Custom made roof cage

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Custom made roof cage

Postby Earl-mi on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 3:12 +0000

Thinking of making a 2m roof rack cage to mount on top of my canvas canopy. Just wanting to know what principles I need to use to reduce wind noise and stop to much drag.

At the front of the cage it will be supported by my trays head board/roll bar. The rear I am unsure if I should get mounts popping through the canvas, but I'm unsure on how to water proof this design? The other design would be to have an exoskeleton type of design where a frame would follow the back on the canopy to support the cage. No waterproofing issues but won't look as neat.

Hear is the rear of the canopy showing where the external gram would run. Image

I was thinking of making it out of round pipe probally 15nb. With a small 200mm ish wind break on the front. And sides around 150mm high. The back would be left open for longer thing if the need arises.

I would use it for oztent rv5, 4x4 queen mattress, long handled shovel Etc. Nothing too heavy to alter the center of gravity to much.

Thanks Mitch
Earl-mi

Custom made roof cage

Postby Earl-mi on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 4:13 +0000

Just a little update. Googled a few things.

Most of the Canopys have an eyelet pressed into the canvas where the bolts mount through. They all seamed to say it does work and stay dry.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/38019/Roof_rack_on_canvas_canopy.aspx
Info from

I think I would mount some soft rubber under the feet of the rack to stop it wearing through the canvas and also as a flap over the eyelet for waterproofing.

Thanks Mitch
Earl-mi

Return to Exterior Mods