Experiences with extractors

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Experiences with extractors

Postby travo on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 8:35 +0000

I was just wondering what your experiences have been with extractors on your 3RZ's?

Been considering it for a bit, but now seems I have an exhaust leak, so have to decide to install another stock header vs extractors a little sooner.

Are they much louder? I don't want to sound like a lowlux haha. I have a 2.25" exhaust already, just a normal muffler as far as I know. Its a bit louder than stock but not too much.

Did you install it yourself or take it to a shop? What did it cost? I'm thinking Hurricane Headers, they already come with a flange, so it should be just a matter of changing the gaskets and bolting straight up to the tailpipe?

Also did the 2000 2.7s have catalytic converters? There's something just before the tailpipe flange, but looks more like a small muffler? The cat picture in the workshop manual looks completely different.

Sorry for the stack of questions, any info would be helpful :) Cheers
travo

Re: Experiences with extractors

Postby backinalux on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 9:02 +0000

my 2013 2.7 has a cat that looks like a resonator.. actually 2.. not sure if its 2 cats or 1 cat 1 resonator. extractors shouldnt make too much difference in maximum db, they will change the note though. If you find its too loud, or dont like the new note, add a resonator, they dont restrict flow much and will cut a fair bit of noise out.
backinalux

Postby travo on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 5:13 +0000

I didn't think of resonators... What does it cost to have them added if needed?

Has anyone actually put a set on a 3rz?
travo

Postby backinalux on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 3:35 +0000

Stuff all at any exhaust shop. Take them 10 mins. Cut a foot out of pipe, weld in resonator. And resonators are simple and cheap to buy ;)
backinalux

Return to Engines