Tow Bar extension

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Tow Bar extension

Postby Hillsy59 on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 8:16 +0000

I have a 2009 SR with a1.8 meter tray have what I think is the original Toyota tow bar.
The problem I'm having is that because the towing point is nearly 300mm under the tray my new camper trailer hits the corner of the tray even when turning even a moderate corner.
I have a 270mm 50x50 receiver hitch and I've been told by several trailer/towbar stockist that the longest one you can get 300mm so this would only give me another 50mm at best.
Does anybody know of some sort of extension kit or something that could be fitted to bring the towing point out from under the tray by approximately 200mm that would still be compliant.
The only option I've found so far is a towbar manufacturer on the south side of Brisbane that makes a bar just for that purpose but $500 fitted.
Hillsy59

Re: Tow Bar extension

Postby nicebike on Thu, 01 Dec 2016 6:11 +0000

I have dealt with this sort of problem for myself with trailers and boat trailers several times.

Extending the tow bar greatly multiples forces on the chassis and the bolts attaching the bar. Also loads up the suspension more. I make an extension for the trailer draw bar to solve the problem. Longer drawbar also makes reversing the trailer easier.

Your call :)
nicebike

Return to Exterior Mods