Best Canopies and Prices???

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Postby merto on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 7:06 +0000

I'm looking to purchase a canopy for my 2012 D/C Hilux and I just want to start a thread on advice about best canopies, prices and where people have bought their canopies?
merto

Postby Cavlux on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 5:12 +0000

Hey Merto

I just got my canopy last week. Cost around 2400k fitted and has central locking, led light, carpet lining and fold down interior front window so you can clean the rear window of the cab. Bought from Perth 4X4 in Wangara. The canopy has a Flake badge on it. The roof rails can take 50kg but much more with internal supports (about 7-800$). So far it has been great. The only issue is now i have to look through 3 tinted windows to see out the back. When i have my sunnies on i basically cant see a thing. I can see a reversing camera on the horizon. Good luck in your search.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uzau2b
Cavlux

Re: Best Canopies and Prices???

Postby kyle300exc on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 5:21 +0000

Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby merto on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 5:44 +0000

Hi mate,
Thanks for the reply, I've checked out your pics....looks like an awesome canopy. I love the smooth finish and the way the canopy followers the roof line. One question though, you said it was made by Flake? It looks similar to a Flexisport, if not the same? I'll give you a link to look at it.

http://www.flexiglass.com.au/canopies/t ... h-dual-cab

are these one in the same?

Thanks
Greg :)
merto

Postby Cavlux on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 6:02 +0000

Sports Range 4x4 Australia
www.sportsrange.com.au/BARS - BULL. x. © 2010 Sports Range Unit 6/15 Prindiville Dr Wangara WA ...

Sorry mate. Gave the wrong info. Sports 4x4. Not perth4x4. Definitely no flexiglass stickers or badges. Doesnt mean it doesnt come out of the same factory though.

It took about 6 weeks to arrive. Came from thailand.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?55g2xb
Cavlux

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 7:33 +0000

I paid around $2k flat for a Flexiglass flexisport (flake rebadged). Love it.
Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 7:34 +0000

Hi mate,

having recently gone through the process of looking at different new canopies i went with a Flexiglass Flexisport canopy with roof racks, for $3k.

It's made in Thailand and is a rebadged "flake" brand.

It has the batman lockable side windows, is perfectly sealed.

Marine carpet lined. Has a window opening to clean the back window of lux.

The rear door is centrally locked, and looks good.

Comes with the builtin LED lighting (nice and bright).

I wanted something that looked good, aswell as being very functional ... none of the cheaper stuff came close, and i most definately didn't want to bang on a nasty looking (cheap) canopy ... and totally kill the look of the car.

I also was looking at CarryBoy, but they did not have a rep in WA and were sloppy in getting back to me.

Get someting that compliments your car mate, don't cheapen it with a bad fit (like some matyes of mine have)

These pics i paste straight out of the "my Rig" thread for ya ;

Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 7:36 +0000

Cavlux : that's why i didn't tint my rear cabin window !
Qwerty

Postby gruntre69 on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 8:52 +0000

I just bought a caddy from caddy storage in WA for my Xcab. It was $2700 and I love it. 100KG roof loading and really nice locks, although no central locking.... Search Caddy on google for pics
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby merto on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 6:50 +0000

Qwerty wrote:I paid around $2k flat for a Flexiglass flexisport (flake rebadged). Love it.

Wow $2k? Where abouts did you get your flexisport for $2k?
merto

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 6:56 +0000

merto wrote:
Qwerty wrote:I paid around $2k flat for a Flexiglass flexisport (flake rebadged). Love it.

Shit sorry $3k
Qwerty

Postby merto on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 7:07 +0000

Qwerty wrote:
merto wrote:

Shit sorry $3k[/quote

Oh ok, all good, I'm in Sydney....where did you get yours from?
merto

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 8:23 +0000

Flexiglass in Malaga WA down the road. Being local had a Bearing and Did deal with state manager / production manager so plenty of recourse available for me.
Qwerty

Postby khany454 on Thu, 28 Jun 2012 8:08 +0000

interesting, them 2 canopies look identicle
khany454

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 28 Jun 2012 8:19 +0000

I'd say they are
Qwerty

Postby goldilux on Fri, 20 Jul 2012 1:04 +0000

flexiglass and sport 4x4 canopies are the same, better price from the latter (perth). looked into them both when i was in the hunt and the fitting, locking mechs, hinges, etc are all out of the same factory. Flexiglass will tell you they have specced theirs especially for them....but wouldn't tell me what the specific differences were. hmmm?

mine's been on for 6 months now and the only issue i have is the drainage around the back glass. in the wet, the water runs down the sides of the back glass frame, as it should, but pools just a little when it gets to the runoff point and can dampen the marine carpet inside. I'll be building that up with silicone when it dries out and she'll be right. apart from that, she's a tidy and very useful addition. gull wing side doors are great. the 40l engel in the back fits well on the fridge slide, even with the two-zone on top. rear hatch doesn't impede access to the coldies and that's important!

cheers,

goldilux
goldilux

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 20 Jul 2012 7:26 +0000

Goldlux nice timing mine is going into Flexiglass today to get that exact back glass window issue fixed. I also had leaks around the side windows due to not enough sealant (fixed).

