Electrically disconnecting the front Diff - ADD models only

Re: Electrically disconnecting the front diff - SR5 only

Postby rosco01 on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 6:39 +0000

This one is next on my list.......
Mine is a Mar '09 build SR-5 diesel auto.......

and - what's the best way to pull out the glove-box?

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby tdah2 on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 6:50 +0000

awsome mod :D
tdah2

Postby rosco01 on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 7:29 +0000

Have downloaded the wiring diagram and service instructions for this mod - thanks for the link to the workshop manual.....

Waiting forum response before attempting this mod......

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby Jack S on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 7:48 +0000

What does disconnecting the front diff do anyway?
Jack S

Postby rosco01 on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 8:10 +0000

Jack,
by being able to manually disconnect (switch out) the front diff, you can use low range with only the rear diff connected to the transmission.
This means you can use it on hard surfaces and when making very tight turns without the front diff fighting the rear one...... something you would be well advised not to do.......
Without this mod, the only time you "should" use H4 or L4 is on soft or loose ground....... damage to the driveline can result if these positions are used otherwise.....

To some of us, being able to use low range at any time, allows us more power and a slower speed to manouvre heavy loads...

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby Batman on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 9:41 +0000

rosco01 wrote:This one is next on my list.......
Mine is a Mar '09 build SR-5 diesel auto.......

and - what's the best way to pull out the glove-box?

frats,
Rosco

Rosco,

When you open the glovebox just lift it upwards and the box will come out of the clips.

Easy as that.

Steve.
Batman

Postby Jack S on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:25 +0000

Yea right oh thanks for the explanition Rosco!
I am picking up what your putting down now... :D
Jack S

Postby rosco01 on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 5:34 +0000

Thanks Batman,
much appreciated - this mod is about to happen......... have studied the wiring diagrams from the website workshop manual..... all appears (to me) to be in order.......

Has anyone experienced any issues since this thread came to fruition.....?

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 7:00 +0000

nup.. mine works fine.. i find it useful for reversing up hill with a trailer on..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rosco01 on Wed, 26 Jan 2011 7:29 +0000

Thanks Steve9R,
caravan goes back to manufacturer tomorrow for attention - will make mod to ADD whilst waiting for return of van......

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby chevaps on Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:15 +0000

I was about to do this mod as i have to reverse my boat up the driveway after every fishing outing, and the idea of having 2L in a manual sr5 sounded awesome, but before i did it i started to think about why we don't see 4wds standard with 2L and what could go wrong mechanically with this mod.

I'm not a mechanical engineer ( but i was forced to do some mechanics in my electrical engineering degree :D ) and from my basic understanding, shifting to 4L increases the torque to all four wheels by 2.566 (Transfer gear ratio 1.000/2.566). In 4L the power would be split 50/50 front to rear meaning that the torque should also split 50/50 front to rear, and the front and rear driveline hardware both see a maximum torque 2.566x higher than in 4H. But preventing the ADD from engaging, wouldn't that send 2.566x more torque than in 2H to the rear driveline, possibly causing damage if the hardware isn't designed for that kind of torque?

I'm not entirely sure about power and torque distribution when the front and/or rear wheels are slipping, but what i do know is with an electric motor under no load, it is only developing enough torque to overcome friction to keep it spinning. If a similar analogy can be applied here, under normal operating conditions in 4L, when the front wheels have no traction (no load) causing the wheels to slip and spin, does only enough torque to overcome friction get send to the front and all the remaining torque generated get transferred to the rear wheels? If so, then i'm laughing because then i'll be sure the rear driveline hardware has been designed to cope with the extra torque. If however my logic here doesn't apply, and only 50% of the torque is sent to the rear wheels even when the fronts have no traction and are spinning, then i'm a little hesitant to do this mod for fear of busting the rear differential or the like.

Some thoughts, comments and explanations would be appreciated.

Regards

Tom
chevaps

Postby Batman on Sun, 30 Jan 2011 3:48 +0000

Tom,

Not too sure on the torque splits and so on - but I can tell you from experience that this mod has not caused any issue on my ute and I can't recall anyone else saying they have had issue.

I was one of the first to do the mod to the hilux (2 1/2 years ago) and I have not had a single issue and I have used it many many times while backing trailers, I even used it to do a hill start whilst towing a tandem trailer with a car on board, changing to high 2 on the fly.

I can say without reservation that using Low 2 is far better on your drive train than slipping the clutch and carrying on while trying to manouvre a trailer.

