petrol in a D4D

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

petrol in a D4D

Postby martynvella on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 8:16 +0000

I tried a search but didn't have time to look through the 11500 results.

Question,

What happens if someone puts unleaded in the tank by mistake?

I know in the past it was catastrophic, some of the later manufacturers detect the fuel change and shut down before any damage.

The more I learn about hilux's the more im disappointed about their lack of technology, they only seem to put in what is required by Australian or mining company demands and leave other fancy stuff for the other countries that demand it.

Do our engines turn into shrapnel with a belly full of unleaded? Has anyone experienced it?
martynvella

Re: petrol in a D4D

Postby mattwhite on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 8:47 +0000

Seen it done plenty of times but no obvious damage yet. From my understanding it destroys the fuel system as it offers no lubrication for the pump or injectors. I think it'd stop running before it blew up.

One thing to remember with all the tech the euro cars offer, it's more crap to f$@#&% up. I personally don't mind the features on my old ute. It's just a ute.

I'll ad before someone chimes in, I do realise the damage can read its head months later after small score marks become larger. Hard to sell pump or injectors when it starts after draining the tank though.
mattwhite

Postby Luxi46 on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 8:56 +0000

I'll only add to what Matt already stated: The best thing to do is shut the engine off the moment you realise your mistake. And tow it to the nearest shop to get the tank drained and fuel lines/pump flushed. With luck, and if you got to it in time, the engine only ran on the diesel that was still left in the fuel lines or pump. Unleaded is more of a solvent. No lubrication means shrapnel is exactly what you end up with, in the fuel pump that is.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:07 +0000

It depends on how far the vehicle has been driven on petrol.
I have seen supply pump housings cracked in two from no lubrication.
I have saved many vehicles from this situation.
Drain the tank and change out the fuel filter with a new one. If you can fill up the tank with fresh diesel fuel, all the better. This makes the petrol left in the tank, a smaller percentage.
Pump the primer on the fuel filter assembly, so that there is no petrol left in the lines. You do this by taking off the fuel line going to the supply pump. Now, remove the supply pump hose from the supply pump.
Reattach it to the fuel filter assembly and prime diesel fuel through it.
Reattach the supply pump hose and prime the fuel filter assembly while cracking over the engine.
The vehicle will run rough (Rattling) for a minute or so, and then it should be alright. This is if the vehicle hasn't done to many kms on petrol fuel.
Hope this helps, the Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:22 +0000

Hey there Marty
A work colleague did this in a Prado D4D with less than 30K on the clock. From memory it was less then half a tank full. Drove small km around town for a day or maybe two until noticed it wasnt running smoothly.... he checked the fuel receipt to find that he hadnt topped it up with diesel.

Had the tank drained and surprisingly no problems for the last 100K since. Not sure what sort of long term damage was done or if the fuel pump will have a shorter than expected life span.
DeadlyBeast

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:37 +0000

The Prados are a bugger, as they have two fuel filters, one between the tanks, and two fuel tanks.
Fun, and a messy job.
I did one before Christmas, and lucky the vehicle hadn't gone to far on petrol, 8kms.
Run a diesel conditioner like Flashlube, for a while.
I do put a bit of engine oil at the entrance of the supply pump, where the hose joins into the supply pump. I forgot to say that before.
It's hard to know the needle and the damage done.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby martynvella on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 6:56 +0000

Thanks for the response fellas.
They are a lot more tolerant than I thought, if the fuel system is the only thing, or should I say the most likely thing to be damaged.

Some of the old bangers revved uncontrollably.

I did once a long time ago put diesel in a petrol powered car, other than embarrassment no real damage but every time I have refueled a car since I think of that moment.

It is a real worry if you lend the car to someone and they do the right thing by trying to return it full of fuel.
martynvella

Return to Engines