Canopy Vs Hard Cover Vs Extenda Lid

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Canopy Vs Hard Cover Vs Extenda Lid

Postby The B Man on Sat, 29 Mar 2014 7:06 +0000

Im in the market for either a Canopy or a Hard cover or Extenda Lid.

Essentially im going to need something secure as I am going to use it for work (and Play) and ill be carrying some expensive equipment that i dont want disappearing. Also I will most likely need to carry lengths of conduit with me so its going have to be able to attach pipe to it.
I also just saw i can buy a pole that attaches to the tow bar and sits up at roof height negating having to buy a canopy to tie poles onto, so i can attach it as needed.
I know my old mans hard lid isnt high enough for his big fridge which pisses him off, also it leaks (genuine Toyota lid)
I do fill my tray up with sand and treas on occasion so i dont want to put on anything that is too hard to remove by myself.

If anyone can give me advise on what your setup is it would be appreciated. The last thing i want to do is drop $3K on something that gives me the shits.

Cheers
The B Man

Re: Canopy Vs Hard Cover Vs Extenda Lid

Postby Jamesss on Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:24 +0000

Hey B Man,

Have not had my lux for a year as yet. Am using the hard cover with tray liner and rubber matting. Don't think I expected it to be fully waterproof and so pack it accordingly if I am concerned. Have only ever had water in the tray after getting a little excited with the hose. Sure there'd be ways to limit water getting in if it was a big issue.

I know eventually I will end up needing a canopy when the amount of gear I want to carry gets to that stage where the hard tray cover is just limiting storage too much. Some part of my thought process tells me I should have thrown the coin at a canopy and not a tray. Until then I am being positive (maybe denial driving logic); am liking the hard cover as it is easy to remove (much easier with two people), probably offers increased vision and less blind spotting and I'm wanting the ability to hunt / shoot from the tray.

You probably need to think even further forward than you are now and decide if the canopy will be the way to go for reasons you are not currently thinking of. I bet a stack of fellas have gone the hard cover to canopy route and kinda wished they didn't...

What's the toe ball bar system that you are looking at?

I'm sure other fellas on here would have some good advise regarding canopies/ sure there's probably another thread that have mostly covered it.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

James
Jamesss

Postby The B Man on Mon, 31 Mar 2014 7:15 +0000

Thanks Jamesss

Yeah i think i should head down the canopy road even though i do like the look of the sports bar with hard cover.
As for the toe ball bar system throw the below link into your browser.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151178206267 ... 1438.l2649

I guess with a hard cover i cant put my dog in the back. Thats why i was looking at the Extenda Lid, best of both worlds but the lift mechanism that sits in the tray takes up a bit of room.
The B Man

Postby packeteer on Tue, 01 Apr 2014 8:11 +0000

tray with alloy canopy gets my vote. lots of room inside, lockable, somewhere to put longer stuff up top

example pic:
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Ryanostrd on Tue, 01 Apr 2014 10:52 +0000

Hard lids do have some issues but you can get around them.
I tried a canopy but didn't like it so took it back off and sold it and re-installed the hard lid. The canopy looked good and had loads more room but the visibility was terrible and its not removable easily so it made it hard to move a motorbike or bbq or something big.
The hard cover is a good compromise. Things like leaking water can be fixed by a trip to clark rubber for $15 and I just took my measuring tape into BCF when I bought my icebox and eskies etc to ensure it will fit under when its closed :D
Oh and they come off easy for when I'm throwing the bike on or helping someone move :evil:
"Ain't nothing like the fine whine of a supercharger"
Ryanostrd

Postby Freshie100 on Sat, 10 May 2014 7:08 +0000

Ryanostrd wrote:Hard lids do have some issues but you can get around them.
I tried a canopy but didn't like it so took it back off and sold it and re-installed the hard lid. The canopy looked good and had loads more room but the visibility was terrible and its not removable easily so it made it hard to move a motorbike or bbq or something big.
The hard cover is a good compromise. Things like leaking water can be fixed by a trip to clark rubber for $15 and I just took my measuring tape into BCF when I bought my icebox and eskies etc to ensure it will fit under when its closed :D
Oh and they come off easy for when I'm throwing the bike on or helping someone move :evil:

Hey Ryan,
Can you please elaborate on your trip to Clarke rubber and what was involved to stopping the leak? That would be great mate
Freshie100

Postby Ryanostrd on Sun, 11 May 2014 5:18 +0000

What I found was that mine only leaked at the front edge (near cab / rear window) and where the hard lid met the 2 plastic side trims.
To start adjusted the 2 side trims up so they would seal firmly against the hard lid. When you go to clark rubber they have a section that is all sorts of different rubber and foam stripping that has adhesive on the back. You can chose from heaps of different sizes from 5mm wide to about 50mm wide and just buy it in whatever length you want.I just got some about 30mm that was like a thicker foam with a top rubbery latex finish and stuck that along the edges where the hard lid sits on the trims.
As for the front you can do the same with some smaller stuff and the use a small amount of clear silicone to seal around the hinges and corners to get the little gaps.
I'd say its like 99% waterproof now. Hope thats helps. Cheers.
"Ain't nothing like the fine whine of a supercharger"
Ryanostrd

Postby Freshie100 on Mon, 12 May 2014 10:59 +0000

It does mate, thanks a lot for the advice!
Freshie100

Postby SRD4D on Mon, 12 May 2014 1:48 +0000

packeteer wrote:tray with alloy canopy gets my vote. lots of room inside, lockable, somewhere to put longer stuff up top

example pic:

+1 on the alloy canopy on a tray packeteer..i wanted that canopy but needed toolboxes in a hurry and couldnt wait the 12 weeks delivery....

If your keeping the tub, forget the hard lid,they are a pain in the arse and you may have well have a large sedan,I had one on my XR6 ute end up cutting it in half so I could have half open when needed but I hated it......... the other option if you dont want a canopy (which are great but have there limitations) is a roller deck which gives you security when you need it or opening it up to put larger items in it with out having to remove the big heavy hard lid...
Ive had 4 or so set ups on my hilux now,the standard tub with tarp,then tub with tub rack,then went to a high roof canopy,with drawers, power etc...which was great,then now onto the steel tray and alloy tool boxes,which ive wanted all along and is the easiest by far to work out of and lock tools/equipment in.
this now has a gate inbetween the 2 boxes and a alloy tread plate roof so bulkier stuff can be locked up as well,but have the freedom of removing both and storing them inside if need be for bigger freight..
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby Sleeman on Mon, 19 May 2014 1:43 +0000

I had a roller shutter on my last ute, and considering getting one to replace the hardlid on my Hilux. It's a bit of a pain taking it off and on everytime I want to throw a dirtbike in the back. You do lose a little bit of room where the drum sits, but I think you make up for it in versatility. From memory mine (for a Falcon ute) was around $2,200 fitted.

http://www.blueys.com.au/rolltops/
Sleeman

Postby csd on Sat, 24 May 2014 5:39 +0000

I have the blueys roll top on mine. Love it. Keep it closed most of the time but when need to carry tall stuff just roll it open.
csd

Postby ultrav on Wed, 28 May 2014 8:40 +0000

Ive had a few different configurations, and by far the most practical solutions is a drawer system, with a canopy.

This gives you a stack of storage on top of the drawer system for family weekends away, the drawer system is by far the most secure system you can have for valuables, not only do the drawers lock but the closed tail gate makes it impossible for light fingers to get into the drawers. In have had a roll top and I also quite liked this, unfortunately it simply does not give you the same amount of DRY storage as a canopy.
The hard lid option is probably the most attractive in terms of cosmetic appearance but it also has the biggest limitations, getting access to items located near the headboard and carrying items which are large, security is not exactly the greatest and water ingress can be a problem.

I have had several canopies and without a doubt the best canopy is the Razorback, HANDS DOWN!! the worst is the SJS canopies...buy hey you pay for what you get.

I am so happy with my end selection I have traded my car and removed the drawer system and Canopy to transfer across to my new car.

The Drawer system is Interior Dept located in Sydney.

I hope this helps..
ultrav

Postby singlespeed on Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:10 +0000

Does the hard lid work with the over the rail bed liner? I want to cover the rear, but don't want to rip the bed liner out in the process.
2014 Hilux SR5 D4D 5A Grey w/ Blk Leather

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.
singlespeed

Postby Thomo55 on Mon, 23 Jun 2014 7:08 +0000

Had a hard cover and was just a pain in the ass for me!! Whenever you want it off for dogs bikes etc you don't have someone around to help..
I now have a canopy and love it, it simply makes your mind up for you, if I want to take a bike I use the trailer, and dogs just go in the back on top of the drawers, still just treat it like a ute..
Lots more room and versatile, just throw a reverse camera in and it makes them even easier..
Thomo55

Postby Brewer on Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:13 +0000

singlespeed wrote:Does the hard lid work with the over the rail bed liner? I want to cover the rear, but don't want to rip the bed liner out in the process.

I have the factory hard lid and and bed liner that goes over the rail. No need to rip it out.

You can remove the lid by yourself when you need to, but it is much easier with someone helping.
Brewer

Postby jarrad_711 on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 6:45 +0000

I have checked out the Razorback canopy, looks great. Wanted to see a photo of the Blueys rolltop inside the tub to see how much room it takes up (The roll box). Can anyone post one?

Any thoughts on the best soft top cover?
Well, I've got to get back to work. When I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.
jarrad_711

Postby creaky on Tue, 08 Nov 2016 10:32 +0000

Grave dig from the Gen7 thread but still relevant to the Gen8 which I have ...

I'm trying to avoid a canopy just for camping/travelling as it reduces my flexibility the rest of the time.

1. Hardtop is not an option as I need to be able to get the dog in the back sometimes when going away - currently just leave part of the soft tonneau open.

2. Better security than the soft tonneau would be good when travelling for fridge, gear etc.

3. Reasonably water tight required (for fridge etc.)

4. Ability to mount racks above the tub would be great to add a lockable roof box and/or bike racks at times.

I'm thinking a rolltop but they seem to get mixed feedback in terms of usability and water tightness.

Any thoughts / suggestions ?

Thanks
creaky

Postby Richard on Tue, 08 Nov 2016 7:18 +0000

creaky wrote:Grave dig from the Gen7 thread but still relevant to the Gen8 which I have ...

I'm trying to avoid a canopy just for camping/travelling as it reduces my flexibility the rest of the time.

1. Hardtop is not an option as I need to be able to get the dog in the back sometimes when going away - currently just leave part of the soft tonneau open.

2. Better security than the soft tonneau would be good when travelling for fridge, gear etc.

3. Reasonably water tight required (for fridge etc.)

4. Ability to mount racks above the tub would be great to add a lockable roof box and/or bike racks at times.

I'm thinking a rolltop but they seem to get mixed feedback in terms of usability and water tightness.

Any thoughts / suggestions ?

Thanks

The inability of the roll top to stop water ingress would make the purchase void for me.
Richard

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 09 Nov 2016 1:24 +0000

Maybe some kind of prop to hold the hard top open so the dog can stick it's head out? Then you can lock it when the dog isn't with you?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby taresk on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 6:08 +0000

Sounds like Extenda lid is more what you'd be after.
taresk

Next

Return to Exterior Mods