Egr canopy leaks

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Egr canopy leaks

Postby dano85 on Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:19 +0000

Hey guys recently installed a second hand factory Toyota canopy (made by egr) that I picked up on gumtree and I'm happy with it though it leaks rain water in the lift up windows, it looks as though the water leaks in the screw holes and possibly the outer frame. Anyone fixed or had this issue, I'm thinking I'm going to remove the window frame and silicone the window frame in.
ImageImage
dano85

Re: Egr canopy leaks

Postby Joukowski on Thu, 15 Dec 2016 12:45 +0000

Yeah looks like its going to need a full silicone job... with cars travelling at highway speeds, the incredible vortices generated by air turbulence will cause a vacuum in places that will suck rain water into the car.

Especially with sharp corners with a box structure the canopy makes at the back of the car, will generate a big vacuum within the canopy if you don't seal said box in - ie the tail gate isn't sealed in. So high pressure air will try to get in to fill the vacuum via the side windows siphoning in rain water as well.

This is also a common issue even with streamlined soft top cars - You'd get a note in the manual saying you're not guaranteed to stay dry if you drive your $750k convertible Ferrari Spyder 458 in the rain.

And it's not because it's Italian made.
Joukowski

Return to Exterior Mods