2KD-FTV Intercooler

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

2KD-FTV Intercooler

Postby pawcu on Tue, 22 Dec 2015 5:25 +0000

Hello everyone,

I did some research already but I still cannot find the answer to my question. I am still a bit green when it comes to this topic so feel free to redirect me to another post.
I have a 2003 Toyota Hilux 270VX with a 2.5L D4D 2KD-FTV engine without an intercooler. I was planning to add a bullbar, air snorkel and some bigger tyres on my pickup and wanted to get some more power from the engine. As it is I already feel that it is a bit laggy from standstill and was wondering if adding an intercooler would help. I might consider adding a chip as well.
Having said that, should i just get the chip (any product suggestions)? Should i get a top mount or a front mount interooler? I heard that top mount would have less turbo lag which is better for my case but considering that I will mostly be doing city driving with it, i was worried about heat soak after a while. Then again not sure if the snorkel with the front mount will cause even more lag.
Should you have any questions please ask :) Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
pawcu

Re: 2KD-FTV Intercooler

Postby pawcu on Sat, 26 Dec 2015 5:23 +0000

Anyone? :P
pawcu

Postby Jacko9 on Sat, 26 Dec 2015 6:28 +0000

as you've said, a top mount will heatsoak, but you won't have turbo lag, whereas a front mount seems to be the other way around. Most people seem to go with a front mount when chasing horsepower, might be something worth thinking about. Also, you should pop over to the introductions section, and introduce yourself mate.
Jacko9

Postby pawcu on Sat, 02 Jan 2016 2:20 +0000

Jacko9 wrote:as you've said, a top mount will heatsoak, but you won't have turbo lag, whereas a front mount seems to be the other way around. Most people seem to go with a front mount when chasing horsepower, might be something worth thinking about. Also, you should pop over to the introductions section, and introduce yourself mate.

Hi Jack, thanks i put an introduction hehe :)
And will a snorkel affect anything regarding lag/horsepower?
pawcu

Postby Jacko9 on Sat, 02 Jan 2016 8:47 +0000

I am not an expert mate, but the snorkel is essentially a cold air intake, so I would think that it could only help mate, and it shouldn't add lag into the system, as it is plumbed in before your air filter.
Jacko9

Postby nicebike on Sat, 02 Jan 2016 1:13 +0000

Depends whose snorkel and how much air you are trying to flow. Certainly the air at snorkel intake height should becooler than closer to the road, BUT some of those things can really strangle a big horsepower engine.

If you are the sort of driver who uses the bottom and mid range torque, and understands that these things aren't hot hatches, a snorkel is unlikely to cause issues.

And yes - go front mount.
nicebike

Postby ABear86 on Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:21 +0000

This thread relates to many of the same worries I have in my head, so I will bring it up rather than make a new one.

I have a 2005 (old model) and thinking of mounting an intercooler. Plan was front mount, but as my car has AC I cant use the "normal" house routings as I've seen others use.The AC-compressor is in the way!

I was thinking to maybe get a cooler with in-/outlets in the bottom, and rout the pies under the front traverse, but they will get very long, and will be very exposed driving on bad (no) roads.

Anyone mounted an FMIC to a 2kd with AC or know this model well enough to come up with ideas?

BTW - also have a Safari snorkel fitted. Can the ECU be retuned in these, or do I have to get a chip to crank up boost and fuel preassure?
ABear86

Return to Engines