2014 8th Gen Hilux Chat

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

2014 8th Gen Hilux Chat

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 12:01 +0000

Thought I'd start this thread so people can post any info that they may come across from the internet about the next generation hilux as we count down the last 2 years of the current generations life.

With the release of quite a few competitor vehicles in this range of late will be interesting to see what Toyota ends up doing.

If its anything following history, they'll make a big leap forward that will keep them in the lead easily for another 5 or 6 years until the competitors can catch up a little.

Anyway, heres an article I came across with some info....have a read, post your thoughts or anything else you may come across online...

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/360723EC27B0FC90CA257904001F6919
Next Toyota Hilux gets Aussie Touch

7 September 2011
By RON HAMMERTON

TOYOTA Australia will have a bigger say in the development of the next-generation Toyota HiLux light truck due in about 2014, with local engineers being nominated to head the chassis tuning for the Asia-Pacific region.

The input from the Melbourne-based Toyota Technical Centre will ensure that advanced safety features such as electronic stability control (ESC) will be a certainty across range next time around, helping the top-selling Toyota match new arrivals on the market such as the all-new Ford Ranger, Mazda BT-50 and Volkswagen Amarok.

The Japanese chief engineer for the eighth-generation HiLux recently visited Australia on a fact-finding mission, touring remote mines, farms and other places where HiLux has been a favourite in the harshest conditions for more than 40 years.

Said Toyota Australia senior executive director of sales and marketing David Buttner: “We took him all over the place and showed him as much as we could about HiLux in this market.”

Australia is one of Toyota’s most successful hunting grounds for HiLux, consuming about 10 per cent of global production in 2010, and about 700,000 units in total since the first generation was launched 43 years ago.
This success has been a major factor in driving Toyota to number one among automotive brands in this country – a fact not lost on head office planners in Nagoya.

This year, HiLux is Toyota’s biggest-selling model in Australia, topping the sales charts outright in Queensland, Western Australia and Northern Territory.

The next vehicle is in the early stages of development, with the current model destined to hold the fort at least three more years.
Launched in 2005, the existing model has just been given a mid-life facelift, with fresh face, revised model line-up that includes seven more diesel variants and improved value.

But with all-new rivals on the launch pad from Ford, Mazda, Holden and Isuzu and a rising threat from a raft of Chinese manufacturers, including Great Wall, Foton and ZX Auto, Toyota dealers will be looking forward to a total make-over of the HiLux to re-set the benchmark in Toyota’s favour, as the current model did six years ago.

Toyota Australia’s bid to have more input in the development of the next model would have been done no harm by the local input into the new-generation Yaris, with Toyota Australia engineers spending up to 18 months working alongside their head office counterparts in Japan to fine-tune the new model that is due to arrive Down Under in the final quarter of this year.

Toyota Australia corporate manager, product planning division Greg Gardner told GoAuto at this week’s launch of the facelifted HiLux that Aussie input into Yaris had paid big dividends, with the Australian engineers heading off issues that could have ended up affecting sales here.

He said one of the changes concerned the new electric power-assisted steering, with the Australian engineers coming down in favour of European steering box for the Australian model instead of a Japanese unit.

The issue was picked up in testing at the Japanese proving ground, and solved relatively easily at that early stage by upgrading to the European version for just $80 a unit.

Mr Gardner revealed that the Toyota Technical Centre, in suburban Notting Hill in Melbourne’s east, had been nominated to head up the chassis tuning for next-gen HiLux utes destined for the Asia-Pacific region – a first in HiLux development.

This role is expected to include ride and handling tuning, along with the integration of ESC and other new-age chassis aids across all models for the first time in HiLux.

Currently, ESC has been developed only for models with the largest, 17-inch wheels, meaning the flagship SR5 and mid-range SR Double Cab variants fitted with an optional $1500 safety pack.

Clearly, Toyota Australia executives would prefer to have ESC available across the range, and they made it clear this week that they would be pushing for it in the next generation – a position they will now be more easily able to influence with the input of Toyota technical Centre.

Although he would not comment directly in the future of HiLux, Mr Buttner said: “We are totally committed to improving the active and passive safety of every vehicle we bring to market.”

The facelifted HiLux, which was given its media launch in Townsville this week, gets some suspension revisions, mainly focusing on noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) improvements via new bushes, rather than ride and handling enhancement.

However, Mr Gardner said the 4x2 HiLux shock absorbers had been revised to achieve a flatter, more stable and more comfortable ride, especially over rough roads.

Another area that Australia will be hoping to influence is towing capacity. Although 4x4 HiLuxs now have a 2500kg braked towing capacity, this still falls short of the 3000kg offered by a couple of rivals.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: 2014 8th Gen Hilux Chat

Postby berniecam on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 6:20 +0000

Excellent Info Thank you.Pity we have to wait till 2014 cheers :( :( :(
berniecam

Postby brucehornet on Sun, 04 Dec 2011 5:57 +0000

get one now and trade up in 2 or 3 years
brucehornet

Postby RonBacardi8 on Sun, 04 Dec 2011 6:29 +0000

Well at least we all still have a semi current ute for another 2-3 years :lol: 8-)
RonBacardi8

Postby pisso01 on Sun, 04 Dec 2011 6:34 +0000

Can you pull the plug on the ESC? Because of this my current shape will probably be the last hilux i buy. Not saying ill swap to another manufacturer just keep this one for ages..

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby tidal on Sun, 04 Dec 2011 9:08 +0000

pisso01 wrote:Can you pull the plug on the ESC? Because of this my current shape will probably be the last hilux i buy. Not saying ill swap to another manufacturer just keep this one for ages..
Cheers,Chris.

I agree, they need to put an ESC off switch in the car that actually turns it completely off...
Rod

If you can’t fix it with a hammer you’ve got an electrical problem...
tidal

Postby aandy on Sun, 04 Dec 2011 9:32 +0000

I have a 2011 updated hilux, if I turn ESC off it comes back on after a minute or two, if I hold down the button it turns off ESC and Traction Control and won't come back on until I turn it on or turn the car off. On my recent trip to fraser it became automatic, start car, hold down button, take off.
aandy

Postby tidal on Mon, 05 Dec 2011 6:37 +0000

I will try the hold down method, I usually always use low range on the beach but if its easy going and want to cruise along a bit quicker high range it is. Problem is that even with ESC off it still activates the brakes when you hit other peoples wheel ruts in boggy bits.
Rod

If you can’t fix it with a hammer you’ve got an electrical problem...
tidal

Postby Loose Screw on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 8:02 +0000

mmaaxx thanks for this. Am I in the right place to ask/ beg/ PLEAD Toyota to DITCH THE DRUM BRAKES and GIVE US COIL SPRINGS AT THE BACK? :roll: :D
Loose Screw

Postby mint355 on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 8:41 +0000

I read somewhere on the net that the drum brakes are on our hilux. Because in Thailand to be classed as a commercial vehicle. "requires drum brakes on the rear" or something along those lines :roll:
Cheers
Clint Aldridge
mint355

Postby Loose Screw on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 9:12 +0000

I've come across that info on here too, something about tax or duty exemptions under Thai rules for vehicles with leaf springs/ drum brakes, maybe to do with them being classified as 'commercial' vehicles(?)

Point is Oz is a significant market for the Hilux as even Toyo acknowledges (see the bit mmaaxx highlighted in the article), so by rights we should get more say in vehicle specs for our own market, Shirley? The UK versions get a much better deal (ESC, bigger options list from 08 -->) than we do, even though the market for big boofy 4WD utes in the UK is tiny.
Loose Screw

Postby pisso01 on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:10 +0000

I agree. Maybe some how the aussie toyo engineers could be notfied if this site then they might take on a couple ideas..
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby Oz Bruiser on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:33 +0000

I have no idea if any truth in this or even if it has any imapct on Hilux's. I have a mate thats a BMW Fan, he posted elsewhere apparantly toyota is going to be sourcing their Diesel engines from BMW for their next genaration diesles. but i have no proof and i have no idea if any truth, but i thought id put it out there... :o
Oz Bruiser

Postby Loose Screw on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:47 +0000

Oz Bruiser wrote:I have no idea if any truth in this or even if it has any imapct on Hilux's. I have a mate thats a BMW Fan, he posted elsewhere apparantly toyota is going to be sourcing their Diesel engines from BMW for their next genaration diesles. but i have no proof and i have no idea if any truth, but i thought id put it out there... :o

Hmmm, a Bimmer inline 6 diesel in a Hilux... I could get used to that :D
Loose Screw

Postby kiwihilux on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:48 +0000

be nice if they made a model that was facory beam axle with coils! then options full coils :D
kiwihilux

Postby Steveyb on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 3:03 +0000

aandy wrote:I have a 2011 updated hilux, if I turn ESC off it comes back on after a minute or two, if I hold down the button it turns off ESC and Traction Control and won't come back on until I turn it on or turn the car off. On my recent trip to fraser it became automatic, start car, hold down button, take off.

:lol: :lol: I agree, it became second nature after the 2nd day the last time I was camping at straddie, I can't believe so many people have not referred to the user manual where it explains the long push of the button!
NLC
Steveyb

Postby Loose Screw on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 3:26 +0000

These days new sportsbikes (e.g. BMW S1000RR) come with maps for engine fuelling that are adjustable by the rider almost 'on the fly'.

So if you're reading this forum Mr Toyota, how about it. If ChipIt, NWM, Steinbauer & co can develop aftermarket chip kits with adjustable profiles, why can't Toyo with all its extensive know-how and resources and a 2-year lead-in sort something out as standard kit on high spec models and an option on lower spec ones?

It'd boot the opposition into touch... :D
Loose Screw

Postby berniecam on Fri, 09 Dec 2011 7:02 +0000

brucehornet wrote:get one now and trade up in 2 or 3 years

Yep very good idea,but this year is about shot,might be some very minor face lift about aug sept 2012 &I will bang an order in,have to update next year, Not keen about 2013,something about black cats & bad luck. :roll: :roll:
berniecam

Postby ausbushman on Mon, 12 Dec 2011 4:39 +0000

im looking forward to the new beast,will buy about 2 years after it comes,dont trust when new models first come out
ID RATHER BE FISHING
http://www.snakescatcher.com.au
ausbushman

Postby westy350 on Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:43 +0000

Anyone heard anything more about the next gen hilux? Looking at getting a new one but don't want to order one and in a year and a half have a new one come out (won't be delivered until May apparently)

Cheers
westy350

Next

Return to Toyota News