Help me diagnose my problem please - 2.7l Petrol Engine

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Help me diagnose my problem please - 2.7l Petrol Engine

Postby 70chev on Tue, 03 Jan 2017 8:45 +0000

Hi Guys,

Am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 99 Hilux with the 2.7l petrol engine. The car has over 300K kilometers, but is in surprisingly great condition. The guy I bought if off said the engine was replaced around 120k's prior to selling it to me and had recently had a head gasket replaced. Anyway, the car has been running perfectly up until recently.

I started to notice a bit of a whining noise coming from the engine bay, which sounded like a pulley bearing or the like. It would come and go, get loud and then stop and then come again. I tried to find it amongst the drive belts and idler wheels etc. but had no luck. Then, the car started to would intermitently increase revs at idle up to around 1,400RPM then sometimes drop back down to normal, or to somewhere in between. Also, under acceleration, again intermitently, it would ping heavily and then mid gear stop pinging and you'd feel it pick up power, like some switch had been activated, sometimes, while other times it would continue to ping all through the gears.

At times, when you turned the engine off and then started it again, it would fire right up, other times, it would just turn over and over and I'd have to clutch start it. It seems like something is causing the timing to shift up or down, then back to normal again. Has anyone had this type of thing before and could it be a timing chain, or coil pack or something else. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Darren
70chev

Re: Help me diagnose my problem please - 2.7l Petrol Engine

Postby mutt01 on Tue, 03 Jan 2017 2:37 +0000

hi. once had a customers mitsi van with petrol engine that the keyway on crank chewed out the crank pulley, so intermittant wild variations in cam and ign timing
good luck
mutt01

Postby Ozwaz on Wed, 04 Jan 2017 4:56 +0000

Sounds like sticky dizzy advance weights.
Ozwaz

Postby 70chev on Wed, 04 Jan 2017 7:12 +0000

Ozwaz wrote:Sounds like sticky dizzy advance weights.

Ozwaz,

Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit confused though and probably a bit dumb on this, but the car has the injected engine with coil packs so there is no distributor, right? If it doesn't have a distributor, is there something else that could be affecting the timing, like sticking distributor weights might, but in a coil pack engine?

Thanks.

Darren
70chev

Postby woza_black on Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:27 +0000

If I remember correctly , those engines have a timing chain, so it may be stretched or the guides are worn allowing it to flop around. I had a hilux with the 2.7 in it and I had a weird noise that sounded like a belt pulley failing. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer, it had delaminated and the outer pulley was slipping on the inner rubber material.
woza_black

Postby Ozwaz on Thu, 05 Jan 2017 4:57 +0000

Must have a crank or cam angle sensor, check wires.
Ozwaz

Postby 70chev on Wed, 11 Jan 2017 9:13 +0000

Hey guys, so I thought I'd close this out as I found my problem. I ran the car pretty low on fuel the other week and it turns out I clogged the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday and it's as good as new.

Thanks your your suggestions.

Darren
70chev

Postby 70chev on Thu, 19 Jan 2017 8:14 +0000

OK, so I spoke too soon. The car ran great for about two days and then it slowly got worse until it has returned to where it was before I replaced the filter. So, I'm thinking I've got some badly contaminated fuel that keeps blocking the filter so I'll check that out.

But before I do, and I don't have a workshop manual for the car so I apologise for asking, but I just wanted to check that there is only one fuel filter in the fuel line for my car. I replaced the fuel filter located on the right hand side inner guard/fender in the engine bay, but I've seen some youtube videos that have a fuel filter under the left hand sill of the car. I haven't looked yet, but will, but does my 1999 petrol hilux have only one fuel filter?

Thanks in advance guys.

Darren
70chev

Return to Engines