Bull bars - alloy/steel - pros/cons

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Postby holdon on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 6:57 +0000

Im looking at fitting a bull bar to my hilux. Looking around there are so many to choose from.

What are the pros/cons of alloy V steel?

There have been some 2nd hand factory allow bars on ebay that have been selling for as little as $300 which have caught my eye. I actually prefer these bars over the aftermarket ARB/TJM bars as they don’t appear so agricultural but there must be reasons why these people are removing them from their trucks. (are the factory allow bars winch compatible??)

Know I know that the steel bars are stronger but the way I see it if you were to hit something hard enough to bend a alloy bar beyond repair you would also damage the steel bar to some extent too. And in a big accident both would be write offs….

Im just after some front end protection for off roading and somewhere to mount lights and aerial.

Im leaning towards the alloy mainly because of the weight difference (can anyone confirm how much this is?) and sagging of the front end.
holdon

Re: Bull bars - alloy/steel - pros/cons

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 8:07 +0000

Hi Holdon.
I believe that you are right, you cannot fit a winch to a factory alloy bar. You will experience some sagging issues as well if you fit a steel bar as they are about 2-3 times the weight of an alloy one. The ARB bar weighs approximately 45kg. It will drag your front end down between 15 - 20 mm if you fit a winch as well it will come down more so you would have to look into fitting suspension as well.
Steel bars are mainly designed for animal strikes and to protect your vital components at the front of your car. ie Radiator airconditioning condensor etc etc. I have hit a roo at about 100ks and hour and there was absolutely no damage at all to even the driving lights. Steel bars can also reduce your approach angle to a certain degree as well as they sit out further to accomodate the winch.
The alloy bar tucks up tighter to the front of the vehicle.
I have also seen a new style of alloy bar, but nobody on the forum has one that I have come across.. I have seen them fitted to REED construction hiluxs. They look like the alloy bar fited to older model hiluxs.
If you looking for something to just mount the driving lights and aerial to the stock alloy bar would be alright at $300.
Monsterides a forum sponsor also does a high clearance tube bar called the XROX bar. Mmaaxx has one fitted and he could tell you a bit more about that particualar bar.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby Jack S on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 8:36 +0000

Mate the main thing is strength:
* if you plan on charging down a group of roos doing 120km than i would suggest a steel bar.
* if you plan on charging down a flock of butterflies at the same speed than i think an alloy bar will be fine.

Another thing is weight. But it souley depends on what your using the hilux for....
Jack S

Postby Bull on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 9:42 +0000

Re-driving lights on the factory alloy "bullbar". Find a Hilux that still has one and give it a shake (or a kick). Not a very solid mount for lights.
Bull

Postby sparky on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 7:08 +0000

Hey stick to steel ,you dont have to polish them which is a real pain and they are a lot stronger
sparky

Postby gruntre69 on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 8:42 +0000

I luv my ARB deluxe bar! Go steel!!!!
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Alby on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 9:25 +0000

If you are looking for better approach angle off road the alloy grader blade type will not help you, unless you can find a ARB style profile in ally you would be better of with the steel or the Xrox style???
If you are just wanting lights and Ariel mount you could also go a nudge bar.

If you are looking to due any sort of suspension upgrade or lift anyway it is no big deal or $ to get the heavier springs to accommodate a steel bar............you may also have the weight of a second battery in the mix as well.

Maybe give some thought to the bigger picture of what mods you are adding in this regard and the type of bar choice will be easier.?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby elvin on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 2:05 +0000

I've just replaced my breaker Toyota alloy bar with an ARB steel one. I want to fit a winch soon and the alloy was not winch conpatible. (read not strong enough). However it did a god job mounting the UHF areal, room for driving lights, and a place to tie down the front end of my kayak. And it looked pretty schmick too. I will be selling it on ebay soon. Will suit a 2000 model Hilux (1997 - 2002).
elvin

Postby steelecarins on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 4:45 +0000

Have had both on Hilux's and Cruiser's and have decided on Alloy from now on. If you do hit something that is going to stuff up an Alloy one, better to wreck it and not the chassis or mounting points. The weight of a steel one kills the front suspension of all vehicles. Notify the insurance company with exactly what you end up fitting, and if their anything like mine, hitting a tree and bending up an Alloy bar is new replacement.
steelecarins

Postby berniecam on Tue, 05 Apr 2011 8:04 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:I luv my ARB deluxe bar! Go steel!!!!

Totally agree me too :D :D :D
berniecam

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 05 Apr 2011 8:36 +0000

The biggest draw back IMHO about alloy is 95% of them are not winch compatible because the strength isn't there.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Return to Exterior Mods