ARB Vs TJM

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

ARB Vs TJM

Postby SR5ute on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 8:01 +0000

I’m looking at purchasing an SR5.

I need to choose between ARB and TJM for a bull bar and tow bar system.

What is everyone’s experiences with these 2 companies?

What does everyone recommend and are there any tips?
SR5ute

Re: ARB Vs TJM

Postby Myralga on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:03 +0000

At the end of the day it will come down to a few simple factors.
Your budget will be one of the biggest things as there is a fairly big difference in price.
The style of the bars as both brands are fairly different in this aspect.
Product cross compatibility. Will the bar work with something you definitely want to purchase in the future.
If you want side steps and rails in the future it will have to be the same brand, recovery points, under vehicle protection, these all line up to their own brand and don’t cross convert Very well and in a lot of cases may not fit at all because of different mounting systems.
Another odd one is their warranty back up. Ask locals in your area how both company’s have been to them when something goes wrong. Arbs warranty networks is aus wide and they will do their best to help I don’t know how easy TJM is to be utterly honest.

In the end your going to get a lot of people saying one is better then the other. With very little reason other then their personal experience in one brand. I have used both across a variety of models (Hilux Colorado’s and cruisers) with a variety of bars and honestly under a roo strike no particular bar stands out to me. (Except a TUFF 3” 5 posta which wipes out a roo at lets just say “fast” and didn’t budge)
My personal style preference is ARB. I like their build quality better and I like their warranty.

As I said it’s up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby SR5ute on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 3:42 +0000

Thank you Myralga. I do prefer ARB but I don't prefer the extra cost.

My next big dilemma is whether I should go for a Canopy and not a Tonneau.

I do like the sport look, but the canopy provides one hell of a lot of practicality. Dilemmas dilemmas. :?

Need to get all decisions right.
SR5ute

Postby LocalFart on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 3:57 +0000

I've been shopping at TJM for a few of my last additions.

- RTT
- Compressor
- Suspension

And i honestly can't fault them at all... I have 0 experience with ARB but I have heard that TJM are trying to compete with them for the top quality stuff on the market.

But as Myralga said, completely a personal decision. and local knowledge will be key in making up your mind.
LocalFart

Postby Myralga on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 4:24 +0000

I too went down that whole canopy route of thought.

I have had a commodore with a soft top which was so easy because I could put anything in it basically as it’s versatile. Down side anyone can steal you gear too as it’s not secure.
Had multiple tray back utes over the years and if you regularly moving Big bulky items (bikes tools Home) you can’t go past a tray back. Down side everything has to be bolted down or strapped down which most people get tired of. Me personally I still can’t beat a high end tray built to your requirements. You just gotta plan it out right and your laughing.
Hard Lid looked nice but very impractical. Mine was easily removable which allowed me to move big items but this also requires you planning ahead and having somewhere to store it.
A lot of hard lids on the market are not removable so if you go down this track be aware of what you buy. All well and good having a one tonne cargo bay if you can’t fit the new washing machine under the hardlid.
Canopy personally never had one. In saying that I do own one it’s just still attached to the pallet as I haven’t had time to fit it.
This is where I’m at now with how my life is I don’t move big items all that often anymore as I am no longer a mechanic full time. I went a canopy as it has enough space for most bulky items I will deal with. And the security to lock it up is a must. I’m mounting a fridge in the rear and this was also a must and the hardlid just doesn’t give me the space for big trips.
Hope this helps.

Myralga

Postby SR5ute on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 4:31 +0000

Myralga wrote:I too went down that whole canopy route of thought.

I have had a commodore with a soft top which was so easy because I could put anything in it basically as it’s versatile. Down side anyone can steal you gear too as it’s not secure.
Had multiple tray back utes over the years and if you regularly moving Big bulky items (bikes tools Home) you can’t go past a tray back. Down side everything has to be bolted down or strapped down which most people get tired of. Me personally I still can’t beat a high end tray built to your requirements. You just gotta plan it out right and your laughing.
Hard Lid looked nice but very impractical. Mine was easily removable which allowed me to move big items but this also requires you planning ahead and having somewhere to store it.
A lot of hard lids on the market are not removable so if you go down this track be aware of what you buy. All well and good having a one tonne cargo bay if you can’t fit the new washing machine under the hardlid.
Canopy personally never had one. In saying that I do own one it’s just still attached to the pallet as I haven’t had time to fit it.
This is where I’m at now with how my life is I don’t move big items all that often anymore as I am no longer a mechanic full time. I went a canopy as it has enough space for most bulky items I will deal with. And the security to lock it up is a must. I’m mounting a fridge in the rear and this was also a must and the hardlid just doesn’t give me the space for big trips.
Hope this helps.

Thanks mate. This is a huge help.

I have ruled out the hard lid option. I just don't think it is practical. They do look nice though, but it limits the vehicle's capacity and what it was designed to do.

Tonneau is looking good for me. Very flexible but my Cargo is unsecured.

So It's between Tonneau and Canopy for me. Decisions decisions.
SR5ute

Postby SR5ute on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 4:32 +0000

LocalFart wrote:I've been shopping at TJM for a few of my last additions.

- RTT
- Compressor
- Suspension

And i honestly can't fault them at all... I have 0 experience with ARB but I have heard that TJM are trying to compete with them for the top quality stuff on the market.

But as Myralga said, completely a personal decision. and local knowledge will be key in making up your mind.

Thanks mate.

I walked into a TJM dealer just yesterday to have a look around. And my my, they do have some good mouth watering stuff.
SR5ute

Postby anthony2 on Fri, 23 Feb 2018 8:24 +0000

SR5ute wrote:
Myralga wrote:I too went down that whole canopy route of thought.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate. This is a huge help.

I have ruled out the hard lid option. I just don't think it is practical. They do look nice though, but it limits the vehicle's capacity and what it was designed to do.

Tonneau is looking good for me. Very flexible but my Cargo is unsecured.

So It's between Tonneau and Canopy for me. Decisions decisions.
My experience is that a canopy doesn't provide any extra security for your stuff - but it does cost you a grand on top of the gear that gets nicked when the b@$€@£ds smash the rear door.
I now leave nothing of value in the canopy and leave it unlocked at all times. It is very handy when loading up all the family camping gear though. Next time think I'll get a tray and a canvas canopy. My 2 cents, cheers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
anthony2

Postby scratcher on Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:40 +0000

I went the canopy, the ease of having all your stuff in without having to worry about it blowing away is handy, and when on a big trip you can pack it to the roof which you probably wouldn't want to do with a standard tray. Also increases your effective length of roof rack space, keeping in mind there's inevitably some flex between the cab and canopy so you shouldn't secure something rigid to both at the same time (needs some play).

I went for a steel sammitr/razorback canopy which has central locking, and doesn't need any additional interior bracing for the roof rack. Only problem i had was that the lift up window had shit glue that came loose so had to get it re glued under warranty but wasn't too big a deal. There are cheaper canopies but personally I think the steel one looks the best. Only problem with the canopy is it's thousands of dollars you could have spent on other mods so it's a trade off as always :D
scratcher

Return to Exterior Mods