Styleside to tray swap

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Styleside to tray swap

Postby 000dylan000 on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 3:18 +0000

Hey All
I have done a search and found a little bit of info but not quite all that I was after.
I have an 03 V6 SR5 styleside and am thinking about swapping the tub to a tray back (selling the arb canopy to fund the swap :) ) and was just wondering about a few things before I lob in and do it.

1. Is it a straight forward job and are there any little things that will/might make life difficult? . My current understanding is it would require (aside from the obvious unbolting the old tray and bolting in the new one) rewiring the tail lights and possibly a bit of fiddling with the fuel filler.
2. Can any tray be easily modified to fit or do I need to hunt around for one that has come off a 98-04 Lux?
3. Does it need to be complianced or certified (I'm in QLD)
4. Anything else I should know so I don't wind up divorced with a buggered up car? :shock: ;)

Cheers
000dylan000

Re: Styleside to tray swap

Postby Matthew on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 3:45 +0000

Can't speak for 03 model but I did the same thing with my 07 SR5 dual cab. I just waited patiently (about 6 months) fro the right one to come up.
1. It was straight forward, only six bolts holding the tub on. The fuel filler was fiddly and the electrics easy. So your understanding is correct. Nothing any person with basic hand skills and common sense couldn't do.
2. I guess if you were handy with a welder you could modify any tray to fit. I preferred to wait for one off the same model, then had it sand blasted and powder coated.
3. Not in NSW.
4. I'd look for one off the same model. It is just easier.

Cheers.

Matt
Matthew

Re: Styleside to tray swap

Postby 06lux on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 4:07 +0000

hey mate
just finished doing mine
your spot on so far. any tray can be adapted to fit your chassis just as long as you dont touch your chassis only the tray. no need for a certificate in qld you can just swap it as long as your lights are adr approved you will be fine.
i have an 06 and i needed to direct the hoses on the fuel filler so it wouldnt back up when filling.

julz
FOR SALE
complete standard suspension
2x 265/70/15 general grabber at2 (not on rims)
P
06lux

Return to Exterior Mods