fitting a winch to a genuine Toyota bull bar

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: fitting a winch to a genuine Toyota bull bar

Postby boorune on Sun, 16 Mar 2014 8:46 +0000

I installed a Tigerz using the Toyota cradle a couple of years ago. It was relatively easy to fit however I found that the fairlead supplied with the winch was of no use because the winch is mounted behind the bar and there are no holes on the front of the bar for the hawse failed. The bar itself is suited to a roller type fairlead but Im yet to find one that has the right bolt hole pattern to match the toyota bar. I'm yet to finish off the install of a fair lead because of this.

One thing I found is that the rope will foul on the cradle if the rope peels off the bottom of the drum. The winch needs to be mounted so the rope is coming off the top.

I'd be interested to see some photos of a fairlead fitted to the stock toyota bar so I can get mine finished.
boorune

Postby jdenholm427 on Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:21 +0000

Thanks for the response Boorune, I will look around and see what i can find, I will put some pics up once i find something that will suit, Toyota told me the other day they were hesitant in selling me the Toyota winch fitting kit because they werent sure the Tigerz11 12000lb winch would be a definate fit, I was advised to ring Tigerz11 for a fitting kit, Toyotas kit is designed to fit a Superwinch. I will look into it further mate and let you know.
jdenholm427

Postby boorune on Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:42 +0000

If you do go down the path of using the toyota cradle,you may want to think about cutting a larger rectangle out to prevent the rope from fouling when the drum is full. See what you think but a good fairlead setup should prevent any fouling anyway.
boorune

Postby joey85 on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 6:29 +0000

I just cut some rope n used industrial Strength silicone to stick it on. Also for the fairlead I made up an aluminum plate for it that it bolts onto.
If I didn't want scratches on my ute, I would not have bought a 4wd.
joey85

Postby jdenholm427 on Sat, 03 May 2014 10:37 +0000

Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas everyone.
jdenholm427

Postby jimwhitelux on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 1:49 +0000

joey85 wrote:Yea definitely have those fitted. N the bull bar is bolted directly to these with a massive flanged plate.

that is interesting I just got my new 2014 SR5 two week ago with gen bar and they haven't fitted them to my ute.
jimwhitelux

Postby abeeson on Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:55 +0000

I've just bought a Runva 11XP and just got my winch cradle today from toyota ($192.50 inc GST so not cheap)

Looks to be a really solid plate, plus the reinforcement on the plate locks nicely against the bar. it mounts vertically into the bar but will leave the fairlead mounted back into the bar. You could put a second one but i'm going to run it with the single fairlead on the plate rather than modifying the bar, though i am planning to mount the winch so it spools out over the top of the drum which i think is technically completely flipped from the "normal" way.

The Runva is a synthetic rope so it came with a hawse, i bought the offset hawse at the time and i'd say that is a requirement if you want to mount the hawse onto the cradle mount (where holes are provided for it).

I'm going to run up a build thread for my lux and throw some pretty comprehensive pictures, part numbers etc in to save anybody else guessing as this has been extremely hard to find any solid info on....

EDIT: I'll link the build thread here once i have created it, also i really should do an intro thread :P

EDIT 2: If anybody is interested, i got the runva from torq4x4 on sale from $650 to $589, i happened to be in the area so i bought it locally, they had the red runva with blue synthetic, or the black runva with the red synthetic (which wolf4x4 claimed was limited to them, maybe it was at some point but not any more apparently). Both come wth the wireless controlller, synthetic rope and a snatch block, plus a neoprene winch cover wihch wont be very useful to me, maybe occasionally, i'll see how it goes once its installed.

EDIT 3: Link removed to adhere to the forum rules, if you want to find it you can google it or PM me, easy enough to find.

EDIT 4: You can find my build thread with extra details here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=24276
abeeson

Postby mark409 on Sat, 02 May 2015 4:06 +0000

Just purchased the hilux cradle to install my new Runva 11xp ,have been reading your string on how to do it.
Very good .
First hurdle I,ve struck the 8 by 10mm caged nuts ,I cant get them in ,have just snapped the side of 1 of them.
Got a sept 2013 trayback ..with the genuine hilux steel bulbar., it has the all the barwork that boxhead says u need for the winch install .
Which I haven,t got that far yet ,,cos I can,t even get the caged nuts in the bracket its pretty thick as you said. :roll: (Steel)
Anybody had this problem.
Mark409
mark409
Platinum Subscriber

Postby abeeson on Thu, 09 Jul 2015 12:34 +0000

Hey Mark,

Sent you back a message on my build thread as well, i didn't have any major issues with them actually fitting, it was just a bit of a pain getting them in.

I'd get the broken one back to Toyota and get them to replace that, other than that try fitting them rotated 90 degrees around, the holes are not perfectly square from memory so you might find they fit better turned sideways.

Should not affect them, they do the same job any direction as long as they are on there properly :)

Just to confirm, are you fitting the cage nuts onto the bar, or the mounting kit? I just checked my build thread cause i actually forgot which it was, the cage nuts fit into the bar, facing towards the front of the bar, ready for the bolts to come in from the back of the bar through the mounting plate, then into the cage nut attached to the bar.
abeeson

Postby mark409 on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:26 +0000

Hi Abeeson
Have,nt been online for a while ,as you stated I was trying to get them in the kit . which I knew they would,nt fit .If I had turned the page on the instructions it was clear enough. ,should,nt do things when half cut .
Have now got the cradle in and proceeding. Slowly .Work is getting in the way.
Your build thread has been a big help .Thanks.
What position did your clutch lever end up, on top or at the back.
Mark409
mark409
Platinum Subscriber

Postby HiluxHounds on Mon, 05 Sep 2016 12:30 +0000

Anyone got any recent news on fitting an aftermarket winch into a genuine centre ?
HiluxHounds

Postby abeeson on Tue, 03 Jan 2017 12:12 +0000

HiluxHounds wrote:Anyone got any recent news on fitting an aftermarket winch into a genuine centre ?

AFAIK it worked for all breaker bars on the 2005-2015 (Vigo) models. Not sure about the 2016 (Revo?), i think i saw one with a factory bar a month or so ago and it looks more like a rebadged ARB bar then the Toyota breaker.

Anybody with one might be able to clarify, but if you bar looks like mine in the build thread, you just need the cradle and you are good to go :)

EDIT: had a look, the new bar definitely has an ability to have a winch mounted, but you'd have to check specifics etc. Looks to be a similar / the same process as the previous bar, but some measurements / checks with Toyota would be needed.

Anyway this is a 2016 problem which doesn't really belong here :)
abeeson

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods