ARB Base Rack Vibration and Wind Noise

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

ARB Base Rack Vibration and Wind Noise

Postby Fnordy on Mon, 10 May 2021 9:31 +0000

Heya - new SR5 and new to this forum but several Pajeros/ Tritons, and last four vehicles have all been 200 VX.

Rhino platform on several previous LC200s but given Tyler Thompson, Ronny Dahl, AutoExpert issues with Rhino Rack I opted for ARB Base Rack which is bolted with bracing across the strengthened panel joins.

Immediately out of their Osborne Park workshop there was a major metal-on-metal vibration. I pulled over and was able to replicate the noise just by lightly tapping on the front of the platform. The edges of the front bar were flexing and banging against the front of the back bone. Bolt points for platform were 200mm back form front edge and even bolted tightly there was a 1mm gap at the very front and 40kph wind was enough to cause this to vibrate.

I was able to fix this by lifting the platform and running a line of thin double-sided tape the full length of the top of the backbone (didn't remove top adhesive cover) and then clamping the platform down squishing the tape and no more metal-on-metal vibration, even at 115kph.

As soon as I fixed the metal-on-metal vibration I was then about to hear the wind noise from the ARB Base Rack. It is diabolical. Maybe 10-20 times louder than the full-length Rhino platform on the 200 Series.

Admittedly ARB were out of stock on the deflector ordered with the base rack and awaiting supply / install but I was not given any information about the wind noise when I purchased it, and only when it was unavailable during fitting that ARB became reluctant to install base rack without it (sudden admission that they will no longer install without a deflector, where as during the sale process they talked about it as an 'option but recommended to prevent any risk of wind noise')

Anyone else had hassles with metal-on-metal vibrations? Dovetail mount points look great and ability to fit accessories without having to slide out others first is very handy (coming from 2m long north-south platforms with centres slots on 200 series that is).

Thanks in advance!

PS - obviously waiting on the deflector which should help with wind noise but seems to be a couple of design flaws here if so bad you can't use without it when fine on Rhino platforms
Fnordy

Re: ARB Base Rack Vibration and Wind Noise

Postby tinta on Sun, 13 Jun 2021 2:50 +0000

Hey there,

I have a ARB Baserack on a Landcruiser 100 with exactly the same issues you have described!

I enquired via the ARB website, and my enquiry was replied to by an authoirised installer UV4X4 here in Brisbane. Not sure why it didn't get directed to an ARB site - but anyway, I went with it. After a long wait (October 2020 to late January 2021), installation day arrived.

Rack was installed and my wife picked up the car. I inspected it when I returned home to identify that no wind deflector was installed. Before ordering the rack, I obtained a copy of the ARB dealer release notes which specifically said that a wind deflector was required to redice wind noise. The installers said they were not provided with a deflector, so I had to wait several weeks for ARB to supply one to them.

Took it back and wind deflector was installed (actually, I took it back twice becauser the first time they didn't have the bolts for the deflector, so it took another couple of weeks to get those).

The wind noise was substantially improved - to a level that is acceptable when compared to no rack at all. BUT..... the metal on metal vibration is still there and worse than ever because thats basically the only noise you hear now. I also tapped the front of the rack and experienced the harmonic vibration the OP describes too.

After I complained to the installer, they went to ARB and said I can have a full refund or deal with it as is. The word from the installer is that several customers have had similar complaints in relation to a vibration.

From my perspective, the vibration is unacceptable and extremely annoying when driving at any speed... generally about 70kmh+ Its actually embarrasing to have passengers in there with me. I look like an idiot for spending $2k on rack that vibrates like crazy at road speed.

I have another option of going with a Rhino platform with Backbone (which I don't like the look of) or RCH legs.... these racks too have a lot of bad reviews for wind noise.... none for vibration though. After my ARB experience, I'm hesitant to trust any manufacturer now.

My question to OP, can you provide some more information about how you eliminated the vibration? I was thinking about sandwiching some sort of tape/foam in between the mounting points and the rack. I'm glad that has solved it for you.

