Fitting a roof rack.

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Fitting a roof rack.

Postby slik_master@msn.com on Sun, 05 Feb 2012 8:37 +0000

Has anyone has fitted a roof rack in the runners of the roof not the clamp type? I found some Tacoma instructions and was wondering has anyone done it like this..? http://www.toyotapart.com/2005-2010_TAC ... -35050.pdf
slik_master@msn.com

Re: Fitting a roof rack.

Postby slik_master@msn.com on Mon, 06 Feb 2012 9:14 +0000

ANYONE..???
slik_master@msn.com

Postby Elrico on Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:32 +0000

Hey guys,

Ive searched and searched but only come up with this unanswered post. I have bought an ARB Half Cage for my 07' SR5 Dual cab. Im am intending on installing it onto the top of my cab. I spoke to the bloke at ARB and he was quite happy that i had opted to do it myself, saying that the job required removal of the roof lining, and that it had "many pitfalls" and thus him not doing it made his life easier :shock: . My friend and I are pretty handy and definitely not afraid to give things a go (Such as installing my lift kit recently :lol: ). Is this really that hardcore of a job that it scares the people that sell the item, away?

Dont suppose anyone has done this before? Any handy tips on removing the roof lining of the lux? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Eric
Elrico

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 4:07 +0000

Ive seen them on the net fitted to tacomas and they look pretty good. I dont understand why someone over here hasnt brought them in. Will be interesting to see how you go as Im in a similar situation pondering the different options
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Blackie2008 on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 4:48 +0000

Check out this thread... viewtopic.php?t=13800
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 8:22 +0000

yes have been through that thread, thanks. They look a good option expensive though
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Elrico on Thu, 09 Aug 2012 4:27 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:Ive seen them on the net fitted to tacomas and they look pretty good. I dont understand why someone over here hasnt brought them in. Will be interesting to see how you go as Im in a similar situation pondering the different options

Ill keep you posted mate. Friend and I will give it a read hot go, take some photos of how we did it (or ruined it :lol: ) and hopefully it'll help you with your installation......let you know closer to the date the Rack arrives. Watch this space ;)
Elrico

Postby Elrico on Tue, 16 Oct 2012 8:26 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:yes have been through that thread, thanks. They look a good option expensive though

Hopefully you haven't watched this space for too long hahaha :lol: . I finally got round too fitting the ARB half cage roof rack too my 07 SR5. Piece of piss too be honest. I have instructions that came with the box that i could scan if anyone is in need of them. They seemed too be rare as hens teeth when i went searching for some track mounted ones. Pretty much undid as follows;

* Sunvisors (2 screws each)
* Glasses holder (2 screws)
* All jesus bars in cab (roof handles, 2 screws each)
* Any flush plastic clip
* All seatbelts (1 bolt each)
* Door seals (come out EASY and go in EASIER, nothing too it)

Dropped the roof a tiny bit on the needed spots for the brackets, drilled the holes where it asked for it, galved them, siliconed them, bolt them down. Put the side rails on, tightened them. Plonked the cage on, fixed it with given bolts and brackets.

ARB guy was laughing on the phone when i said i was going too do it. Reckoned allowing 2 hours was a bit stupid and they they'd of lost money on it if i got them too do it. Works out it took a friend and myself just over 3 hours too do it without tackling it before. If anyones in Perth and needs a hand, more then happy too come over and show you the ropes.

Also if anyone does want me too scan the Instructions and plonk them up here, gimmie a yell.

Cheers,

Eric
Elrico

Postby Darkie79 on Wed, 17 Oct 2012 7:02 +0000

Hey I'm in Townsville and am thinking of buying one of these. I would be keen to see the instructions to see if it's worth doing myself.
Thanks
Darkie79

Postby 07luxyTD on Wed, 17 Oct 2012 7:10 +0000

I beleive my 07 had the channel mounts not the clamps as they have been cut to suit, so must be somthing around for them. Removed before i received car
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 17 Oct 2012 7:25 +0000

I had TL engineering fit my roof mount rhino rack sportz

** Sent from tapatalk**
Qwerty

Postby 10 luxxxx on Wed, 17 Oct 2012 8:18 +0000

Elrico wrote:
kyle300exc wrote:yes have been through that thread, thanks. They look a good option expensive though

Hopefully you haven't watched this space for too long hahaha :lol: . I finally got round too fitting the ARB half cage roof rack too my 07 SR5. Piece of piss too be honest. I have instructions that came with the box that i could scan if anyone is in need of them. They seemed too be rare as hens teeth when i went searching for some track mounted ones. Pretty much undid as follows;

* Sunvisors (2 screws each)
* Glasses holder (2 screws)
* All jesus bars in cab (roof handles, 2 screws each)
* Any flush plastic clip
* All seatbelts (1 bolt each)
* Door seals (come out EASY and go in EASIER, nothing too it)

Dropped the roof a tiny bit on the needed spots for the brackets, drilled the holes where it asked for it, galved them, siliconed them, bolt them down. Put the side rails on, tightened them. Plonked the cage on, fixed it with given bolts and brackets.

ARB guy was laughing on the phone when i said i was going too do it. Reckoned allowing 2 hours was a bit stupid and they they'd of lost money on it if i got them too do it. Works out it took a friend and myself just over 3 hours too do it without tackling it before. If anyones in Perth and needs a hand, more then happy too come over and show you the ropes.

Also if anyone does want me too scan the Instructions and plonk them up here, gimmie a yell.

Cheers,

Eric

Any photos of your finished product mate
10 luxxxx

Postby Doddsy on Fri, 23 Nov 2012 9:22 +0000

X2 for photos
Doddsy

Postby packeteer on Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:10 +0000

Qwerty wrote:I had TL engineering fit my roof mount rhino rack sportz

seeing your racks is what convinced me to go the Sports over the HD versions. really happy with the result. only cost $100 for the install. and roof lining was not touched
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby rickyf on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:47 +0000

packeteer wrote:
Qwerty wrote:I had TL engineering fit my roof mount rhino rack sportz

seeing your racks is what convinced me to go the Sports over the HD versions. really happy with the result. only cost $100 for the install. and roof lining was not touched

I also loved Qwertys photos which motivated me to go that style he even sent me a pick of the awning mounted to it. i just did mine this morning easy as and im pretty novice on the tools took about 2 hours stopping for drinks and stuff rapped witth the results was quoted 140 to fit. but that money towards my new awning.

so any guys looking to do the same. give it ago really wasnt hard.
\\cheers
\\Rickyf
rickyf

Postby Elrico on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:29 +0000

Hey guys sorry, i dont frequent this forum enough :P Too busy having fun in the lux haha.

Loaded.

Unloaded.

Very happy with it. Does exactly what i wanted it too do! Looks tough personally, is tough and also, i with a little skill and a bit of luck drilled in through the tubing mounts and bolted my AUSLED 3wx48 LED lightbar too it. Tasty :twisted:
Elrico

Postby Elrico on Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:31 +0000

Darkie79 wrote:Hey I'm in Townsville and am thinking of buying one of these. I would be keen to see the instructions to see if it's worth doing myself.
Thanks

Are you still keen on the intructions? Ill have to try dig them up if you are! Providing you are after the ARB bar.
Elrico

Postby jakelux on Sun, 25 Nov 2012 4:59 +0000

Looks great mate..... i want one.. :roll:
jakelux

Postby Packdaddy on Sun, 25 Nov 2012 8:04 +0000

How have you found the light bar up there?

I've been really keen on this idea but heard people talk about reflection off the bull bar, bonnet etc and that it's illegal maybe? There's plenty of roof mounted spot ties around though..
Packer

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14867

'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men' - Sir Douglas Bader
Packdaddy

Postby Elrico on Sun, 25 Nov 2012 11:23 +0000

Yeah definitely agree with the reflection on the bonnet, its quite bright but not unbearable. The only thing is my friend has an ally framed canopy setup on the back and has complained his cab blocks the light, so it seems you're damned if you do, damned if you dont. You either miss the light infront of the bullbar by being too far back, or get the light in front and hit the bonnet. I mean, you can angle it up a bit more, it takes away the reflection dramatically but how far angled up is too much? Too the point where you no longer are shooting a direct beam. I think i need too tweak it a little more upwards and paint my antenna matte black. White antennas were a bad choice :lol:

As for illegal, i thought it was only illegal too have lights on your car that were not functional. I was unaware having them in certain positions was illegal.

P.S. Its fun too beam retards that drive like morons, but if you get them at the right time (at speed camera locations) and with just a quick flick, they throw on the brakes and prob wait for weeks wondering if they are getting a speeding fine ;)

Thanks Jakelux, id recommend one any day of the week. And fit it yourself. Instructions are quite easy, and the money you save $2-300 can be better spent on something nice like my ARB compressor i just bought :lol: . Technically free installing the rack myself....this helps me sleep at night :twisted:
Elrico

Next

Return to Exterior Mods