Should i hold out for the new design hilux

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Re: Should i hold out for the new design hilux

Postby Bird on Mon, 01 Dec 2014 4:25 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:Except that's a dmax.

Boxies; your a life long yota man; so just a bit biased.

I had my heart set on a new hilux, I had wanted one forever. I did a ton of research and when the time finally came I ended up buying a DMAX, and havnt looked back..Id love to blend the two as each as +s and -s; but obviously thats impracticle

OP; unless your a die hard toytoa man keep you mind open and try the lot...Do you really own the first run of something? I wouldnt even with a toyota.

Whyd I DMAX?

Better motor= more economical, chain driven cam,lock nut valves keeps maintenance costs down.front mount IC,more grunt,injectors that dont destroy pistons when they fail,quieter and just felt less 'strung'. The truck is a good size imho, i can fold the backseat down ;-) and the 60/40 split is nice. The cheaper models lsm are better equipped then the SR. The panel work is actually thicker then the hilux too.

What I dont like:
'Plasticy' like all new cars, electronically engaged 4x4, TCS is inferior to the Toyota offroad, parts are more costly (filters etc).

Roo is a big fan on the 'zoozoo's; he might also chime in.
Bird

Postby boxhead55 on Mon, 01 Dec 2014 5:10 +0000

Yep sorry. I am sure there is a d max forum somewhere.
boxhead55

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 5:41 +0000

J.C wrote:
boxhead55 wrote:Learnt a long time ago. You get what you pay for.

What does the Hilux have that the D Max doesn't to justify its extra expense? Cheers

35+ year of a reliable reputation.

Much better aftermarket parts support.

Better availability of parts in remote areas.

If you interested in modifications, there is so much more available at so many different levels for the hilux than the Dmax.

Better resale value.

just to name a few.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 07luxyTD on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 5:59 +0000

Bird wrote:
boxhead55 wrote:Except that's a dmax.

Whyd I DMAX?

Better motor= more economical, chain driven cam,lock nut valves keeps maintenance costs down.front mount IC,more grunt,injectors that dont destroy pistons when they fail,quieter and just felt less 'strung'. The truck is a good size imho, i can fold the backseat down ;-) and the 60/40 split is nice. The cheaper models lsm are better equipped then the SR. The panel work is actually thicker then the hilux too.

What I dont like:
'Plasticy' like all new cars, electronically engaged 4x4, TCS is inferior to the Toyota offroad, parts are more costly (filters etc).

Depending how badly an injectors fails they all have potential to burn holes in pistons and destroy them.
Also with the front mount, depending on how much 4x4ing you do, a front mount is just somthing else that can clog with mud.
In saying that I don't mind the Dmax
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby scratcher on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 8:44 +0000

Big advantage for the hilux over the d-max (and most if not all other dual cabs) is all those blank panels for rocker switches and space under the bonnet for a second battery. It's built to meet basic needs of a majority, but allows for relatively easy modification for hardcore off-road if required.

If the new model Hilux loses all those blank panels for rocker switches I'll be very disappointed.
scratcher

Postby jaybags on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 9:00 +0000

Bird wrote:i can fold the backseat down ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3578&hilit=folding+back+seat&start=420

So can everyone else with a Hilux. It's a 5 minute modification.
As stated by Max and others, there's so much more after market support for the Hilux, better reputation, more modable options.
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby cmilton54 on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 11:53 +0000

Was Toyota in various models went away from them, took 5 to 11 years to get back to all Toyota fleet.
Wont be going away again.
Had Nissan, Holden and Mitubishi in between, run 4 vehicles.
Cheapest change over prices are Toyota on Toyota
cmilton54

Postby Bird on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 3:29 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:
J.C wrote:

What does the Hilux have that the D Max doesn't to justify its extra expense? Cheers

If you interested in modifications, there is so much more available at so many different levels for the hilux than the Dmax.

Better resale value.

just to name a few.

Dmaxs have also been in AU for over 30 years; but for most of there life they were sold as a Holden. Whilst the lux certainly is a reliable truck, the numerous owners with a seized 1KD might disagree. The 4JJ1 certainly has a better track record then the 1KD. Yes theres a zillion 1KDs on the road, but theres also a zillion 4JJs too, the smaller N series trucks run the same motor (though tuned differently)

Yep you can gets parts anywhere for a hilux; but the dmax does also use many of the same denso parts (fuel filters for one)

Totally agree; cant go past a lux for aftermarket gear; whether one really needs it all is a different thing, though you certainly are spoilt for choice with the lux.

Better resale; again totally true, but is it enough to offset the toyota tax? also buying an old shape now with the new one coming isnt going to do the values anything in your favor.

Agree regarding the switch blanks, another really nice thing with the lux. The dmax ones are a joke, stupid size and impossible to modify.

Yes the lux is the only one you can fit the 2nd battery under the bonnet, but your front guards will love you for not ;-)

Yes I know you can chop the bracket and have a folding seat; but in this day and age of litigation, id be concerned about having a crash if the seat were to release or somthing you might be in the s^&*0

A dmax you can remove the sump without taking the engine from the bay ;-) I can change my oil without getting it all over the cross member.. +s and -s like everything in life.

Im not here to sell the dmax; Im a big toyota man (cant beat a cruiser) but we are spoilt for choice nowadays in DC's; Im trying to say the OP shouldn't isolate himself to one make. Get out and try them all, really work out your requirements, and you never know, you might be surprised.

I think the lux is the pick for offroading; but the dmax is a better 'tourer/tug'.

Join the various "new" forums of the other makes and see what the real owners have to say; I did, and it certainly turned me off some of the other makes!

Just my two cents
Bird

Postby J.C on Tue, 02 Dec 2014 4:57 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:
J.C wrote:

Better resale value.

just to name a few.

So not a significantly superior vehicle. A few mates have them a love them.
Thanks to everyone for there input.
J.C

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 03 Dec 2014 8:54 +0000

Didnt think the OP was asking about a DMax...
Some good posts but no one has mentioned what the new model has over the existing 2014
Upgraded towing - so does this mean upgraded brakes +/- engine KW output?
BH has alluded to an updated fuel rail and injectors - or did I wishfully dream about that?
Does the new generation model maintain the existing chassis therefore allowing existing bar work to be modified to fit panels and trims?
What else - other than fruity headlights?
Difficult to provide a definitive answer when so much is unknown
DeadlyBeast

Postby Andy_B on Thu, 05 Mar 2015 4:24 +0000

Hi Guys,

This is my First post. I'm coming from a 2000 Prado GXL TD auto owned since new. It's been a very reliable rig but it's starting to get long in the tooth, so I'm going to the replacing it with an SR5 DC TD manual. I looked around at everything and test drove the amarok and Hilux Back to Back. The Amarok manual drove really nice, but the gearbox was quite notchy compared to the Hilux's gearbox. Also the Hilux felt like it was better screwed together.

I'm not close minded (my other car is a Skoda!) But i just felt that I couldn't really go past the Hilux. You can get reasonable deals at the moment. Plus the dealers don't mind fitting the ute out pre-delivery I'll be getting Leather, ARB Deluxe bar, scrub bars and rear bar all colour coded, Razorback Canopy, and OME 200KG lift. and Tint, paint protection and mats. VW commercial weren't interested in fitting it out an amarok.

I know the Hilux isn't a ground breaking ute, but it is relatively comfortable, reliable, and cheap to service and has heaps of aftermarket support.

Andy
Andy_B

Postby DrewXT on Thu, 05 Mar 2015 7:44 +0000

You need to find another VW dealer... Most off the Melbourne dealerships well happily accessorize a Rok, or its not that hard to DIY...

Leather is available from factory, and the other gear is all available from the big names...

(Yes, I own a Rok, and the 6 speed manual does free up)
DrewXT

Postby Andy_B on Thu, 05 Mar 2015 8:13 +0000

Maybe, but after all the issues I read about gearbox failures on ausamarok I chickened out.

Andy
Andy_B

Postby Sinan on Thu, 05 Mar 2015 8:35 +0000

Andy_B wrote:Maybe, but after all the issues I read about gearbox failures on ausamarok I chickened out.

Andy

Best mate bought an automatic trend line Amarok. Has 7000kms on it and is 6 months old. It is very nice to drive and the great box is amazing when it works. That was till a month ago when I took the car to the dealership for gearbox warranty work. They changed out the valve body and that didn't fix it so they swapped out the whole gearbox with a new one. I was shocked such significant work had to be carried out on a new car but when I searched the Internet, it seems to be a very common problem with most new Amaroks. It is luck of the draw if you will get s lemon or a good one.
cheers
Simon
Sinan

Postby 180degrees on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 8:14 +0000

Saw this nice amarok at the dealership when I was ordering an auxilary audio kit for my liberty looks like its already in for a new engine before registration :roll: :roll: Image
180degrees

Postby unruly_teapot on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 9:09 +0000

The new model wont have all the after market gear available straight away and the first couple years might have problems they wont fix until much, much later.
If you do buy a new one, enjoy the experience and good thing checking in on the forum for info to help you negotiate the deal!
unruly_teapot

Postby NZMarkb on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:31 +0000

I've seen plenty of Dubbies parked up on the side of the road over here (NZ) and heard of more than a few getting new engines fitted
I drove one for a week and didn't think that much of it
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bloke&tackle on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:06 +0000

History has shown over the decades that new models from any manufacturer have glitches that get sorted in subsequent facelifts and even serial number breaks between facelifts.
This is especially true for "all new" models where everything is new e.g. engine, trans etc.
Mate of mine was involved with the development side of things at the old Chrysler factory in Adelaide (before it became Mitsubishi) They had an understanding that they could do all the research, development and testing under the sun but nothing was truly tested until the public had their hands on it.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Postby Gary_s on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 2:46 +0000

Current shape all day everyday! New one looks like a kluger!

ImageImage
Gary_s

Postby Nick# on Sun, 29 Mar 2015 8:03 +0000

i asked the toyota dealer late last year and he told me they would be in production in october and delivery in Jan.
So i ended up getting an amarok and love it, but if the new hilux is the goods ill be getting one next trade in 2.5 years.
Nick#

PreviousNext

Return to Toyota News