Toyota Decides to Come Clean

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Re: Toyota Decides to Come Clean

Postby mack on Sun, 29 Apr 2012 5:21 +0000

Maybe a few members could get together and go to 'A Current Affair' or similar program with this known issue, perhaps this negative media coverage may help our cause.
mack

Postby Monaz on Wed, 02 May 2012 4:06 +0000

We could only hope...somehow though I don't see how the current affairs programs would find it interesting enough to air. It doesn't include how to clean your house for less than a dollar a day....again!
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Postby BADBOYBUBBY on Sun, 10 Mar 2013 3:42 +0000

I wonder if you could apply this to toyota

http://www.practiceofcode.com/post/3043 ... f-warranty
BADBOYBUBBY

Postby Timbo1980 on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 5:09 +0000

I'm new to the Hilux family, and I'm still trying to get my head around all this injector rattle stuff.

What I would love to know more than anything else is whether this is causing any real-world problems? Apart from an annoying noise, has anyone had any serious issues due to injector problems (such as engine failure or major engine damage)?

I've seen lots of people with well over 100k kms on their cars talking about how they are really worried about their injectors and what might happen if they aren't replaced, and I haven't seen one mention of a Hilux that has actually had serious problems due to this injector issue.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse, sorry if it comes across like that, I'm just genuinely trying to work out what this is all about...

Cheers
Timbo1980

Postby mattwhite on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 6:43 +0000

Yeah Tim, if left to get bad enough it will crack/melt pistons. There are threads on here to that effect.
But as has been suggested before, happy people don't make a racket. Yes, there's been some horror stories, some from injector failure, some from dirty fuel, some just real bad luck.
If you have a rattle get it checked. Replace your fuel filter religiously and buy from trusted servos. It's fairly simple to get an idea on the state of your injectors with some basic diagnostic equipment.
So don't be scared, get out there and enjoy the hell out of your hilux, just treat it with the respect it deserves. ;)
mattwhite

Postby Pateye01 on Sun, 24 Nov 2013 5:12 +0000

Hey fella's

I don't know a lot about this other than mine rattles sometimes and other times it purrs like a kitten but a bloke I know said he took his back to Toyota because it sounded like someone was in the engine with a small mallet and they re-mapped the injectors or something and now it does not rattle anymore. Maybe ask your local dealer about this.
Pateye01

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 24 Nov 2013 5:42 +0000

Yep called a pilot learn.
boxhead55

Postby Talktheroo on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 9:32 +0000

To do with the rattle, have a read of this :
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=524&start=260
Page 14 if you don't want to read the whole thread.
For blow by, two different issues, have read of this :
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13749&start=240
Page 13 if you don't want to read the whole thread.
Back onto what this thread is about.
Just recently, Toyota Motor Corporation paid a visit to Toyota Australia at Port Melbourne.
It was about five years over due, but at least, it has happened.
To keep it short, there's been a bit of a clean out of bad ideas and eggs, so to speak. The Japanese went off about a number of issues, customer service, all the court cases, and the fact that this division is the only one in the world that does the audible valve clearance check at the 40,000km and the 80,000km services under the warranty arrangement. This is actually a breach, at least to the code of conduct.
Important to note, is that under the agreements, including Toyota Australia and it's dealerships, you have to follow the procedures set out in the service manuals, and today, that is called Global Service Information Centre or GSIC for short.
Now, the Japanese (TMC) have spared no expense here, setting up this important internet site for it's dealerships and the industry, as a whole. For anyone that hasn't seen it, it's a 1, 2, 3 of how to do, with diagrams and everything.
In the valve clearance section, it clearly states that the injector seals and sheets (seats) have to be replaced.
I know the argument BH, that you don't have to remove the injectors to do this job, but hey, your already in there, so I think this is the whole point of what TMC is saying. If I am in there, that's what I do, and I think it's good practise to do so. I mean, let's face it, it's only nine bolts we are talking about here.
Anyway, all dealerships, to do with Toyota Service will be getting a review of procedures and practice.
Pretty full on, too, as it should be.
Unfortunately, there are some good dealerships that have always done the right thing, like Sunshine Toyota, that have coped it already, and I think that's unfair. I guess you can't discriminate today, like you used to be able to, such is life.
The court cases will be still happening to do with blow by, as it's pretty well open and shut, especially if the valve clearance services have not been done properly, the audible thing.
Good luck with it all, Toyota Australia and the bad dealerships. I hope now, you improve your services to the Australian consumer of your products.
I would like to thank Aaron over at Prado Point for letting us expose these issues on that site. Good one big daddy, you did us proud. :D
Catch you later, the Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby Moiv on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 7:46 +0000

Very interesting Roo.
I wonder how long before dealers start doing proper valve clearance checks and stop drying to fob off the design faults as owner errors / bad fuel etc.
Moiv

Postby Timbo1980 on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:10 +0000

Could somebody briefly describe how these concerning rattles differ to a 'normal' diesel rattle? Might be handy for people (like me) who don't have a heap of experience with these engines and are not 100% sure what to be looking out for...

I gather that the injector rattle is seriously loud, not something that could be confused for being normal. Is that correct?

Does the rattle occur at only idle, under load, or in a particular rev range? Or all of the above?

Is it a 'fine' rattle, an unbalanced clatter or an all out Jackhammer type noise? I've heard it described as if somebody had poured a bunch of marbles into the sump.

Above all, if it did happen is it fair to say there would be no way anybody could ignore it?

Thanks fellas.
Timbo1980

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:41 +0000

Timbo.. please do a search and read up the NUMEROUS threads on diesel rattles. This thread is about Toyota.. please dont cross contaminate.

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Talktheroo on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 4:29 +0000

Just quickly Steve, for Timbo, and others.
Mate, it's pretty well sounds like the engine is going to fly to pieces. It's pretty bad.
Yes, you can't get the rattle mixed up with the normal operation of a CRD engine.
The best way to deal with this, is to plug in a diagnostic tool and check the injector feedback values and the total volume, regularly. PM me if you want a schedule.
Back on topic, Moiv, if Sunshine Toyota got the stick, I reckon the rest will follow.
Stupid thing is, that Sunshine Toyota has been doing the right thing for years, when it came to the valve clearance service.
I haven't heard of anything from Strathpine, wink, wink, but I am sure they will all know about doing this important service as per the GISC information, not the audible thing.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby Timbo1980 on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 4:54 +0000

Thanks Roo that was all I was after...
Timbo1980

Postby razle on Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:44 +0000

i serviced my D4D regularly and let it warm up and the engine only lasted 200 000km
razle

Postby Talktheroo on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 8:53 +0000

razle wrote:i serviced my D4D regularly and let it warm up and the engine only lasted 200 000km

What happened, mate?
Blow by?
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Previous

Return to Toyota News