Just remember what most people are using this mod is for LOW speed whilst backing or manouvering a trailer - no high revs clutch dumping stuff involved that could possibly cause issue.
Last edited by Batman on Sun, 30 Jan 2011 6:41 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Batman

Postby shane308 on Sun, 30 Jan 2011 4:45 +0000

I did this mod about 2 1/2 years ago and use it on a daily basis for my work as well as at home at the end of each day, I have had not one problem related to the mod and if I bought another lux tomorrow it would be the first thing I would do to it.
shane308
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 3dhilux on Sun, 30 Jan 2011 6:29 +0000

it should be fine there's heaps of hilux running 4.7 reductions. wish i could get free wheeling hub for my sr im temped to take my front shaft out (my ute only for work)
web wheeling since 2009
drunken engineering
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Drunken-e ... 9040101915
3dhilux

Postby djs0276 on Sun, 30 Jan 2011 7:49 +0000

This is awesome, I only just came across this thread now. Something I'll definitely be doing!
Dirk
08 D/cab SR5, ARB Front & Rear Diff locks, ARB Deluxe Bar, Dual Battery, Lightforce 240HID's, ORS Rear Drawers, OME Nitro Sport Suspension kit, ARB Side steps & brush bars, Taipan 3" exhaust.
GIC Extreme Offroad Camper trailer
djs0276
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sprocket00 on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 2:22 +0000

Just a quick note, if you're using a switch with a lamp (such as a custom rocker) you can't connect the lamp (or the neutral to the lamp) as there it is a negatively switched wire and the path through the lamp to neutral will make your 4wd be on constantly. Also, if using a custom rocker and want your switches to all line up neatly, a NC switch would be the go. You can turn them around but then the illumination light is at the wrong end.
Sprocket00

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 2:24 +0000

Sprocket00 wrote:Just a quick note, if you're using a switch with a lamp (such as a custom rocker) you can't connect the lamp (or the neutral to the lamp) as there it is a negatively switched wire and the path through the lamp to neutral will make your 4wd be on constantly. Also, if using a custom rocker and want your switches to all line up neatly, a NC switch would be the go. You can turn them around but then the illumination light is at the wrong end.

yep.. my light is backwards, but the switches line up.. i dont care..
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rosco01 on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 6:10 +0000

I have almost effected this mod today....
Glove box comes out easily - it is only held into slots in the dash facia by those two plastic hinges on each side of the glove box.
The green connector into the ADD unit sticks out like the "proverbial dog's......".
When looking at the leads into the connector - the black lead is second from right on the bottom row.
It is a relatively thin lead.
I cut mine well back into the loom bundling. I then soldered a length of slightly thicker silver stranded black lead to both ends to form a long loop. I cut and fitted two short lengths of black heat shrink tubing over the joint which made the connection quite difficult to detect when bundled back into the loom.
Having done this, I cable tied the loom back into position and re-connected the ADD plug.
I ran a length of sheathing over the "loop" and placed the additional wiring behind the glove-box lower frame bracket. This then afforded the loop to pass neatly behind the lower facia and under the aux power socket.
I cable tied a short piece of rubber tubing over the areas of the loop sheathing where it was likely to make contact with any fittings.
I found the passenger side switch blanking plug to afford the best location for a switch to be fitted.
At this point in time, I have not determined an appropriate rocker or push-button switch.

I will source one which assimilates that of the rear window demister - but has terminals for NC (normally closed) contacts in the unlatched (not pushed in) position.

At this point in time, I am not intending to illuminate the position of the switch.
If it were a case of illuminating for "energised" - it would be quite simple. The need to supply both a power supply and earth for the "open" position - I do not, at this point in time - believe warrants the labour involved........ but........

To complete this mod, I need only to remove the blanking plug, cut the loop, bare the wires, solder terminals onto the leads and make the connections. I will most likely also heat shrink tube cover both terminals when positioned on the switch.

Thanks Batman and all others who have made this mod possible and easy to implement.

frats,
Rosco

ps - very easy mod, if you can solder and heat shrink - the hardest part is removing the glove box........
rosco01

Postby Kitcho on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 7:39 +0000

Is this mod possible on the SR model?
Kitcho

Electrically disconnecting the front diff - SR5 only

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 7:55 +0000

Kitcho wrote:Is this mod possible on the SR model?

Hey mate, sadly it's not because the sr dont have the Electronic disconnecting differential.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks