What to do? Decisions decisions...

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

What to do? Decisions decisions...

Postby dazza96 on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 5:48 +0000

Hello fellas

Just wanting some advice on the guys who are running the 2.8L diesel

I currently have a 1989 Single cab lux with a 22R Petrol engine in it... Over the past year I have spent to much money on it.. including Front shock hoops rear shocks are inverted, marine carpet, roof console, body lift etc etc etc....
Its now come to a point where Im wanting a diesel for the reliability and better fuel economy as this 22R is using close to 18L per 100Ks...

Do I...

1, Sell my lux and buy a diesel and start from scratch ( wouldnt mind a different truck )

2. Drop a 2.8 or 3.0TD into my current chassis, This means changing of the engine mounts bell housing and possibly gearbox,

What do you guys think would be the best option? Buy something thats already got a diesel in it or drop one in mine.. Im only 19 years old and this is my first car, i have been through thick and thin with this truck but still love it and will be tough to see it go, but... Wouldnt mind a new truck 1995ish

Thoughts?

Thanks
dazza96

Re: What to do? Decisions decisions...

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 5:58 +0000

another option would be a commodore v6 conversion, im pretty sure there are kits made up to do the swap and would be far better on fuel with plenty of poke. (my younger brother was looking to do this with his old lux but ended up going a 308 V8 cos hes stupid) would also be fairly cheap and there is always the option of getting a supercharged 6 out of a calais and having bulk power.
doing the convrsion yourself would also be a great learning experience and come with wicked satisfaction when it first starts
fracturedranga

Re: What to do? Decisions decisions...

Postby mattwhite on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 8:04 +0000

Do a d4d conversion. That'd be absolutely mint.
mattwhite

Return to Engines