Installing ARB Deluxe bullbar - replacing factory alloy

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Installing ARB Deluxe bullbar - replacing factory alloy

Postby clampy on Sun, 07 Oct 2018 8:53 +0000

So... my Lux will be getting a facelift in the next week: an ARB Deluxe bar (yay!) to replace the existing Forge alloy bar. Its the SR5 spec bar, so fogs being added too.

DIY install, and going to post up my findings along the way, including:

• Fog light install. the car has the fog light fuse and relay in place (in fuse box next to main batt), and the plugs are hanging in the front of the car. I have an SR5 indicator stalk incoming, so we will see how that goes....
  • DRL install since i am going with the STEDI lights with inbuilt DRLs which are a bolt in replacement for the arb fogs (which are bolt in replacements for toyota ones?). for DRLs, so far i cant work out a way to do DRLs with any less than 2 relays(one of those being a 5 pin, so i use headlight power to turn the DRLs *off* to meet ADR), or i use an ebay DRL controller + 1 relay triggered by ACC or IGN. and the dimming function triggered by headlights, obvi.
  • Actual bar install. i feel like this will be the easy part :D

What I have found so far, is the car as a 'relay extender' (PZQ61-89090) harness on it. Based on this recall notice, it seems it was added to avoid overload situations when running extra lights on the bullbar as well as extra lights on a trailer (i.e. factory tow kit + factory bar = extra relays).

So my options are i either keep the toyota harness and re use that to provide power to indicators/parkers on the ARB bar, or i use the ARB wiring kit and i need to add relays. Either way im probably up for some wire joins but im ok with that ; since the Toyo harness has the relays is in a really unpleasant spot (cable tied above a fuse box, in the way) i might pull that toyo loom out, then consider re-adding it where *i* want it.

peace. will update soon!
The problem with not finishing what i start is
clampy

Re: Installing ARB Deluxe bullbar - replacing factory alloy

Postby clampy on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 8:46 +0000

Right, so, this job ended up taking me about a day and a bit to complete, skipping the DRL and Fog install (see notes). The ARB destructions are pretty good for the job so rather than rewrite them, ill note a few things.

• A lot of time is taken up by checking you have all the fixing hardware (helpful to have a bench where you can set aside all of it, in order)
  • Ratcheting ring spanners would greatly help
  • The HILUX ARB Deluxe bar shares fog light design with the ARB summit. ARB Deluxe for all other cars use a different fog setup. If you get the STEDI fog light replacements for a Hilux Deluxe bar, you will need the Summit Bar ones. I got the wrong fogs so didnt do any fog/drl stuff
  • Due to the car already having a bullbar, I reused the hilux loom for parkers and indicators (the easy choice)
  • Use some oil when pulling cables through the firewall grommets. I used some twine tied around the UHF cable end, then wrapped in lots of tape to make it all inline as well as keep oil off the cable plug. a little oil made the difference tho. By the time the rest of the cable pulls thru, its all gone, so its not too messy
  • when pulling my original UHF cable out i noticed a really tight kink so bought another one anyway (a broken cable can destroy the output stage on your radio). I wish ARB would add a cable slot in the UHF mounts, but i didnt have the heart to cut one myself haha
  • The ARB bar comes with chassis strengthening brackets which is good, but the brackets seem to be a different design and only bolt to the chassis in one location rather than extending up to a second chassis point (3x M10 bolts where the bar mates to the chassis, 1x M12 on the chassis). I had to file out the m12 hole a little, since the alignment was a couple mm off which stopped the bolt from going in straight. Due to the wing panels using the m12 bolt but covering the three M10 bolts, u cant put the M12 in first and use the m10 bolts to pull the bracket in to place. ergo, i had to make the m12 go in easily

sorry if the info is a bit light on. i was working solo, and it was already night time so lighting was poor for photos
clampy

Re: Installing ARB Deluxe bullbar - replacing factory alloy

Postby clampy on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 3:19 +0000

missed opportunity: weighing the bars.

Anecdotally, the ARB is noticably heavier than the factory alloy bar (duh) but from memory its noticably lighter than the stock steel 'Breaker' bar!
clampy

Return to Exterior Mods