Have you got the wind deflector for yours? Has it solved the wind noise issue?

Keen to hear your progress.
tinta

Postby Fnordy on Sun, 13 Jun 2021 5:45 +0000

Heya Tinta - different vehicles but it feels like we are experiencing the same time of issue but the other way around.
- I am still waiting for my deflector and the wind noise without it is HUGE - like I am driving through a wind tunnel even at 60+kph (and is worse the faster you go beyond 60kph)
- The deflector was pitched to me as an optional item when I originally ordered but by the time I had the vehicle in, it was revised to 'mandatory' (likely based on their feedback)
- I was able to all but eliminate the vibration lifting the base rack and running a long line of double-sided tape the full length of the backbone. I opted for the slightly-spongy outdoor tape (not real spongy but probably 1-2mm thick clear 3M which isn't cheap). I had a 25M roll lying around.
- I didn't end up taking the top protective coat off the tape as there is a fair bit of play when aligning the platform and I was doing it solo so I lifted one side, applied removed the bottom protective so the tape is only stuck on the bottom / backbone side and just using it as a cushion / sponge layer. I now only infrequently hear the vibration (once for a second or so every few weeks) and only combination of wind speed and angle like when coming off an freeway exit ramp.
- ARB has told me that the deflector is bolted to both the base rack and backbone so eliminates the vibration.

Not sure if any of that is helpful to you or not, but
1) I would only be dealing with an ARB-owned store rather than reseller for a resolution if you can; and
2) This is a problem of mechanics and is not impacting everyone. If it were wide spread, the forums would be full of complaints. This gives me some comfort that it can be resolved :)
3) ARB Drill and screw through strengthened / thicker parts of the panel when two panels are welded. Rhino rivets through the panel without dropping the liner. These are Hilux specific issues as no roof rails and I wouldn't now replace as the roof panels would end up being swiss cheese with holes and patching. 200 Series used the mount points for the roof rails which are already reinforced. No idea what the 100 series used (been too long since I had one) but if it is bolted like Hilux then def worth fixing. I suspect your deflector has not been installed correctly or that $30 of double sided tape will fix it permanently.

Interested to know how you go and good luck!
Fnordy

Postby tinta on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 7:17 +0000

Hi mate
Thanks for the reply
- have you finally got your wind deflector?
- yes it’s absolutely necessary… so I’m glad it’s no longer an option
- I pulled the rack off and put some black 3M double sided tape where the rack meets the the backbone… this has solved the vibration issue thankfully! Not sure about your rack, but on the 100 series rack, not each cross bar is bolted to the backbone… only 3 out of maybe 8… and I think a bit of the vibration was coming from the pieces touching but not bolted together
- yes the deflector bolts to the rack and backbone, but that alone did not previously solve vibration issue for me.
- when pulling rack off, I noticed many bolts were torqued differently… giving everything a good tighten probably helped me too…. Note with the deflector that the clips need to be super firm to avoid any vibration. My a couple of mine were not tight… although they all had loctite thankfully.

I forgot to mention in my original post that after taking my car back for a third time to get the deflector installed, I opened the sunroof to have a look only to notice that 1 of the deflector bolts was finger tight!

Lucky for me my rack is attached to factory mounting points, no holes cut in my roof.

I agree with going direct to ARB for installation…I will do that next time…. But honestly, I think since those racks were new designs, I wouldn’t be surprised if ARB was providing less than ideal installation guidance. A good indicator of this is changing their mind about the wind deflector being mandatory. I still cannot believe that they think metal on metal would not cause vibration issues.

So after many months, and a few hours work on my part pulling the rack apart and reinstalling it, my problem seems to be fixed. In my opinion the 3M tape between the backbone and the rack is essential! They should include a roll with every rack purchased hahahah!

ARB gave me the option of a refund under warranty, but since I couldn’t find any other racks that look as good, nor did I want to risk another rack with the same or worse issues, I’ve decided to keep it.
tinta

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 7:48 +0000

Getting a bit of De Ja Vu here. I get the feeling this one was discussed not long ago?
Rob_Wood

Return to Exterior Mods