Roof rack solution.. Gutter mounting? Got Windcheetah rack?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Roof rack solution.. Gutter mounting? Got Windcheetah ra

Postby Packdaddy on Wed, 23 May 2012 11:12 +0000

Here's the picture from the Dolium site, I believe it's of the 1330mm long rack. I'm trying to decide if I'll be able to get the next size up on there, it's the same width (1225) but 1530 in length, so 200mm longer than in this picture... Thoughts?

Packer

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14867

'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men' - Sir Douglas Bader
Packdaddy

Postby Packdaddy on Sun, 03 Jun 2012 7:48 +0000

Picked up the rack on Friday and fitted it today, great rack... ( :lol: ). Ended up getting the Rhino tracks which are vehicle specific and fit in the rain channels on the roof. Drilled the holes, rust protected with zinc-it, then put some black silicon in the holes and riveted the track down. Also put some silicon on top of the rivets to be sure.

Only problem was the little alloy blocks that slide back and forth inside the track and retain the nuts that hold the rack down... They only fit in one way and stick up about 10mm above the track. The rack feet sit on top of these and bolt to them, but it's not right, because the feet don't contact the track and so don't bolt down against it. Theoretically the whole rack should move fore and aft, but it's rock solid for now, not sure why. Obviously the two products are not compatible, but it works until I find the solution during the week. Rhino feet must have some sort of spacer that fits around the block.

Aside from that, very happy with the setup. The tracks are flush with the roof and very neat. The rack is low profile, solid, well designed and makes almost no wind noise at all!

Oh and I ended up getting the bigger rack, dimensions are 1230 wide and 1550 long. You can see in the pics below that it is the perfect size for the dual cab roof.

Looks great, low profile:

As big as you could fit on a dual cab without hanging out front or back:

Front:

Back:

Track looks like it's factory. You can also see in this pic the two little alloy blocks that the feet sit on... It's not right, needs a spacer of some sort:
Packer

'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men' - Sir Douglas Bader
Packdaddy

Postby Alby on Sun, 03 Jun 2012 10:17 +0000

Love a great rack :) ;)
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Packdaddy on Wed, 06 Jun 2012 6:06 +0000

Ok fixed it, got some hexagonal flat nuts that fit in the tracks - problem solved.

While I was there (nowra 4wd and roof rack city) I bought a Sunseeker II awning which was on sale for $280! Bolted straight to the side of the rack :D
Packer

Packdaddy

Postby Packdaddy on Wed, 13 Jun 2012 2:41 +0000

Pic of the feet sitting flat on the tracks after getting the right hexagonal nuts that fit in the tracks

Packer

Packdaddy

Postby Alby on Wed, 13 Jun 2012 3:16 +0000

Neat job, do those feet come with the track or the rack?
How do you find the rack for wind noise?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Packdaddy on Wed, 13 Jun 2012 6:37 +0000

The feet came with the rack.

The rack makes almost no noise at all, it's kinda just noticeable at speed, anything about 100k or more I guess. But it's basically dead quiet, I think the snorkel made more noise than the rack, and that's not much at all.

Actually I've got you to thank, you're the one that mentioned them first! Cheers :D
Packer

Packdaddy

Postby Alby on Wed, 13 Jun 2012 6:44 +0000

That sounds good. I don't have one myself but like the low profile plus light and still solid.
Looks good on your Lux too.
Alby

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:18 +0000

did it add much fuel load packdaddy?

im very interested in this solution, though i don't want to stuff around and be middle man between two vendors ... sounds like this might be the case with this solution?
Qwerty

Postby Packdaddy on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:46 +0000

Hey Querty

To be honest I haven't checked the fuel consumption since fitting the rack, but it would purely be a function of the drag created by the rack, which would also cause wind noise. With just the rack on (ie no awning, shovel, jack etc it made almost no noise at all which makes me think the difference in fuel consumption would be minimal. you can also get different height legs with the rack, mine is very low profile, with only about 20mm between the roof and the rack at the lowest point. I think they were the 50mm legs...

The only issue I had with this install was created by the store giving me the wrong parts initially - once I got the hex nuts to fit in the tracks (bought over the counter at roof rack city Nowra) it was a piece of cake. pretty sure the nuts are a standard part for the tracks, they knew straight away what I needed.

I priced up the Rhino luggage rack you're looking at too, can't remember the price but it was comparable from memory, I obviously prefered this one. Seemed stronger, more solid and looked the part too. I also figured it was more adaptable to mounting things on the sides, where I'd have to have used brackets fir my awning etc

If you need any more info I'm happy to help mate
Packer

Packdaddy

Postby Packdaddy on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:49 +0000

By the way I got both the Rhino tracks and the windcheetah rack from opposite lock with all the bolts etc for... $1150 off the top of my head
Packer

Packdaddy

Roof rack solution.. Gutter mounting? Got Windcheetah rack?

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:43 +0000

Thanks bro still got two options on the simmer upstairs.
Qwerty

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:58 +0000

This is a very well timed post for me as of October I'll have two back seat passengers and need to expand the 'upstairs' in a way to accomodate an Oztent plus other bulky stuff. This looks to be the best solution. I currently use two removable rhino (75kg rated) bars which are excellent for hwy and good dirt roads but on my recent trip where I did lots of 4wding they moved around heaps. Rhino do not actually rate my racks for 4wding and it has become apparent why they say this now. I've always liked the versatility of removing the bars so I don't have to put up with that noise when not touring. How easy is it to take platform on and off? (obviously the track stays).
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
2007Lux

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:25 +0000

hmm what do you mean they move around a bit?

I'm looking at the rhino racks sportz model, they're bolted in I thought.
Qwerty

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 1:53 +0000

The actual feet for the bars which sit on rubber pads and then clamp to the roof moved about 3 inches forward on one side, whcih then caused the other side losen up. Did you follow that description? I've been using these bars for about two years and haven't had an issue but on my last trip I put the oztent plus zip on panels, three chairs, a swag, rod tube, shovel and a set of Max trax up there and did some quite rough driving over three days. The 4wding was on the slow side over annoying limestone capstone of the Nullarbor causing the car to rock from side to side rather than high speed corrugations. All said and done the racks stayed up there and didn't break\come off so I'd be happy to keep them if I didn't need to expand the upstairs due kids in the back seats. I'd say the combined weight up top was 35 - 40kgs.

These are what I have
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/Vehicle_TOY ... _4211.aspx

The racks may have been given a really good jolt when me and the track parted company at around 50km/hr on the drive in to the cmp site. :o Still yet to fix that mirror.
2007Lux

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 2:04 +0000

I'm going these sportz ones which bolt into the toyota tracks ... rather than using a clamp mount system.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/Vehicle_TOY ... _4211.aspx

any opinion on thoise?
Qwerty

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 2:46 +0000

I definitely want to go bolt in due to strength. I didn't realise they did a slim line bar with a 100kg load rating? Interesting that they do not recommend the alloy baskets for these, not sure why? I mainly need a platform for my Oztent. My dream solution is have a platform with sides except where the Oztent goes. Have considered getting a custom alloy tray so fit an a set of rhino bars, not sure where to look in WA, although I haven't tried looking yet.
2007Lux

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 2:51 +0000

I've got an oztent and although had been considering a platform am going to just go for roof racks, why not? why do you need a platform for oztent?

the sportz one is slimline, not too high .. so i cna still fit under stuff, and less wind drag / fuel .
Qwerty

Postby kyle300exc on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 4:54 +0000

Just to throw my 2 cents worth in, the kit above that 2007 lux posted are really not recommended for off road as they have been known to "let go". Saying this I have used them myself as they were a cheap option. I am looking around atm for something more like what Alby has suggested.
If your going to mount your OZ tent (mine is an RV5) I have damaged my frame from it sitting on a heavy duty bar when I travelled the Vic High country. I added a Rhino basket which is only 400ml wide with sides which holds the tent nice and snug. Next trip I found the bolts holding the basket down had warn through the cover of the tent so I then cable tied a strip of thin rubber to the bottom of the basket. Havnt had a problem since, until now when I just replaced my tub and canopy with a tray so it all starts over again, tray is only 1500 long :lol:
Last edited by kyle300exc on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 5:01 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 4:59 +0000

I'm confused, we have hiluxes with the roof channels , strong as an ox?

When you refer to the "kit" kyle, do you mean that 07lux fitted a clamp style sytsem, instead of using proper hilux track mounted system?

Reckon my sportz system will go OK? RhinoRack (TL Engineering in bassendean WA) reckon it'll be fine (and i trust them) : http://www.rhinorack.com.au/Vehicle_TOY ... _4211.aspx
Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods