Rhino rack wind noise!!!!

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Rhino rack wind noise!!!!

Postby Ingradam on Sun, 04 Apr 2021 8:37 +0000

Good evening,

I had a rhino rack pioneer flat platform with the track and back bone system installed earlier this year to a 2014 dual cab hilux.

Looks great, but the wind noise is unbearable even at 50km. Dose anyone have any tips with reducing wind noise, apart from removing it lol.

Thanks
Ingradam

Re: Rhino rack wind noise!!!!

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:41 +0000

As kids we'd stick bits of card board to "flap" on the spokes of our push bikes. It was a noise that annoyed the piss out of adults. Maybe wrap your racks in a tarp and have a small pocket of the tarp flap in the wind. It'd be so annoying that you might forget about the annoyance of the other noises?

In all seriousness though, all I can suggest is to double and triple check that there isn't a part, component or screw in your system that is loose and maybe causing more noise than it should. The other option is to check with your retailer ... or even go straight to "Rhino" and ask if it's a known problem.
Rob_Wood

Postby 1tuff4b on Mon, 05 Apr 2021 1:06 +0000

There is some wind noise from the backbone system itself, found this also on my Prado, but nothing like the noise that comes from the peice of s$&@ racks you get from Kings that I’m currently about to throw down the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life Begins in Low Range"
1tuff4b

Postby Ingradam on Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:48 +0000

I’ve tried rhino rack themselves. They asked for photos so they could determine which items were installed and if it was installed correctly. I’ve emailed the photos as requested and several follow up emails but seems as if there not interested in assisting any further.

The wind noise of the rhino rack is unbearable, I definitely could not recommend there products especially with there lack of after sales assistance. I may sell the rack and look at alternative options.

I was hoping someone had a solution :)
Ingradam

Postby dave g on Tue, 06 Apr 2021 6:46 +0000

Try putting tape over the holes in the back bone.
dave g

Postby andries laubscher on Wed, 07 Apr 2021 9:58 +0000

Hi,
Sometimes the noise is caused by airflow over the smooth surface. This can be prevented by disrupting the airflow, by winding something rope like around the structure.

Not sure if this applies to your problem

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
andries laubscher

Postby martynvella on Thu, 08 Apr 2021 4:51 +0000

Most racks create some noise. Ive got rola racks and wind noise was the first thing we noticed, and they are the most aerodynamic bars i have seen. First trip we did we learned you have to be very creative on how to stop the straps roaring above 40 kph.
Thought about putting insulation behind the headlining mut got used to the noise.
martynvella

Postby Ingradam on Sun, 18 Apr 2021 8:38 +0000

So I still have had no return correspondence or assistance from rhino rack, which is very poor form. I removed the pioneer platform and adjusted it so it sits as far back as possible which seems to have reduced the wind noise drastically. I’m also going to try a light bar across the front which has been recommended.

Has anyone installed a light bar on the front of a pioneer rhino rack? What size and brand did you install?

Thanks
Ingradam

Postby martynvella on Mon, 19 Apr 2021 4:19 +0000

My lad just had (dare i say)a kings one fitted to his colarado, no noticable noise at all when empty. Amazed me.
martynvella

Postby Fnordy on Mon, 10 May 2021 9:11 +0000

I had a full pioneer rack / backbone fitted to my MY18 200VX and almost no noise unless you slide open the sunroof cover. So many of them around, seems like something is wrong if you are experiencing such bad wind noise! Gotta be a reason for this.

Is a bugger as they screw so many holes in the roof to put in the tracks making it hard to change your mind later

I steered way from Rhino platform on SR5 based on info from Ronny Dahl / Tyler Thompson / Auto Expert reviews and opted for an ARB Base Rack. This turned out to be a total disaster as unbearable wind noise at 60kph. Granted they don't have wind deflector in stock so waiting for that but can't really use without it.

Also had a huge metal-on-metal vibration until I put a length of double-sided tape between platform and backbone but that was pretty easily fixable.
Fnordy

Postby Ingradam on Wed, 09 Jun 2021 8:04 +0000

I was considering removing the rhino rack and opting for the ARB rack instead, might need to look at an alternative.

Rhino have confirmed it has been installed correctly. And provided rubber strips to place in the groves to reduce the noise, although the ones that were sent didn’t fit lol.

I’m considering no rack atm as I can’t make calls above 70km lol. I did move the rack as far back as possible which helped a little, but it is still terrible.
Ingradam

Postby ng_newbie on Tue, 24 May 2022 7:52 +0000

G'Day Ingradam

Did you manage to get the Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform noise 'fixed' ?

I have been watching for a few to be avail. on gumtree and this does not seem to have happened yet.
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Return to Exterior Mods