News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Toyota Decides to Come Clean

Postby johnny5x on Thu, 08 Apr 2010 5:27 +0000

http://www.news.com.au/business/we-need ... 5851480646

Wonder if they will ever "come clean" about the injectors also
johnny5x

Re: Toyota Decides to Come Clean

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Apr 2010 5:57 +0000

that only refers to toyota USA's problems....has nothing to do with toyota australia....

and ive never had injector issues....i strongly beleive in warming the hilux up for atleast 5 minutes before i drive anywhere (especially when cold) and personally swear by Caltex vortex diesel.

my 2 bob :ugeek:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby dustytrails on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 7:41 +0000

No its not just the US, the article says more than 8 million recalls world wide for accelerator and braking issues.

Just because some vehicle's don't suffer from a particular problem and some do doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

There is obviously an injector problem and i for one believe toyota should come to the party, admit that there's a problem and deal with it. There are a lot of people with hilux's where i'm from (Canberra) and i talk to more people who have noisey injectors than don't. And as ridiculous it is to say this, i was one of the lucky ones to have had my injectors replaced when it should have been a no brainer and a straight forward warranty in the first place.

These are supposedly modern hitec engines that shouldn't require 5 minutes to "warm up". At its worst mine took at least 20mins, my old 2.8lt didn't even take that long!
dustytrails

Postby gmangoau on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 5:56 +0000

If you arent supposed to warm them up why do they have the warm up button that increases the revs when its starts and is cold? Mine always run better after 5 minutes idling. But to be fair my engine is way louder than my neighbours navara,,, is noisy injectors a fault?
Last edited by gmangoau on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 7:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
gmangoau

Postby dustytrails on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 6:48 +0000

gmangoau wrote:If you arent supposed to warm them up why do they have the warm up button that increases the revs when its starts and is cold? Mine always run better after 5 minutes idling. But to be fair my engine is way loader than my neighbours navara,,, is noisy injectors a fault?
"is noisy injectors a fault?" I haven't really heard it put that way and its a good question! I'm no mechanic thats for sure, but imho i when the engine/injectors are making so much noise that the people at the bus stop 100 meters up the road stop and stare.... you know somethings not right. :o
dustytrails

Postby asmo on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 9:58 +0000

Lookin at the noise or just looking while thinking they would love a Hilux, as you drive past them every day and torment them with your fine looking Truck....
Last edited by asmo on Sun, 21 Aug 2011 7:00 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
asmo

Postby jimO on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 7:37 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:that only refers to toyota USA's problems....has nothing to do with toyota australia....

and ive never had injector issues....i strongly beleive in warming the hilux up for atleast 5 minutes before i drive anywhere (especially when cold) and personally swear by Caltex vortex diesel.

my 2 bob :ugeek:

injector problems are common here, toyota NZ replaced mine
jimO

Postby gruntre69 on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 9:23 +0000

I've got a few questions about these injectors:
    Is the noise the injectors or detonation cause by faulty injectors or fuel pump?
    What is the root cause of the injector problem? Could it be the fuel pump or could it be this supposedly excellent fuel filter Toyota use? My mechanic questions whether Toyota really know the root cause and if they change the injectors do they use the exact same parts as a replacement?????
    If Toyota replace the injectors and that is not the root cause, how long before the replaced injectors sh!t themselves and cost another $4000 out of warranty?
    I've heard of plenty of Hilux and Prado owner with surfacing rattle/noise problems on 1 to 4 year old vehicles, mine is OK so far with only 30000k on it, what happens to these guys whose problem surfaces after warranty?

I'm wondering about extra filtration now but there are concerns about warranty when tampering with the fuel system plumbing.

I can see a class action against Toyota on this if they don't sort it out and look after all owners with vehicles with these diesel engines. I for one am regretting my decision about not paying the $1600 for the extended 2 year warranty. Seems like the engine is not the only early failure; Gear stick, clock spring, I've heard the rear LSD diff is a potential problem too and more etc, etc.
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby phat_allen on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 9:31 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:I've got a few questions about these injectors:
    Is the noise the injectors or detonation cause by faulty injectors or fuel pump?
    What is the root cause of the injector problem? Could it be the fuel pump or could it be this supposedly excellent fuel filter Toyota use? My mechanic questions whether Toyota really know the root cause and if they change the injectors do they use the exact same parts as a replacement?????
    If Toyota replace the injectors and that is not the root cause, how long before the replaced injectors sh!t themselves and cost another $4000 out of warranty?
    I've heard of plenty of Hilux and Prado owner with surfacing rattle/noise problems on 1 to 4 year old vehicles, mine is OK so far with only 30000k on it, what happens to these guys whose problem surfaces after warranty?

I'm wondering about extra filtration now but there are concerns about warranty when tampering with the fuel system plumbing.

I can see a class action against Toyota on this if they don't sort it out and look after all owners with vehicles with these diesel engines. I for one am regretting my decision about not paying the $1600 for the extended 2 year warranty. Seems like the engine is not the only early failure; Gear stick, clock spring, I've heard the rear LSD diff is a potential problem too and more etc, etc.

Considering Toyota austraila has agreed to fix my clock spring 90k out of warranty for the grand total of $0.00 including gst, pretty much means they admit it's a manufacturing fault.

I'm also keen to know more on the injector peoblem... im in the same boat with knocking whilst cold ect ect
Cheers,
Chris
phat_allen

Postby gruntre69 on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 9:41 +0000

Yes it's re-assuring to hear stories like this. How hard did you have to fight for it?

I also heard from my mechanic who has one customer with 6 hilux's that Toyota replace injectors on one on his fleet out of warranty and only covered 50% of the charge. (Oh yer the injectors are sh1t but it's only half our fault :roll: )It seems a bit hit and miss and sounds like it is a bit of dealer decison. Sound like it's either stick it to them or pay the price.
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby tidal on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:22 +0000

If you listen to a new Hiace diesel they purr like a kitten. Not so with the Hilux.

Maybe they are a shit antiquated injector & can’t handle the extra pressure.

I think the Hiace engine is only about 80kw, so more fuel pressure in the Hilux = more injector clatter I would guess.

Does any one know if the two engines run different pressure in the injector rail? With the chip turned on in my 2010 the clatter is insane.

I know the chip I have increases fuel rail pressure leading me to believe this is the cause of the noise and it pisses me off just like the next bloke so when it comes time in a couple of years I wont be buying a Toyota with out looking at the new models from other manufacturers.

Should have bought a second hand TRD instead of a new diesel :roll:
Rod

If you can’t fix it with a hammer you’ve got an electrical problem...
tidal

Postby phat_allen on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 1:50 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:Yes it's re-assuring to hear stories like this. How hard did you have to fight for it?

They went straight to toyota before I could even argue with them. So I had no reason to even look at getting disgruntled. :o
Still not happy at having to get it fixed in the first place but at least they had the decency to admit fault... unlike the injectors.......
Cheers,
Chris
phat_allen

Postby felix on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 2:16 +0000

just wondering if all you guys that have injector problems actually wait for the 'injector ready' sideways figure of 8 symbol to go out before starting the car ?
felix

Postby phat_allen on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 2:44 +0000

felix wrote:just wondering if all you guys that have injector problems actually wait for the 'injector ready' sideways figure of 8 symbol to go out before starting the car ?

i think the symbol your talking about is the glow plug symbol that goes out once the glow plugs are warm enough to start the engine....
I wait for it to go out before starting the engine
Cheers,
Chris
phat_allen

Postby earlydays on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 3:49 +0000

My 2005 D4D knocks when it's cold and rattles when it's hot. I always warm it up before I drive off and it's noisier in the hot weather than it is in the cold.
The injectors were replaced about 35000k ago and it really didn't make any difference at all. It's not right and I don't like it but have learnt to live with it...well almost!
Tony
2005 D4D SR man. 165000k.
earlydays

Postby Batman on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 7:29 +0000

gmangoau wrote:If you arent supposed to warm them up why do they have the warm up button that increases the revs when its starts and is cold? Mine always run better after 5 minutes idling. But to be fair my engine is way louder than my neighbours navara,,, is noisy injectors a fault?

The warm up button operates an electric coil in the heater box, this helps to heat the cabin on cold days before the heater gets warm from the engine coolant getting warm enough to heat the cabin. The engine revs increase so that the alternator can provide enough charge to compensate for the relatively large current draw on the battery from the electric heating coil.

Nothing to do with warming the engine quicker!
Batman

Postby pebbles on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 8:07 +0000

I also have the dreaded knock on a cold morning but it only lasts until i gingerly pick the speed up enough to take second gear. Then its just a constant quiet rattle.
I had my number 4 injector replaced in September last year on 85000k's, no warranty, one injector and $1300 later.
The Wangara company who prognosed and fixed the problem on an over night test said that the injector had blown a pin hole in the side of it due to the high psi in the fuel systems, fair enough.(code fault; P0093/78 fuel system leak detected).
The thing that got me was the car still needed to go to Toyota (after the replacement) in order to have the injector calibrated to the ECU, typical. The knock still exists.
The head mechanic of the Wangara company did say that the injectors will always make a so called rattle noise because the open and closure of the injector is so violent, due to the common rail pressure behind them.
I'm only stating what i was told. I am not qualified to judge.
So in saying that it is the only problem to date and for where ive been and what ive done the hilux still pulls like a dream.
pebbles

Postby luxie on Sat, 20 Aug 2011 9:56 +0000

The reason why there is a "knock" sound in the Toyota D4D is because Toyota do a pre injection squirt just before main squirt to reduce the combustion ignition spike. By doing so the the flash point (ignition of fuel) becomes smoother so its better on the engine.
The common rail diesel engines do run very high pressures, up to 75 0000 kpa ( which i think is around 32 0000 psi). To reach theses pressures the pump and injectors have very fine tolerances so clean fuel is very important. DO NOT USE BIO DIESEL.The lubrication factor of bio is to inconsistent, I have seen so many failures due to bio diesel. Change fuel filters regularly.
luxie

Postby Monaz on Sat, 28 Apr 2012 10:35 +0000

G'day fellas, my truck is a late 06 and has been rattling away since I bought it two years ago. I was planning on booking the truck in for the over night Injector test with Toyota to work out whether the Injectors are out of phase/leaking/dead etc etc because the other day I started it up (from a nose down spot) and I had a cloud of white smoke...I thought at first I'd blown a turbo seal. Maybe I could tag this document to help my cause?
Trouble is, my VIN number is 29G0015403....lower than the listed numbers? Do you think this means mine isn't of the affected range?
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Postby Monaz on Sun, 29 Apr 2012 4:10 +0000

Gday Troopie,

Yes mate that's the Doc I'm talking bout...I'm really concerned now bout this problem. Because in all honesty who has upward of $15000 to spend on a new motor in what should be an incredibly reliable, refined vehicle from Mr T. A company that has built itself on those exact details!!!

I'll be checking the pickup screen Monday or Tuesday this week for sure....

Monaz
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Next

Return to Toyota News