Step by step for tub swap

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Postby coastalcoatings on Sun, 28 May 2017 10:25 +0000

Hey guys

Done a forum search im after step by step tub removal and fitment. I've got a 2009 Sr and I picked up a sr5 tub cheap I want to swap over and im looking for detailed instructions if there are any before I give it a crack. Its my work vehicle so I don't really have the time to stuff around as i cant have it off the road

Any help would be appreciated
coastalcoatings

Re: is there a how to step by step for tub swap

Postby gen7xtracab on Sun, 28 May 2017 11:14 +0000

I have not seen a write up, so until someone else can offer more help, he's what I did when I removed my tub.

The cable for the fuel cap needs to be released. Inside the guard, there are several plastic retainers that retain the plastic inner, that need to be removed. Try not to damage the clips!
There may be a ring around the fuel filler that keeps it in place. You may need to remove fuel cap and stuff a clean rag in neck temporarily.

6 bolts underneath, 2 at the back corners, and 2 at the front corners, with 2 more in the middle, easy enough to get to. Look for plastic/rubber insulators between tub and chassis to stop squeaks and rattles.

It is a good idea to remove mud flaps, but not essential. Just means less height needed when lifting off.

Remove tail lights to disconnect wiring loom, 2 screws inside tailgate opening, and carefully pry out. Number plate lights and camera looms as well, if fitted.

Fuel tube is retained to chassis. Undo bolt just to provide extra flexibility.

Think that's all.

block and tackle to lift, along with some decent chains and shackles, or a few mates, 4 to lift and you to tell 'em how high!

Tub weighs between 140 and 160 KG, depending on size.

Get all yer spanners, sockets, levers and screwdrivers organised beforehand and you'll be fine. I swapped tub to tray on mine in less than a day on my own, and I had to make new cross beams.
gen7xtracab

Postby coastalcoatings on Sun, 28 May 2017 11:55 +0000

4 to lift lol must you must have some skinny mates lol thanks though
coastalcoatings

Postby cooganstein on Sun, 28 May 2017 5:25 +0000

That pretty much covered it. There is also a wire for the brake light going in tail gate I nearly missed. Start spraying the chassis bolts once a day with bolt-off or similar the wk before as I found the the front two fairly well seized.
cooganstein

Postby gen7xtracab on Sun, 28 May 2017 5:31 +0000

coastalcoatings wrote:4 to lift lol must you must have some skinny mates lol thanks though

I don't have any mates. I used a long pole through a forked tree. And baling twine. On me own. Like I said. :roll:
gen7xtracab

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 14 May 2020 2:04 +0000

Here are a few images of a tub swap

First undo wire harness connections, and remove tail lights if you plan to reuse
Undo the left wheel arch splash guard from the front to over half way back. It is possible to get to the fuel filler clips and tub bolt with out removing but is much easier if totally removed.

Pop out the cable release being careful not to destroy the black retainer that is inserted in the fuel filler pocket - the white cable housing will untwist from the retainer anticlockwise
New retainers are only about $7 or so if broken
There are a couple of cable holders - keep track of where they are like this one on the fill breather tube

This front left bolt is the most difficult due to the angle and the bracket in the way. The bracket can be undone and moved back to make it easier. A bit of heat will help removing - these have loctite on them
17mm bolt heads from memory - it takes some time to come out feeling like its rust seized but it will get easier

The drivers side is more straight forward

Squirt a little soapy water or WD40 around the filler neck rubber. Remove filler cap and plug off the neck.
Slowly raise the tub - it needs to go up about a metre to clear the wheel
There will be some initial resistance from the filler neck - keep some WD40 on hand

Clean out you tank breather while its accessible - extending to a higher point may be worth while too

Having the luxury of time to raptor coat the tub before installing made spray access to the wheel arches and front the the tub easy

Make sure everything is ready for the new tub to go on - keep the wire harness off the chassis, filler neck lubed and cable release in place
Place some padding between cab and tub
If you have some help, get someone at the filler neck to guide it down and over.

The front and rear tub bolts are torqued to 105nm
The middle with the rubber bush only 20nm. There is a 5 ir 6mm thick square of rubber that sits between the chassis and the tub - this stuck to the tub in my case - make sure to transplant these with the new tub unless the new tub has them stuck underneath it

Insert cable release and clip in harness connections to lights - voila
DeadlyBeast

Re: Step by step for tub swap

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 14 May 2020 5:13 +0000

Nice one DB
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Return to Exterior Mods