Lokka Diff Locks from 4WD Systems

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Re: Lokka Diff Locks from 4WD Systems

Postby Rollux11 on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 7:37 +0000

Thanks for the feedback. So in the newer ones there isn't the click click click as one wheel is spinning faster than the other while cornering?
Rollux11

Postby pisso01 on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 7:59 +0000

There is that clicking your talking about and sometimes some clunks and bangs but overall I think they work brilliantly for the cost. Monaz has an auto and I think his felt a bit smoother than mine being manual.

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby Rollux11 on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 8:52 +0000

Yeah I know the exact clunks and that you are talking about. They are a good centre for the coin. My torana runs a 10.4@129mph down the qtr mile. The old lokka lives the dream
Rollux11

Postby Monaz on Wed, 03 Dec 2014 9:50 +0000

Definately still have the clicks but honestly with the windows up and radio on you cant hear it.... ;)

As Pisso said (mate we gotta catch up soon for another few beers) I do have an auto and it would seem maybe the auto possibly takes a bit of the backlash or axle wind out. I do get the occassional bang, but it would honestly months in between. I cant even remember the last time.
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Postby raptorthumper on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 1:46 +0000

There is a new advertisement in 4WD Action mag that shows both FRONT & rear Lokka's are now available for 05 to current hiluxes. I asked about availability on their face book page and their response is below.
Essentially Front still not released yet.

Rears are no issue, the fronts are a couple weeks wait.
Our Lokka's are AUSTRALIAN made, they come with a 3 year UNCONDITIONAL unlimited km warranty.
Comprehensive Fitting Instructions included. The differential gear set does not have to be re-set and the carrier bearings are not replaced, so its a pretty simple fit for the mechanically inclined.
Warranty is the same no matter who does the fitting.
The price is $570 each including delivery to your door

-
raptorthumper

Postby owhtafelin on Mon, 06 Apr 2015 7:51 +0000

raptorthumper wrote:There is a new advertisement in 4WD Action mag that shows both FRONT & rear Lokka's are now available for 05 to current hiluxes. I asked about availability on their face book page and their response is below.
Essentially Front still not released yet.
-

Mate they have saying a couple of months since I got my 'lux more than 2 years ago

Take it with a grain of salt...
owhtafelin

Postby fourby4diesel on Tue, 07 Apr 2015 9:02 +0000

Overall The lokka is a good product for the rear diff.

If you have money I'd say get an elocker.

But,

If you don't want to over capitalise, like if the truck is getting older,
If you don't mind some clicking when it's unlocked,
If you want reliability with no air or elec wires,
If in the wet you put the foot down it may well stay locked & do some drifting & that's ok?
Then it's a good option.

The clicking settles down as the edges get slightly worn & rounded off.
It's only when you have traction & one wheel is turning faster than the other that it clicks a little.
The clicking does vary, sometimes you can hardly hear it, sometimes it's louder.
Pretty str8 forward d.i.y fit up if you are mechanically apt.
They work well as an "auto" locker, really an auto unlocker.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby Rodeo4jake on Thu, 18 Feb 2016 7:11 +0000

Hey all,

I had one of these Lokka diff locks fitted in my rear diff a couple of weeks back. I have to say that so far I am very impressed with the way it works. I have heard the clicking a couple of times, but generally I can't hear it.

Have tried a few hills in the Wombat State Forest near me that previously needed heavy use of the right foot & lots of momentum to get up, now I can just crawl. In some cases I even stopped & took off again half way up. But everyone knows the great improvement of offroad ability a diff lock gives.

Having previously had a Landcruiser with ARB lockers front & rear, which proved to be a bit unreliable, I was keen to try one of these & I'm now pleased I did. It's like having an LSD that will never single wheel under power no matter what, but still corners normally. I'd probably never put one in the front though, as I think in some cases you could risk breaking cvs as you don't really want to be running a locked diff with wheels turned hard I don't reckon.

All in all I'd call these a very good value for money product
Rodeo4jake

Postby incman on Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:22 +0000

Not sure where uneek are up to with there partnership

http://www.caplocker.com/

The CAP Locker is a brand new Australian innovation aimed at all 4wd users who actually venture off-road. The CAP Locker is a true differential lock that allows your 4wd diffs to fully lock for maximum traction off-road.

This patented system is a selectable locker that is air operated via a switch on the dash.

The CAP locker is made up of 4 families of differential locks.

The PR series (Partial Replacement): In this case one bearing cap of the OEM diff is replaced with the locking mechanism which uses a piston to push a locking ring forward to lock the spider gears together. This system retains the OEM casing and gears for a cheaper unit than most other selectable lockers on the market.
The LSD series (Limited Slip/Fully Locked): In this case your diff can have 3 modes,
1. Open,
2. LSD on via a switch, and
3. Fully locked via another switch.

The FR series (Full Replacement): If your OEM diff only has a 2 pinion centre we offer a more conventional locker which will have forged gears and a complete new housing made from machined hardened steel not cast.
The Comp Series (Competition): More info to be announced at a later date

Key Benefits for the CAP locker
Developed in Australia
Tested in Australia
Manufactured in Australia
Made from hardened Steel not cast
Fully selectable via an on dash switch
Quicker/easier installation than competitors
No leaking O rings
5mm locking ring engagement
LSD series has 3 modes
PR series significantly cheaper than current competition
incman

Postby Phil675 on Thu, 07 Jul 2016 8:44 +0000

Just brought a rear Lokka for my 2010 V6 Auto, was going to fit it this weekend, but delays in fitting and finishing electrical power sockets, amplifier and switches, means it will have to wait.

$498 for the rear Lokka and I picked it up from the shop, was offered front and rear Lokka's for under $1000, but thought one at a time. (plus i'm skint).
I'll take photos as I put it in and if ever I discover how to post photos, you can share. :lol:
Phil675

Postby SRD4D on Fri, 08 Jul 2016 5:18 +0000

incman wrote:Not sure where uneek are up to with there partnership

http://www.caplocker.com/

The CAP Locker is a brand new Australian innovation aimed at all 4wd users who actually venture off-road. The CAP Locker is a true differential lock that allows your 4wd diffs to fully lock for maximum traction off-road.

This patented system is a selectable locker that is air operated via a switch on the dash.

The CAP locker is made up of 4 families of differential locks.

The PR series (Partial Replacement): In this case one bearing cap of the OEM diff is replaced with the locking mechanism which uses a piston to push a locking ring forward to lock the spider gears together. This system retains the OEM casing and gears for a cheaper unit than most other selectable lockers on the market.
The LSD series (Limited Slip/Fully Locked): In this case your diff can have 3 modes,
1. Open,
2. LSD on via a switch, and
3. Fully locked via another switch.

The FR series (Full Replacement): If your OEM diff only has a 2 pinion centre we offer a more conventional locker which will have forged gears and a complete new housing made from machined hardened steel not cast.
The Comp Series (Competition): More info to be announced at a later date

Key Benefits for the CAP locker
Developed in Australia
Tested in Australia
Manufactured in Australia
Made from hardened Steel not cast
Fully selectable via an on dash switch
Quicker/easier installation than competitors
No leaking O rings
5mm locking ring engagement
LSD series has 3 modes
PR series significantly cheaper than current competition

now that is very good.. anyone know the price on these?
I would care for the open selection but the LSD and full locker would be perfect
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby ickers11 on Sun, 24 Jul 2016 4:38 +0000

Hi All,
Has anyone had one put in at a shop? What would be the install price for one of these at a shop?
I'm in metro melbourne eastern suburbs.
They sound like a good budget way of getting further off-road.
Cheers
ickers11

Postby Phil675 on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 8:04 +0000

Well it has taken me a lifetime to finally install the 4WD systems Lokka - All I can say is, Feckin brilliant.

The infamous clicking noise - over 50km/hour, I cannot hear it, when I was going slow enough, I had to continually drive, slowly, around a roundabout, and point the clicking out to the other half, and she could not believe people had been whinging about it.

Off road, rock or sand, your having too much fun to notice any clicking, We have just spent a weekend a Loveday farm, we enjoyed the extra traction and forgot about the clicking.

As to how the Lokka performs, I'll try to put out a warts and all.
Advantages.
- Traction is vastly improved
- Fantastic price, $498
- Easy peasy install

Disadvantages.
- At a standstill, moving the auto shift from drive to reverse. The usual gearbox movement is exaggerated. This is an inherent part of the Lokka design. Not obtrusive, just noticeably more than usual.
- When driving, say 70km/h, on and off the throttle, this is noticeable.
- I can't list the clicking noise, I don't notice it anymore.

Would I advise anybody to fit one. - Absolutely, best bang for buck, ever.

I quite expect the Electronic or Pneumatic locker lovers will give me a hard time, but I think they are brilliant.

See ya down the Coorong in two weeks time.
Phil
Phil675

Postby taresk on Wed, 05 Oct 2016 2:09 +0000

Just thought I'd point out to anyone on a budget (like me, lol), these lockers are currently on sale: $800 for the pair, front and rear (supply only, plus shipping).
taresk

Postby wayne 91 on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 1:37 +0000

I've just got front and rear auto lockers in my hilux , not as bad what people say or think they are , I do hear the ratcheting around corners and roundabouts , you have to drive a little different and don't gun it around corners , on the highway at 100koh can't notice it , when u out it into 4wd can feel it under power but can turn easy when not under power , I reckon they are ok for the $$$ , hoes heaps of place in two wheel drive when I couldn't even go in 4wd , as long as drive accordingly won't be a problem in the rear or front , 1700$ all up to install that's including the lokkas ,
wayne 91

Previous

Return to Toyota News