Engine Noise in 2004 Hilux 1KZ-TE

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Engine Noise in 2004 Hilux 1KZ-TE

Postby Chemistry on Sat, 09 Sep 2017 8:30 +0000

Hey guys, below is a clicking / knocking noise in my 3l Turbo Diesel engine that has been getting progressively worse over the last two years. I started noticing it at startup and it would rattle a bit and then disappear and I took it into a Toyota Service Center who couldn't find the cause and said it does not appear to be affecting the vehicle at all so leave it be, but of late it is far more pronounced and is almost always there on cold or warm startup or when I park at the end of a trip of any length.

The noise is very irregular in that it does not seem in tune with the running of the actual engine and seems to disappear when I accelerate / rev the engine. Toyota have changed oils to see if that helps to no avail.

https://www.facebook.com/brendonu/videos/10154628426347130/

I took it into a different Toyota service center this week and they spent the day going over it with no idea whats causing it. Their advice was to leave it to actually fault or become more obvious however I do quite a bit of camping in the middle of nowhere and cant afford to have it shit itself whilst out bush and at least a 4 hour drive from anywhere even remotely civilized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chemistry

Re: Engine Noise in 2004 Hilux 1KZ-TE

Postby gordolux on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 5:05 +0000

I had the same problem with my 04 kzte,got my mechanic mate to have a look and all it was was very fine cracks in my fanbelts.put new belts on and all good after that.before that though it sounded like it had something loose in the motor.
gordolux

Re: Engine Noise in 2004 Hilux 1KZ-TE

Postby Chemistry on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 8:09 +0000

I was going to give it a few weeks before replying but I've just replaced one of the pulley bearings and the belts and so far so good. You may be on the money.

Thanks for posting mate.
Chemistry

Return to Engines