New Hilux Bull bars

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

New Hilux Bull bars

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 3:46 +0000

Hi everyone!

After months and months and months of looking at 4x4 utes, I've finally decided to buy a new Hilux. My only dilemma now, is which bull bar to get? I've searched through the forums and various other resources to try and get some opinions/help on the matter, but unless I've missed something I can't really find a straight answer.

So, what's everyones opinion on the Toyota genuine alloy bull bar, versus and ARB deluxe bull bar?

From what I've researched, alloy isn't as strong and wont hold up as well against hitting a roo as the ARB deluxe steel bull bar (which is mainly what I want the bull bar to protect against), but it is lighter and wont affect fuel economy or handling very much. But the steel ARB bull bar is a lot stronger than the alloy and will pretty much survive a roo strike with no damage, but is heavy and will make fuel economy and handling worse, and cause the stock suspension to sag, meaning you need to upgrade the suspension as well, which from what the dealer tells me, this will void some warranty.

Is this correct? Is it really necessary to upgrade suspension, and will the ARB deluxe steel bull bar really weigh you down and affect handling a lot?

Thanks! :)

P.S. Sorry if I did miss this in another post. I could've been too busy checking out your awesome builds and missed something :P
Ockerous

Re: New Hilux Bull bars

Postby Dice on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 3:54 +0000

Your dealer is just trying to get you to buy his bar Ive had ARB bars on 5 or 6 4x4 now and have not noticed any difference in fuel economy and if there is it is minimal and up until the last 2 vehicles have run the standard suspension without any issue the only reason I changed the suspension on those 2 was that I fitted dual battery and winch as well.
Cheers Dice
Dice

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 4:12 +0000

Yeah I thought that might've been the case. Oh ok fair enough. Should be right then you reckon? Handling didn't change too much?
Ockerous

Postby Dice on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 4:30 +0000

not that I noticed
Cheers Dice
Dice

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 4:32 +0000

Okay awesome. Thanks for your help mate :)
Ockerous

Postby knight on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 4:43 +0000

ive got a 2012 lux with arb bullbar and siderails. it was fine on the standard suspension. with a winch and dual batteries under the bonnet you might start to come into some problems with the weight.

i ended up changing to ultimate suspension with a 2inch lift but it was more due to the weigh i carry on the tray. the dealer wont warrantee your suspension if you change it, but if you buy/get it installed from a decent place they will cover it with there own warrantee anyway.

this was it with the bar and side rails with standard suspension and wheels and about 10,000 kms.
2012 Hilux Extra cab, 1996 Aussie Swag Camper.
knight

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 5:01 +0000

Oh yeah, that looks nice knight. They look good with an ARB bullbar on them. Tough. I'm not really planning on adding a winch or dual batteries just yet anyway, but I'll keep that in mind if I do. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the ARB one and be done with it :lol:

Surely there can't be that much of a weight difference between an ARB one and the Toyota steel one. They're both winch compatible after all, and the 9000lb superwinch Toyota use with their steel bullbar weighs 37kgs itself and they don't upgrade suspension when you get one of them fitted to your car as far as I know.
Ockerous

Postby kanny351 on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 5:06 +0000

Check out the mcc bull bar range. Good quality with a nice price
kanny351

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 5:10 +0000

Yeah alright kanny will do. Just as good as ARB are they?
Ockerous

Postby AdAm3962 on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 5:19 +0000

I've got the deluxe bar on mine and fuel economy has always been great. Consistently low 8's h'way and low 9's around town. Just upgraded suspension to OME with the 884 coils upfront and it handles like a dream. For your everyday driver the ARB gear is good, if you wanna smash it around, definitely look into other gear.
AdAm3962

Postby kanny351 on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 5:39 +0000

Ockerous wrote:Yeah alright kanny will do. Just as good as ARB are they?

Just as good prob better with the price they carry. More money spare for other mods :)
kanny351

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 5:47 +0000

I was looking at your shed last night Adam. Yours is pretty well what I was going for :D It looks awesome. I wont be smashing it around, not yet anyway. Just everyday driving for the time being. I have to keep in good nick for a little while ;)
Ockerous

Postby knight on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 6:19 +0000

Ockerous wrote:Oh yeah, that looks nice knight. They look good with an ARB bullbar on them. Tough. I'm not really planning on adding a winch or dual batteries just yet anyway, but I'll keep that in mind if I do. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the ARB one and be done with it :lol:

cheers mate. that was 4 months and 20,000kms ago. lifted with wheels and a canopy on the back now. you can get the dealer to fit arb stuff to it before you pick it up too. they can sometimes get a little bit bettter pricing on it too.

Ockerous wrote:Surely there can't be that much of a weight difference between an ARB one and the Toyota steel one. They're both winch compatible after all, and the 9000lb superwinch Toyota use with their steel bullbar weighs 37kgs itself and they don't upgrade suspension when you get one of them fitted to your car as far as I know.

thats what i was thinking as well. shouldnt be that much of an issue. and it can work in your favor, you might "need" to upgrade the suspension now lol :lol:
2012 Hilux Extra cab, 1996 Aussie Swag Camper.
knight

Postby greysrigging on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 6:22 +0000

Also consider what/why you want a bullbar...... is it just for 'looks' ? or to mount accessories on ie spotties,antennas, winches etc ? Do you want a bar to assist with paralell parking in busy suburban streets and /or to intimidate Kia drivers in Maccas drive thrus ?
Or do you travell out West of Charleville with the roads wall to wall thick with Kangaroos just waiting to stove in the front end ?
The word 'bullbar' is a bit misleading. I hit a bull near Tambo QLD many years ago and the so called 'bullbar' did SFA !
Most bars that are designed to really protect against animal strikes hang pretty low and can bugger up the approach angles in off road situations.
greysrigging

Postby strangenuts on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 6:22 +0000

Check out the TJM T13 bar. Compareable to the ARB and slightly different looking. I have one and love it.
strangenuts

Postby relaxedcamper on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 6:25 +0000

We have a 2012 SR DC TD Hilux and had an ARB Deluxe Non Winch bar fitted after about 4 weeks of owning the car.

It looks great, however sitting in the ARB car park, it looked very nose down. It had dropped heaps in the front end, and when cornering and stopping it had LOTS of body roll and the nose dipped under braking.

We have since had some OME HD coils/struts/shockers in the front and medium duty leaf springs in the back and the ride is fantastic. It has also sorted out the nose down stance.
relaxedcamper

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 6:43 +0000

greysrigging wrote:Also consider what/why you want a bullbar...... is it just for 'looks' ? or to mount accessories on ie spotties,antennas, winches etc ? Do you want a bar to assist with paralell parking in busy suburban streets and /or to intimidate Kia drivers in Maccas drive thrus ?
Or do you travell out West of Charleville with the roads wall to wall thick with Kangaroos just waiting to stove in the front end ?
The word 'bullbar' is a bit misleading. I hit a bull near Tambo QLD many years ago and the so called 'bullbar' did SFA !
Most bars that are designed to really protect against animal strikes hang pretty low and can bugger up the approach angles in off road situations.

Well, both looks and the odd kangaroo. I want one that looks good and if I hit a roo on the way to or from work it wont do a great deal of damage. I live in the hunter valley so there's not roos as far as the eye can see but there are a fair few around. Might put an led bar or a couple of spotties on it but that's it. Intimidating the kia drivers might be a plus :lol:

strangenuts wrote:Check out the TJM T13 bar. Compareable to the ARB and slightly different looking. I have one and love it.

That doesn't look too bad. How does it go weight wise?

relaxedcamper wrote:We have a 2012 SR DC TD Hilux and had an ARB Deluxe Non Winch bar fitted after about 4 weeks of owning the car.

It looks great, however sitting in the ARB car park, it looked very nose down. It had dropped heaps in the front end, and when cornering and stopping it had LOTS of body roll and the nose dipped under braking.

We have since had some OME HD coils/struts/shockers in the front and medium duty leaf springs in the back and the ride is fantastic. It has also sorted out the nose down stance.

That makes me think twice. That's the biggest worry I have. I don't really want to straight up void warranty on perfectly good factory suspension just in case there is a factory fault that takes a while to rear its head, and they blame the aftermarket suspension and refuse to cover repairs. But at the same time I don't want to leave the front end unprotected just inc case I do get a roo and ruin my new car, and I don't want to buy the Toyota alloy one if I'm just going to get it replaced later on. Decisions decisions :roll:
Ockerous

Postby goose on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 8:26 +0000

Hi

I just got my new hilux and had the factory alloy Toyota one fitted. I'm very happy with it and looks great. Cost about $2600 so similar to ARB prices I had. Can;t hold a winch though.

Most my time is city driving so hopefully I won't hit a roo and find out how strong it really is.

Goose
goose

Postby Ockerous on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 8:36 +0000

goose wrote:Hi

I just got my new hilux and had the factory alloy Toyota one fitted. I'm very happy with it and looks great. Cost about $2600 so similar to ARB prices I had. Can;t hold a winch though.

Most my time is city driving so hopefully I won't hit a roo and find out how strong it really is.

Goose

Hey Goose, you lucky bugger. They tell me there's about a 5 month wait haha. That's about the same price I got quoted too. I'm considering just getting that alloy one so I don't have to worry about the ARB ones weight. Seems to be a mixed bag of people whos front sat fine and whos front end sagged. Maybe I just think too much :lol:
Ockerous

Postby QLD_LUX on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 8:37 +0000

Think you'll find ARB make the Toyota steel bar anyway. TJM makes all nissans bars
QLD_LUX
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Exterior Mods