Cam out by 180 Degrees - Would car start?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Cam out by 180 Degrees - Would car start?

Postby Scooby-d00 on Sat, 17 Jun 2017 7:34 +0000

Hi All,

Hoping someone can clarify this for me - I'm no mechanic by the way but i thought that if the motor is very likely be stuffed anyway might as well give it a go myself.

5L hilux had the timing idler bearing seize and as a result stripped all the teeth off the timing belt possibly leaving crank, cam and injector pumps all out of timing (in addition to possibly bent valves etc).

To try and gather the extent of the damage, I bought a new timing belt kit and replaced the the idler, tensioner and belt after aligning the crank, cam and injector pulleys to their respective marks. The only problem is that i didnt ensure if the crank was at TDC compression or exhaust stroke (as i didnt know at the time - most resources only state TDC, not TDC compression stroke). The car kicks over but sounds rough - very likely due to damage caused by the seized bearing but just want to also make sure its not because of me possibly not having the crank at TDC compression when refitting the timing components.

So would the car start and kick over if the cam was out by 180 deg? If so, would i likely see the symptoms as what is mentioned above? A lot of resources say just rotate the crank one full revolution and the cam will be right but i'm going to assume that if i rotate the crank one full revolution (with belt on), then the cam would have also moved 180 deg leaving me in the same position. i'm assuming this is likely to apply only to situations where you are just doing a straight belt (and bearing replacements) where everything was fine prior.

Input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Scooby-d00

Re: Cam out by 180 Degrees - Would car start?

Postby martynvella on Sat, 17 Jun 2017 7:52 +0000

it is the cams that determine if the engine is on compression or exhaust so if the engine is 360 degrees out it will make no difference, as long as the cam and all other marks are set when the crank is at tdc, the crank angle sensor cant differentiate what stroke it is on, that is why there is a cam angle sensor as well.
martynvella

Return to Engines