Advice for 2WD bullbars

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Advice for 2WD bullbars

Postby jesh on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 2:58 +0000

So, I recently got my hands on a 2007 RWD Hilux Workmate, which wiped the bank clean.

First upgrade I'm looking at is fitting a bullbar, as this vehicle will be primarily used for doing longer drives and night driving, while we use my girlfriend's sedan around town.

I'm looking for something that won't get busted hitting a roo/emu, won't break the bank (when it's filled again) and will still allow me to have some grunt/won't ruin my suspension (I only have a 2.7 EFI engine).

Any advice on where to look, what to look out for, rough prices, etc?

So far I haven't had much luck trying to track down 2WD bullbars with the options I know about being TJM, ECB and Tuff.

I've seen all the arguments about Steel V Alloy bars, but can someone break down what the real difference is in terms of weight and the flow-on impacts that they would have to my vehicle.

Cheers

Jesh
jesh

Re: Advice for 2WD bullbars

Postby VMN on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 5:22 +0000

There was a time when bumper bars weighted 40 pounds but now they are plastic and you can pick them up with your finger! That means in my opinion, steel bars are too heavy for a 2WD when once they were OK as you could remove a lot of weight before fitting them. Also, you don't need to worry about approach angles. If you are doing long distances at night in roo country, I would be forgetting the 4WD brands like ARB and TJM and be looking at an alloy bar and would consider Tuff and also Hopper Knocker. These guys are in Toowoomba who services all of QLD's roo country and really know what they are doing and the design parameter are totally different for your application than what most guys on this forum are looking for.

Few on this forum understand what it is like to live in roo country, I do.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby jesh on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 7:50 +0000

Thanks for the quick reply VMN.

I've heard some great things about Tuff, and love the idea of the 5 post with scrub rails and steps, but I'm thinking it'd be out of my price range, and maybe a little over the top for a 2WD as it'll see plenty of dirt road, not so much off-road. Or do you think that the scrub rails are a good option for extra protection, if so are doubles too over the top?

I'm assuming my best bet for prices, specs, etc. will be just give them a buzz, so I might give that a bash and see roughly where I'll have to get the bank balance upto before I jump into it.

From what you've seen VMN have their alloy bars stood up well against roos, or do they leave you able to limp home? (Every roo-strike is gonna be different, I know, but generally speaking)
jesh

Postby VMN on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 8:52 +0000

Don't forget these guys. http://hopperknockerbullbars.com.au/

I can't comment on these specific bars as I have never used them. I don't think you need scrub bars unless you live where you can never get into top gear at night because the roos are so thick. Been there done that! I think the key for you is to keep the weight down as you are not likely to be upgrading front springs in a 2wd to carry the extra weight of a steel bar which we do in a 4wd.

The objective in a roo strike situation is to preserve the radiator so you don't have to walk home. In that regard, taking a roo on the bar is the last of three options and if you have no choice, take him on an upright as it is the strongest part and reduces the risk of him taking out a headlight with his bum. Bullbars have a lot of flex and bounce back into position a lot without bending. A hit on the corner of the bar risks the bar damaging the front panel or an indicator and then springing back.

The first option is to go behind the roo so he is travelling away from you, failing that, option 2 is to go in front of him but this poses a problem because he is going to run into the side of the car. Under this situation, you need to steer back into the roo as soon as you get the nose past him to get the tail of the vehicle moving away from the roo. It is also a good idea not to roll the car in this manoeuvre :o

Correctly executing option 2, you may still get hit in the rear quarter but often there is no damage as it was a glancing blow. I have driven on in these situations and when i got home, the only damage is a bit of a scuff mark that polishes out. Nothing like dinging a few panels while perfecting the technique! :mrgreen:

The worst damage I have ever experienced was when an oncoming vehicle meant I could not take evasive action for a big buck. I got the radiator past him but took him on the front passenger guard and he leaned over, took out the windscreen, got his head caught in the external sun visor which spun him round before letting go, driving him into the passenger door. He then bounced away missing the rear door and took out the rear quarter! Lucky it was a company car :D

The other bad situation is if they try to jump the headlights. This takes out a windscreen and in one case came though my brother's windscreen, hit the passenger in the head and then ended up (fortunately) dead under the drivers feet!

So in summary, it is best not to test out a bull bar unless you have no other option.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby 07luxyTD on Sun, 29 Sep 2013 6:17 +0000

Sw platt down at orange mainly make alloy bars for 2wds pretty big company just give em a Google
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby jesh on Mon, 30 Sep 2013 9:08 +0000

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I grabbed some quick quotes from Tuff, SW Platt and Hopper knocker, and they're all putting it around the ballpark of about $2500-3500 for a 4 or 5 post Alloy bar, with weight ratings around 55-65kg mark.

I was just hoping I might get some advice off someone about this. I know that my hilux won't need heavy duty springs (riding on stocks) on the front end for that weight, but I was just wondering if you have any idea of what impacts having that much extra weight right on the nose could/would have?

Cheers
jesh

Postby jesh on Wed, 09 Oct 2013 1:08 +0000

I've been looking around and the Genuine Toyota Alloy Bullbars can be picked up for pretty cheap. Does anyone know if there is a reason why the 4x4 genuine bar wouldn't fit the 2WD w/mate? Are there any additional/different mounting points, etc?
The only thing that I can think of, off the top of my head, is the issue with flares, but I'm sure I can work something out about fixing that up if it should fit otherwise.
I have seen different bars for the SR5 and the SR, does anyone have any idea how they vary?
jesh

Postby makeamends00 on Sat, 14 Dec 2019 8:09 +0000

jesh wrote:I've been looking around and the Genuine Toyota Alloy Bullbars can be picked up for pretty cheap. Does anyone know if there is a reason why the 4x4 genuine bar wouldn't fit the 2WD w/mate? Are there any additional/different mounting points, etc?
The only thing that I can think of, off the top of my head, is the issue with flares, but I'm sure I can work something out about fixing that up if it should fit otherwise.
I have seen different bars for the SR5 and the SR, does anyone have any idea how they vary?

interested to know this also
makeamends00

Postby m sciffer on Sun, 15 Dec 2019 1:48 +0000

hi there
I own a 2wd hilux 2010 model, I looked around for a long period of time and came up to a plastic bulbar ,the issues was the weight, strength, and looks and it cost me 2500 dollars .these bar are designed to flex with in pack .having owned it for 6 months it works well and hope not to test it for in pack .
m sciffer

Postby makeamends00 on Thu, 05 Nov 2020 7:25 +0000

PS4x4have advised me this is suited to a 2WD:

https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/ps-4x4?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

has anyone had one of these, any feedback?
makeamends00

Postby redfast900 on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 10:14 +0000

Are mounting kits and points for bullbar the same for 2WD and 4WD on these Hilux?
redfast900

Return to Exterior Mods