stock bar winch compatability

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

stock bar winch compatability

Postby rickyf on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:10 +0000

hi guys as i said in my intro im a newbie and apolgise for my ignorance in advance.

i have looked before i posted this and couldnt find the info i was after.

is there a winch that is compatible with the standard toyota alloy bullbar on my 05 hilux

and links available? or rough prices as it would be for the very very rare use and i dont want to buy a new bar if avoidable.
rickyf

Re: stock bar winch compatability

Postby RonBacardi8 on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 3:38 +0000

Is you toyota bull bar a "winch bull bar"?
does it have the cut out on the front of it? If it does then any winch should fit, but its best to ask the manufacturer of the winch (brand) as they would know 100%. But as i said any winch should fit a winch bull bar.

Cheers ronny
RonBacardi8

Postby RonBacardi8 on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 3:40 +0000

what type of driving will you be doing, beach only or hilly tracks, forest tracks, hardcore tracks etc etc?
RonBacardi8

Postby rickyf on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 3:47 +0000

hey ronny,

thanks for your reply behind my front number plate is cut out which "looks" to be where a winch would go i called arb in geelong today there and the guy there wasnt too sure..

ok well thats answers my other question of are most whinch's a similar size and would i find a winch to fit this opening.

a really small amount of beach driving but mainly just slighlty off track camping grounds ect. very L plate stuff.

i was suprised that this wasnt a more common question. i will post a pick of my bar for your comments. thanks guys

Rick.
rickyf

Postby jakelux on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 3:56 +0000

rickyf wrote:hey ronny,

thanks for your reply behind my front number plate is cut out which "looks" to be where a winch would go i called arb in geelong today there and the guy there wasnt too sure..

ok well thats answers my other question of are most whinch's a similar size and would i find a winch to fit this opening.

a really small amount of beach driving but mainly just slighlty off track camping grounds ect. very L plate stuff.

i was suprised that this wasnt a more common question. i will post a pick of my bar for your comments. thanks guys

Rick.

Pretty sure you'll get most 'low mount' winches in there as Toyota's 'super winch' is a standard size.

It's not a common question because not many on here have the toyota bar... hang around long enough and you will find out why.... :lol:
Good luck :)
jakelux

Postby RonBacardi8 on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 4:16 +0000

rickyf wrote:hey ronny,

Rick.

No probs mate, depending on which winch you get the price can vary from 650-3000 and cheap can be just as good or even better depending on brand. Tigerz is cheap and has been rated up there, i have one but can really say how good it is yet as i havnt recovered any nissan for the past few weeks and i only just got it installed :lol: :lol:
I had a MCC winch before that and it was below par IMO :(

If your green the 4WDing check out this link for tips:
http://www.4-wheeling-in-western-austra ... rrain.html
and:
http://www.4-wheeling-in-western-australia.com
RonBacardi8

Postby 07luxyTD on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 6:27 +0000

I am currently looking into this except on a geuine steel bar. I ask a bloke a work with a 120 prado as they run the same chassis and he has a factory alloy bar. His is mounted on a craddle bolted between the chassis and cross member not the bar, pre sure thats how he explained. ive also seen 2 toyota steel bars with winches mounted and i beleive they mount the same was as the roller fair lead was actually inside the bar its self.

Im still looking into it and i will update if i find somthing else

Cheers ross
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby Marlin on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:46 +0000

Hi Guys,
I also would like to know about the stock standard Toyota Bullbar mine is the steel one, when I went to my local ARB and asked if it was suited for a winch or not I was told that Toyota would know. :?

Now I know most members upgrade their bars to better ones, but Just for the moment I would like to use the factory one unless there is real safety/fault issue with it.

There is provision for a winch so why wouldn't ARB know if it will take a winch ?
Do I have to get something from Toyota to make it take a winch or would the winch have all the parts, I need to suit this bar.
Thanks in Advance to any replies
Marlin

Postby dazlux10 on Wed, 02 Jul 2014 12:18 +0000

Any luck on an answer
dazlux10

Postby dizzyinwa on Wed, 02 Jul 2014 1:18 +0000

Need to purchase a winch fitting kit from Toyota - approx $220.
If fitting a warn fairlead - will need to drill new off centre holes to fit up to cradle mounting (in toyota kit)
dizzyinwa

Postby mf_shifty on Wed, 02 Jul 2014 7:04 +0000

I looked at getting the Toyota chassis mount parts for my 05 current shape, but not only have they stopped making them but they were outrageously expensive, over $1000....
Try searching Toyota hilux chassis mount winch and you find some stuff but if your really after a winch, the more you'll read is that alloy bars need to be chassis mounted, I've just bought my first winch and I'm still getting crap off a bloke who thinks ill never use it, that being said, I prefer to be on the side of caution and I'm happy with my decision.
Other option is a turfer or hand winch, that's what I packed for the trips before I bought a winch... Never used it though hahaha
Good luck with your choices,
mf_shifty

Postby -Rosco- on Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:21 +0000

I thought the same when I bought my winch but the theroy was better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it but so far everytime I've been out I've come across someone, whether it be someone I'm out with or someone else whos stuck, that winching is just the easier or only opton. Other gear like Maxtrax remain unused so far. Also don't think you have to buy a Warn to have something usable. First time out with the Tigerz11 winch fitted, I recovered 5 other within an hour and the motor was barely warm. Best 600 bucks I've spent on 4x4 recovery gear so far.
-Rosco-

Postby alexisdmtr on Wed, 03 Sep 2014 4:03 +0000

Guys hi.Anybody using his winch as portable? Meaning he can attach it on the front or the back of its truck?
alexisdmtr

Winch install on a factory alloy bar

Postby ZD789 on Sat, 02 Apr 2016 2:22 +0000

Okay fellas,
I've looked into putting a winch on the factory alloy bull bar on my 2012 sr5.
Toyota don't make a cradle for this but I'm wondering if anyone has had success in this venture and if they can provide some guidance. I like my alloy bar and hope to keep it.

Cheers
ZD789

Re: Winch install on a factory alloy bar

Postby camm884 on Thu, 26 May 2016 8:28 +0000

I'm looking for the same info. I have a Ecb bull bar that the non winch version. It should be able to be done, just need to get the right cradle and then cutting a hole in the bull bar to put the cable through.
camm884

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 26 May 2016 3:34 +0000

Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Return to Exterior Mods