressure. I asked toyota not to do my diff oil when they were due but to do my gbox and transfer instead but who knows. Might be worth blowing it thru like you said and doing an oil change.

Cheers !!
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Re: Drews Build

Postby Drew on Tue, 23 Aug 2011 9:19 +0000

Bit of an update, im in the market for a new dual battery system as my piranha controller has died. It has lasted 6yrs and been on 2 utes so it did ok. What finaly got it in the end is in the new ute with the 2nd battery and 2nd fuel filter i had to mount it upside down, well its not sealed so it must have kept filling with water and is now all corroded. Its a wonder it was working at all. The top is protected but the bottom isnt so it would eventually drain out but must have stayed full for a while.

So im up for a new one, i want to go for another piranha but the new one also isnt sealed so i guess it will just happen again. The 140amp im pretty sure is fully sealed and i dont need the solar input or monitor as my 2way shows me the voltage. What are you guys running and how do you like it ???

I also got around to running the extensions off my locker solenoids down into the chassis so i dont have diff oil spraying out into the engine bay.
Drew

Re: Drews Build... Time for new shoes

Postby Drew on Thu, 06 Oct 2011 6:23 +0000

Well the time has come for new tyres. The Micky t's are pretty well stuffed, ended up with about 50,000kms out of them so not too bad. I want to go some BFG km2's, rang around and every one who had prices on hand said around $450 to $465 ea, but everyone who had to call their supplier for a price quoted $515 to $555.... wtf ????? $555 for a BFG KM2 i dont think so tim !! :evil: oh yeh there has been a price rise they said, just because of the shortage im thinking.... Has anyone bought these back down south in civilization ? what have you been quoted ?
Drew

Postby Twisty on Thu, 06 Oct 2011 7:05 +0000

Try giving Ryano at ring at www.fourbys.com.au

Most of the time he can be cheaper even when including freight.

If not, maybe importing some from the US yourself will be the go? I'll probably do this for my next set.
Twisty

Postby scottsr20 on Thu, 06 Oct 2011 7:31 +0000

Have you seen the new mickey t claws ? Apparently they are alot milder onroad than the old ones and come in a 305 . Fourbys quoted me about $480 a tyre in 17s which are always dearer than 16s .
scottsr20

Postby Jack S on Fri, 07 Oct 2011 7:22 +0000

They are the claw ttc, they are a milder version of the normal claw, and slightly more aggressive than the mtz. I reakon they will be my next tyre even though I have a little whole till that's needed... I got a quote for them in a 285/75R16 and they were 380... Apparenty very quite and great feel on road!
Jack S

Postby Drew on Tue, 11 Oct 2011 7:32 +0000

Ended up ordering the KM2's, i'll give them a try after having the MTZ's on for 50,000kms. I called back the shop who quoted $450, and when i confirmed the price they said $425 lol so i ordered 4... we will see if thats what they try to charge me lol
Hopefully i'll get the monster rides cv's, strut spacers out and adjust the front struts all done before the tyres on thurs... fingers crossed
Drew

Postby Drew on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:16 +0000

Well what a f$@#&% up lol, had dramas with the new cv's and my old one so i how have a brand new toyota oem cv in the left hand side and a new axle seal, changed the diff oils while i was at it. I was going to do a bit of a how to but there is already a thread covering it.

One good thing to come out of it though, when i removed the bash plate i noticed red coolant over all my pullys.
Popped the bonnet and yep bloody water pump is leaking. So after geting the tyres today and yes i ngot them fitted and balanced for $425 each, thats BFG KM2 305's pretty good considering all the other quotes were over $500, i called into toyota and they rekon they have had a few leaking pumps lately, so its booked in for a new water pump in 2 weeks..... under warranty.
Drew

Postby Jack S on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:44 +0000

What dramas with the cvs did you have Drew?
Jack S

Postby Drew on Sat, 17 Dec 2011 9:58 +0000

Hey guys its been a while since my last update so here goes.

Something ive always been meaning to do is modify the mud guards under the ARB bull bar so the tyres wouldnt grab it. But after 2 years and no issues i hadnt bothered, but after grabbing then twice in a few weeks and almost destroying and old tyre then a brand new one i thought id better fix it up. Once was tankign a detour thru a table drain on the side of the road which the tyre almost pulled the guard off and the edge of the steel tore 3 lugs right off my old micky t's right down deep, then the next was gutter jumping but was much slower than the first so didnt do as much damage to a brand new KM2 thank god.

I started by bashing the stock fold flat on the bench with a mallet

Then measured where i wanted to make the new fold, i made it as far forward as i could right against the washer bottle. Due to the fold i had to trim a bit off the inside to clear the chasis and i also left the outer edge so it could still be bolted and stop any vibration. I also welded some nuts onto the inside as almost all the flimsy ARB nut holders had broken.

You can see the line of the original fold and they now sit about 1-2 inches further forward and no more problems.

I have also had new tyres fitted some BFG KM2's in 305/70/16. The look taller and thinner to the micky t's although they are the same size. The micky t;s were much squarer which made them look very wide. They are nice and quiet and good in the wet which the micky t's were too when they were new but got louder and my the end they were horrible in the wet.

Ive also fitted a new Piranah dual battery isolator system to replace my blown one. And the new water pump was fitted by toyota with no dramas, although it took them 12hrs to do the 4hr quoted job. They were supposed to do the recall drive shaft hoop as well but ran out of time.... wankers.

Now to the cv's. As many of you would know i was on a quest to get the most front end travel i could out of the IFS front end. Well after talking with many engineers my dream of a long travel kit from the states with new extended lower and upper control arms and axles would mean no rego. So with a few tweeks to my total chaos setup ive ended up with all but 12inches of front travel, pretty bloody good. I had a set of MR HD cv;s and axles here fore a while so decided to put them in. Completed one side and was about to put the wheel on when i thought id try to turn it by hand. I couldnt, jacked up the lower control arm to reduce the angle and it would turn, back to full droop and it wouldnt again. Now there is nothing wrong with the cv or axle what i found it to be is due to the heavy duty shaft there wasnt enough angle in the inner joint for my suspension setup. The outer worked fine at my extreme angle just not the inner. I was spewing as i really want to run these but back to the lighter weight toyota ones for me which i have to baby a bit.

Matty was great took them back and refunded my money, very good after sales service !!! and like i said the cv's and axles are fine just my extreme set up was unfortunately too much. What pissed me off the most was my own fault lol while re installing the toyota one i took some frustration out on it and screwed the threads on the outside of the shaft, it was the one i broke which was remade with 2 axles. So off to toyota $900 odd bucks for a new cv axle and a diff seal and oil. So all is well that ends well.
Drew

Re: Drews Build. For Sale ? Maybe...

Postby Drew on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:31 +0000

Well..... this is not a for sale add... but, i am considering selling the lux :o
So you guys have seen the build, seen the work and $$$$$$ spent, best of everything no expense spared and the magazine article, so what do you think its worth ???? 65,000kms still got extended warranty.

It would also come with all the stock suspension, wheels and tyres, exhaust and control arms which have only done 5000kms before they were removed.

Expressions of interest..... If some one came and offered me $60k right now it would be theirs.... about $30,000 of extras (Parts alone), the suspension, wheels and tyres are alone $10,000 replacement cost.
Stock they are selling for 40-45k with same kms

Late 2008 (face lift model) D4d xtra cab manual
Total Chaos racing suspension from the states
Micky t wheels
4 new BFG KM2
New MTZ spare
TJM Bash plates
Front and rear lockers
Air comressor
Piranah dual batty set up
Custom hilift jack and shovel holder in the tub
Bullbar, side steps, rear bar
Warn 9500lb winch with incab controls and sealed solenoid
Lightforce XGT 240's
GME UHF
Steinbauer chip
3in humex ehaust
Pyro and boost guages
2nd fuel pre filter
HD Clutch
etc etc etc
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by Drew on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 1:28 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Drew

Postby amitch888 on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:06 +0000

Definitely a lot of money and work gone into it! Why the choice to sell?
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby Drew on Thu, 22 Dec 2011 7:16 +0000

Just thinking about it... Bit of family planning..... no kids yet lol but one day. Thinking of selling the lux and the mrs car. I need a cheap car that i can drive and leave at the bus stop for a week at a time to go to work and the mrs car has about 90,000kms on it so time to let it go.
Drew

Postby Kenay on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 7:11 +0000

yeah that guard is a killer it smashed my left side trye twice an done sum mad damage. sweet job i should of done that but just got a lift kit. mybe i should still do it :?:
79 series v8 landcruiser ute- 33" BFG, 3"lift, lockers F&R
Kenay

Postby Drew on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 1:23 +0000

Yeh kenay it was something i always meant to do, but just never got around to it. But when my old micky t grabbed it, it made a mess of the tyre.
Drew

Postby jakelux on Fri, 23 Dec 2011 6:50 +0000

When i modified my mud guards to fit the 33's i did like you but put a slight cut/scribe with the 1mm grinder blade on the back of the plate, made for a really neat bend with a couple of vice grips.
Good idea welding on the nuts... those things ARB use are shit! i just hex screwed mine back on.
jakelux

Postby soildlux on Thu, 05 Apr 2012 5:08 +0000

Drew wrote:Well..... this is not a for sale add... but, i am considering selling the lux :o
So you guys have seen the build, seen the work and $$$$$$ spent, best of everything no expense spared and the magazine article, so what do you think its worth ???? 65,000kms still got extended warranty.

It would also come with all the stock suspension, wheels and tyres, exhaust and control arms which have only done 5000kms before they were removed.

Expressions of interest..... If some one came and offered me $60k right now it would be theirs.... about $30,000 of extras (Parts alone), the suspension, wheels and tyres are alone $10,000 replacement cost.
Stock they are selling for 40-45k with same kms

Late 2008 (face lift model) D4d xtra cab manual
Total Chaos racing suspension from the states
Micky t wheels
4 new BFG KM2
New MTZ spare
TJM Bash plates
Front and rear lockers
Air comressor
Piranah dual batty set up
Custom hilift jack and shovel holder in the tub
Bullbar, side steps, rear bar
Warn 9500lb winch with incab controls and sealed solenoid
Lightforce XGT 240's
GME UHF
Steinbauer chip
3in humex ehaust
Pyro and boost guages
2nd fuel pre filter
HD Clutch
etc etc etc
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hey mate saw your truck on car sales the other day for 60k and was wondering if it's just there to see if someone will buy it for 60k or are you trying to sell it? And did you end up getting the pics form 4wd action?
soildlux

Re: Drews Build. For Sale !!

Postby Drew on Sat, 17 Nov 2012 8:00 +0000

Hey guys bit of an update on the lux. Well it sold a few mths ago, after a few tyre kickers a bloke flew over from WA and drove it back so keep an eye out for it over there !!! got what i wanted for it so i was happy !!
Still own a hilux though lol as i bought a 04 2wd petrol dual cab from the father in laws work, bloody bargain 120,000kms $2000 so i still have a ute to run around in.

Looking for a replacement for the hilux i was thinking patrol but i just couldnt do it lol and i have had alot of reports of the 3.0L motor overheating when towing. So im sticking with toyota and have ordered a new 200 series so im looking forward to building that up :twisted: :twisted: not as extreme as the hilux but it will be a pretty full on tourer.
Drew

Re: Drews Build. For Sale !!

Postby kyle300exc on Sat, 17 Nov 2012 8:03 +0000

Gday Drew, did you consider the '06 Patrol in a 4.2 or were you purchasing new?
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups