Hardlid foiling against headboard

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Hardlid foiling against headboard

Postby JFlacky on Sun, 10 Mar 2024 9:53 +0000

Hi guys,

Hoping for a bit of advise.

I’m fitting a Hardlid onto my 05 but my tub has the headboard installed in against the rear window. Has anyone had this combo and made it work? I’m wondering whether to remove the entire headboard or if it’s just easier to notch into the Hardlid infill panels to make it fit. Less mucking about with something I may regret the better.

Thanks guys.

JFlacky

Re: Hardlid foiling against headboard

Postby Chopps on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 5:44 +0000

If you are fitting a hard lid the headboard will be redundant unless you intend to carry cargo on top of the hard lid
Chopps

Postby Flacky on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 8:29 +0000

Chopps wrote:If you are fitting a hard lid the headboard will be redundant unless you intend to carry cargo on top of the hard lid

Thanks, Chopps, you make a very valid point that I didn't think about. I was planning on putting on some crossbars to carry swags and recovery boards to free up the roof and the tub, but nothing overly heavy.

Thinking I should probably notch out the infill panels.

I'll browse the site to see if anyone else has put crossbars on their hard lids.

Flacky

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:46 +0000

Ditch the headboard and it will fit. In the picture you have a sports bar... Why do you want both?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby JFlacky on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 3:31 +0000

I bought my Hilux years ago which had the soft tonneau, sports bar, and headboard. Is this not a standard combination?

Today I played around with the placement of the sports bar. The bar fouls against the top of the headboard when trying to move it as far up as it needs to be, so it looks like I have no option but to cut away the headboard.
JFlacky

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 3:43 +0000

I've noticed this "Headboard" issue come up a couple of times.
Hard Lids, Tub Canopies all need it gone.
I wonder if Toyota might take on board a suggestion to make the Headboard on the Hilux an easily removable item. 2 Tech Screws to replace the spot welds, how hard can this really be?
Rob_Wood

Postby Chopps on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 3:46 +0000

Flacky wrote:Thanks, Chopps, you make a very valid point that I didn't think about. I was planning on putting on some crossbars to carry swags and recovery boards to free up the roof and the tub, but nothing overly heavy.

I'll browse the site to see if anyone else has put crossbars on their hard lids.
[/img]

It looks much cleaner without the headboard bars
I wouldnt bother with cross bars if its only swags going up on the lid
Seen a few hilux owners cut the bars off with a cutting disc (protect the cab with a heavy drop sheet/cardboard/ally sheet) and prime the cutoffs before installing the hard cover
Chopps

Postby Flacky on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 4:25 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:I've noticed this "Headboard" issue come up a couple of times.
Hard Lids, Tub Canopies all need it gone.
I wonder if Toyota might take on board a suggestion to make the Headboard on the Hilux an easily removable item. 2 Tech Screws to replace the spot welds, how hard can this really be?

I hear ya, very annoying
Flacky

Postby Flacky on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 4:27 +0000

Chopps wrote:
Flacky wrote:Thanks, Chopps, you make a very valid point that I didn't think about. I was planning on putting on some crossbars to carry swags and recovery boards to free up the roof and the tub, but nothing overly heavy.

[/img]

It looks much cleaner without the headboard bars
I wouldnt bother with cross bars if its only swags going up on the lid
Seen a few hilux owners cut the bars off with a cutting disc (protect the cab with a heavy drop sheet/cardboard/ally sheet) and prime the cutoffs before installing the hard cover

Thanks mate,

Headboard will coming off tomorrow.
Flacky

Postby Flacky on Tue, 12 Mar 2024 5:06 +0000

The headboard is off, and the lid is on. Will either colour-code it or have it finished in black. For the time being, it can sit as is.

Happy with the result. Thanks for the input guys.

Flacky

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 13 Mar 2024 5:11 +0000

Looks tidy, just don't let the missus know you've finished it or you might need to do the other end of the mezzanine floor. ;) ;) ;)
Rob_Wood

Re: Hardlid fouling against headboard

Postby JFlacky on Wed, 13 Mar 2024 7:12 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Looks tidy, just don't let the missus know you've finished it or you might need to do the other end of the mezzanine floor. ;) ;) ;)
JFlacky

Re: Hardlid fouling against headboard

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 14 Mar 2024 7:44 +0000

JFlacky wrote:
Rob_Wood wrote:Looks tidy, just don't let the missus know you've finished it or you might need to do the other end of the mezzanine floor. ;) ;) ;)

Okie then, just guessing here, but is "JFlacky" actually "Mrs Flacky"? Did I just put my foot in it for you? Apologies, but I'm out, you're on your own bud. :? 8-) :lol:
Rob_Wood

Return to Exterior Mods