Except, i thought like you did initially ... that it was just running down on the outside, it is infact running down n the inside of the metal panel and bubbling up on the inside of the glass.

Also .. check that you're marine carpet getting wet along the sills is not infact from the batman windows ... you may notice the water is entering at the top of the batman window seals, running under the conduit, and dribbling down into the sills ... took me a while to work that one out!

During rain, water is bubbling up out of the bottom seal on the back tailgate window. Again took me a while to figure out.

I think that : It is entering somewhere at the top where the glass is joined to the metal casing, or where the top “wing” is connected (or even wiring grommet, I not sure what the internal structure looks like though) … it runs down the side of the glass hidden behind the metal casing, runs in around behind (just above) where the locks are (this may explain that odd shorting issue I described) … and then bubbles up through a gap where the sealant along the bottom is not sealed properly (if it was sealed properly it wouldn’t bubble through there, but may still be an issue that water is running where it shouldn’t)

I didn’t want to start pulling anything apart myself trying to further diagnose given the warranty status.

In pics attached you’ll see red lines indicating water flow … with highlighted yellow being where the water is evident. Water ingress is not evident until at the bottom.

It runs onto the actual tray deck and then runs forward , wetting my gear at ground level. It gets quite the stream going when its raining.

Fixable in an arvo without having to take canopy off ? Next Friday? (not this Friday)

the side windows.............. (pasted from email)

5) … this we have not yet discussed … I am getting water ingress during rain, through the top of side windows, more to the point the seals … they are not glued properly to the fibreglass (see attached photo demonstrating how easily it comes away, and demonstrates why water can easily get in), so water runs in UNDER the seal, through the seal conduit down the sides of the window port and onto the internal sills. The seal to the glass is perfect, but the water is getting in under between the back of the seal and the fibreglass itself. A good squirt of silicone I imagine would sort this out. You will notice it’s very easy to pull the sealing away from the fibreglass lip.
It took me a while to work this out (sat in the canopy and had the girlfriend hit the hose).

Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 3:19 +0000

Thought I'd share a good experience to make up for a bad one.

My Flexiglass flexisport had shown signs of fading paint at about 4 years old, and by 6 years old it had mostly all cracked, turned yellow and peeled off completely.

Anyway, spoke to the guys at Flexiglass who have just spent 9 days completely stripping it back, full repaint and rebake ... put all the windows, locks, doors, wiring back in ... wiht new seals and rails ... free of charge.

Not bad for a 6 year old unit.

So, to their credit they just earnt some serious customer browny points with me ... and frankly the paint job and finish is actually BETTER than it was from the factory.

It would have taken a fairly heavy amount of hours to strip this thing back.

In short, the factory in thailand, "FLAKE", where they're made, had used crappy non UV stabilised paint. So that was a turn off, but the fact they fixed it is good in my mind.
Qwerty

Postby tazmancrash on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 2:12 +0000

We don't have much choice over here in new Zealand.
Fleetline are the biggest suplyer. But they have two types. A cheap $2500 one and a $5000 one. I have the later. It's a real nice canopy. Had slam locks, internal gutters, internal light, sliding rear window and nice large lift up side framed doors. It can take 100kg on top and is made of 8mm fiber glass. Nice smooth finish. But no center locking.

http://m.fleetline.co.nz/afawcs0158689/ ... Ultra.html
tazmancrash

Postby taresk on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 4:21 +0000

Qwerty wrote:Thought I'd share a good experience to make up for a bad one.

My Flexiglass flexisport had shown signs of fading paint at about 4 years old, and by 6 years old it had mostly all cracked, turned yellow and peeled off completely.

Anyway, spoke to the guys at Flexiglass who have just spent 9 days completely stripping it back, full repaint and rebake ... put all the windows, locks, doors, wiring back in ... wiht new seals and rails ... free of charge.

Not bad for a 6 year old unit.

So, to their credit they just earnt some serious customer browny points with me ... and frankly the paint job and finish is actually BETTER than it was from the factory.

It would have taken a fairly heavy amount of hours to strip this thing back.

In short, the factory in thailand, "FLAKE", where they're made, had used crappy non UV stabilised paint. So that was a turn off, but the fact they fixed it is good in my mind.

That's awesome customer service, a lot of companies would put it down to the age of the product and wash their hands of it.

Personally though I hate having a canopy, I put it back on when I got a reversing camera, but I'm already planning on ditching it again.
taresk

Next

Return to Exterior Mods