Lock up Your Hilux

News and discussions related to the Hilux brand

Lock up Your Hilux

Postby hobo on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 7:06 +0000

Front page of my local paper, inner west of Sydney (Newtown Glebe Ashfield areas).

I noticed the other week my torneau was unclipped in one corner when i got up to go to work about 6am.
Looks like I might have been one of the 'lucky' ones, I learnt the hard way many years ago not to leave any tools in the back overnight.

LOL at least we know the theives have a bit of class going after the Hiluxes
hobo

Re: Lock up Your Hilux

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 7:36 +0000

If you own a quality car chances are you got quality tools.... I bet you could park a Great Wall in Glebe and leave it unlocked all weekend...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wing on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 9:00 +0000

Will thieves only go after tools? I always leave my camping chairs, eskies and first aid box under the torneau. Or I should get a canopy.
Wing

Postby Sinan on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 9:42 +0000

Mate I would definately be doing something about it. Not worth an arm and a leg but just an inconvenience when you go camping and realize your stuff isn't their.
cheers
Simon
Sinan

Lock up Your Hilux

Postby fridgie on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 9:42 +0000

Tools are more bang for buck to thieves but they will generally grab what they can, if they can't use it they dump it.

Either way, we are the ones who pay :evil:

I had a pregio van done over a couple of years ago, and a hilux canopy broken into twice before that. All up lost about 8G worth of tools.

Pretty hard to get tool coverage as an employee without getting public liability but there are some companies that do it.

Thankfully, after the first time, I got mine covered, after the second time I got to cut sick in a tool shop spending spree :D
i know it's not a hilux but really.....WHO CARES!! We're all here for the same reason :D
fridgie

Postby Dukes on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:10 +0000

Had a bloke at work got his tool bag smashed and grabbed out of the passenger seat. I'm keeping all my tools on the back seat with the alarm upgrade and the anti-bandit tint, good luck trying to steal them in a hurry. :D
Dukes

Postby hobo on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 7:58 +0000

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Dukes, it wont stop 'em.

I lost 2 batt' drills/impact drill/circular & jig saw/belt sander and a heap of hand tools in seconds from the inside back of my old extra-cab. They were all 'out of sight' covered
In the time it took for the alarm to go off, me to jump out of bed and look over the verandah at what set it off and to get downstairs they were gone.

Cops knew all about the b*st*ards when I reported it... I was one of many to be hit by these 3 guys.
They'd pick a suburb and target every ute on the streets. Coppers reckoned they didnt 'eyeball' the utes first as they would break into some utes that had nothing in them to steal.

They'd steal a van (like a hiace), drive up & double park, the driver stays seated with the engine running, next guy 1/2 in 1/2 out of the side door of the van, third guy, smashes driver's window, flips seat fwd and grabs whatever he can & hands to the 2nd guy who throws each tool in van... in seconds they've cleaned you out & gone. :twisted:

Needless to say I never heard anything about my tools even though they were engraved with my driver's license number so I guess the cops never stumbled upon them anywhere :evil:

But then I never heard anything after my spare was stolen off the back of my patrol parked out the front. LOL coppers said to me, you reckon you're hard done by, drive down your street & check out your neighbour's patrol.... it's on bricks they stole all 5 of his wheels. :lol:

I also had stolen the complete LH tail light assembly off the old hilux... how did I know it happened out the front... because after I was told by a neighbour it was missing later in the day I had a look where I park and there nicely placed on the gutter were the screws & washers.... bastards :o

I'm "over" it now... couldn't be bothered getting annoyed or upset..... no doubt "something" will happen to this ute too.
hobo

Postby EASTCOAST on Tue, 26 Jul 2011 9:12 +0000

Without jinxing myself i havent had anything taken.
But when theres nothing in the back i leave the hard lid unlocked so anyone looking doesn't break in and damage my ute in for no reason.
I'll would get locked up if i caught some one touching my ute :x :x :x
******If you can ignore it its not a real problem******
EASTCOAST

Postby bloke&tackle on Fri, 29 Jul 2011 9:02 +0000

That copper looks suss to me.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Postby Stockman on Mon, 15 Aug 2011 1:02 +0000

Hi Guys

We have a product here in SA called a Securi Lid, works for me.

http://www.securi-lid.co.za
Rob Stock

If you don't have the right tools, don't start the job.
Stockman

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 15 Aug 2011 7:24 +0000

Stockman wrote:Hi Guys

We have a product here in SA called a Securi Lid, works for me.

http://www.securi-lid.co.za

yeah we have a couple of those problems as well.. Ive got the quig roller lid on mine, but there's also the ones from blueys utes that do a similar thing too..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Return to Toyota News