Roof rack solution.. Gutter mounting? Got Windcheetah rack?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Roof rack solution.. Gutter mounting? Got Windcheetah ra

Postby kyle300exc on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 5:06 +0000

Yes exactly I think they call them a gutterless mount system or similar.
yes the kit your looking at is a much better set up.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Packdaddy on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 5:09 +0000

Hey guys.

May rack is definitely harder to take off than bars - it has two bolts on the inside of each foot, the hard part is getting to the bolts though and is mainly because the feet I got are pretty low to the roof. Hence it's awkward getting in there. I use a ratchet spanner, there's no way I could get a socket in there.

Aside from that it's obviously bigger and takes two people to lift on and off. It's not very heavy though, nothing like steel ones (done that before!)

I had aero bars like those rhino sports on my last car, a commodore. In all honesty with nothing on either, they were 10 times louder than this rack. They used to howl at 80kmh or more.

Also the 100kg rating is based on the roof rating for the hilux, not on the rack or bars. Apparently the roof skin is fairly thin.
Packer

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14867

'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men' - Sir Douglas Bader
Packdaddy

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 7:43 +0000

Qwerty wrote:I've got an oztent and although had been considering a platform am going to just go for roof racks, why not? why do you need a platform for oztent?

the sportz one is slimline, not too high .. so i cna still fit under stuff, and less wind drag / fuel .

I mainly want the platform so I can put other stuff up there that current system doesn't permit. I'd say those bars will be great for the oztent.
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
2007Lux

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 7:48 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:Just to throw my 2 cents worth in, the kit above that 2007 lux posted are really not recommended for off road as they have been known to "let go". Saying this I have used them myself as they were a cheap option. I am looking around atm for something more like what Alby has suggested.
If your going to mount your OZ tent (mine is an RV5) I have damaged my frame from it sitting on a heavy duty bar when I travelled the Vic High country. I added a Rhino basket which is only 400ml wide with sides which holds the tent nice and snug. Next trip I found the bolts holding the basket down had warn through the cover of the tent so I then cable tied a strip of thin rubber to the bottom of the basket. Havnt had a problem since, until now when I just replaced my tub and canopy with a tray so it all starts over again, tray is only 1500 long :lol:

I have also worried about damaging my oztent (also an RV5) but so far no issues, probably a reflection of the fact I get to my camping spots in 2wd\easy 4wd, set up camp and then trip from there unloaded. If I went with this windcheetah set up I'd consider building up the inside of the basket (if you can call it that at all) so all points of contact with the oztent would be approximately the same height.
2007Lux

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 8:20 +0000

2007Lux wrote:
Qwerty wrote:I've got an oztent and although had been considering a platform am going to just go for roof racks, why not? why do you need a platform for oztent?

the sportz one is slimline, not too high .. so i cna still fit under stuff, and less wind drag / fuel .

I mainly want the platform so I can put other stuff up there that current system doesn't permit. I'd say those bars will be great for the oztent.

I been looking at the rhino rack pioneer platform. But nearly double the cost of an already exxy tent and rack I thought nah roof rack will do me.
Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 8:23 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:Just to throw my 2 cents worth in, the kit above that 2007 lux posted are really not recommended for off road as they have been known to "let go". Saying this I have used them myself as they were a cheap option. I am looking around atm for something more like what Alby has suggested.
If your going to mount your OZ tent (mine is an RV5) I have damaged my frame from it sitting on a heavy duty bar when I travelled the Vic High country. I added a Rhino basket which is only 400ml wide with sides which holds the tent nice and snug. Next trip I found the bolts holding the basket down had warn through the cover of the tent so I then cable tied a strip of thin rubber to the bottom of the basket. Havnt had a problem since, until now when I just replaced my tub and canopy with a tray so it all starts over again, tray is only 1500 long :lol:

Hmm it bent the oztent chassis coz all the weight was focused only on two points of rest (the roof racks) ?? So on rough road forces bent the tent frame? In can see that a platform would prevent that or am I over thinkin it ?
Qwerty

Postby Packdaddy on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 9:11 +0000

2007Lux wrote:I have also worried about damaging my oztent (also an RV5) but so far no issues, probably a reflection of the fact I get to my camping spots in 2wd\easy 4wd, set up camp and then trip from there unloaded. If I went with this windcheetah set up I'd consider building up the inside of the basket (if you can call it that at all) so all points of contact with the oztent would be approximately the same height.

What size is the oztent when it's packed up?

I can measure my rack for ya if it helps... The height of the frame is not much above the bars, probably about half an inch at a guess. So you could cut some ply to fit maybe
Packer

'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men' - Sir Douglas Bader
Packdaddy

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:04 +0000

Oz tent RV5, Weight: 22kg; Packed Size: 2m x 0.45m x 0.15m (figures from net).

My current bars are probably about 1.2m's apart, I' m guessing though
2007Lux

Postby Packdaddy on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 9:09 +0000

Oh ok well it's definitely not gonna fit within the frame of the rack, but yeah you could easily cut up some ply or something to build it up to be flat
Packer

Packdaddy

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 9:31 +0000

Gents, sorry if im repeating ... but are you suggesting that supporting an oztent on a standard pair of roof racks (sportz rack in my case) is bad news?

I don't do hardcore wheeling, more touring , beach and tracks ... but it's not to say shit doesn't get thrown around screaming up dunes ... I do get the odd cracked beer or "was that necessary" look from the gf which usually is my litimus test.
Qwerty

Postby 2007Lux on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:16 +0000

As far as I am concerned using two bars to carry an RV5 is fine, even when doing the odd bit of thrashing whilst loaded. Rhino do make a steel basket which kyle300exc is running up top, but I couldn't justify the extra $260ish, after forking out around $1700 for my tent, awnings and rhino bars. Not sure how much this basket weighs either, kyle300 might be able to tell us as the rhino site I just checked does not state a weight.
2007Lux

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:24 +0000

yeah i was just curious that a couple of fellas have mentioned damaging their oztents by having the weight placed on racks instead of platform.

I've got RV3, but essentiually same setup.
Qwerty

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:54 +0000

The basket itself would come in at around 15kgs. I think for general 4 wheeling the 2 bars would be fine to support the tent but on tracks where you have rock steps, drop offs etc then that's when they would benefit with the support IMO
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 1:09 +0000

i'm trying to avoid the basket and/or platform for height & fuel efficiency purposes.

I'm tinking though that the basket system might be pretty easy to attach/ remove on demand? (so i only fit basket when i go offroad).

But the baskets are not bloody cheap.

Other option I was thinking was just some sort of flat strong base to have in the oztent bag itself ... so it disperses the weight points and the oztent internally lies on it within the tent bag)

thinking out aloud here to extent.
Qwerty

Postby Elrico on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:13 +0000

Well i gave ARB a call today. They want $800 for a 4 sided roofrack cage 1250X1120 including the mounts. Is this a decent deal? Are there many other options, as i am going for the 4 sided steel caged look. Im also buying a 1+ meter LED lightbar too mount to the front of it, so am in need of a 4 sided cage. Seems pretty expensive for a rack thats only 1250X1120. Been keeping my ears open over gumtree, quokka and ebay but alas nothing as of yet!
Elrico

Postby Packdaddy on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:04 +0000

If u want something cheaper, maybe have a look at the tigerz11 racks. They have a few sizes and are much cheaper than ARB. Dunno about quality but they look ok and are less than half ARBs price. They do steel and alloy too I think
Packer

Packdaddy

Postby Elrico on Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:13 +0000

I bit the bullet (and just refound this thread after lying in another thread and saying i cant find Roof Rack threads after seaching lol :lol: ). I have ended up with the ARB rack. I like the look, I just got a whopping tax return and arent skimp on cash anymore.....even though Europe draws closer :D.

As i stated in the other thread, apparently you have too drop the roof skin to install this kit. I also noticed someone else say if you had a vacuum, you could avoid dropping the roof skin, which would be a blessing. Providing the vacuum is powerful enough, and care is taken with the drilling, would it be advisable to use this method. Or is the roof lining something that is going to need to be dropped and i should just stop being lazy? ;) I hope its not a pain to get back up lol
Elrico

Postby Blackie2008 on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 4:01 +0000

I fitted my rhino racks without dropping the roof lining. It even suggests this method in rhinos instructions. The vacuum is to avoid the little bits of swarf going AWOL and then eating into your paint once it gets wet and as long as u use a stop drill you won't punch a hole in your roof lining.
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Postby Elrico on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 4:23 +0000

Forgive my ignorance but if the roof lining is not removed, then how exactly did you bolt the racks into the roof? Id of thought tapping the metal would be a bad idea as its thickness would'nt be enough too give a 'meaty' thread. And without getting access too the bottom of the roof, you would'nt be able to place a nut too bolt it down. Am i confused somewhere here :D

Sorry guys! :?
Elrico

Postby Packdaddy on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 5:25 +0000

Yeah the tracks are riveted to the roof skin, not bolted. The rivets that came with the track were pretty good, the largest size I could fit in my normal rivet gun and popping them took a two hands, but can be done with a hand riveter.

I didn't remove the roof liner either... Just by the way a drill bit works, most if the metal is brought out of the hole so not too much would be left in there anyway, plus the vacuum helps a little. For a drill stop i just used a piece of fuel hose on the drill bit, worked a treat and the only 'drill stops' I could find were really depth gauges rather than stops - they're not really strong enough to stop the drill without slipping when you push through the roof. Cut the hose as long or short as you need it and it stops up against the chuck.
Packer

Packdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods