Adjusting valves RZ3fe 2.7EFI Engine

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Postby Bluey Zarsoff on Mon, 30 Jun 2014 7:23 +0000

Hi everyone,
I have an 02 Hilux with an RZ3fe 2.7EFI engine, which is running fine.
However, at 153 000 km I think it's time to check my valve clearances and would appreciate a heads up on what to expect.
I believe it is a four valve setup, with twin cams and over bucket shims.

Do the cams have to come out to adjust them?
What will the chain tensioner do when I do take them out?

Thanks in advance.
Bluey Zarsoff

Re: Adjusting valves RZ3fe 2.7EFI Engine

Postby jaikai on Tue, 01 Jul 2014 6:55 +0000

Cams need to be in place to check clearance. Pretty straight forward job, time consuming though.

Start with a cold engine.Get the rocker cover off and turn engine to TDC on #1. From here you can check clearance on all valves on #1, intake on #2 and exhaust on #3. Turn the crank 360 and check all #4, #2 exhaust and #3 intake. Write down the clearances as you go.

We're loooking for around 10-11" on the intake side (think 6-10" is within spec) and around 14" on the exhaust side.

This is where the fun begins :D
You have an opened top end, skinned knuckles and a page full of random numbers...
We need to fit shims of the right size (thickness) to achieve clearance specs. Not all shims will need changing. You can get a nifty tool from EBay to pull em out with cams in-situ or pull the cams out, sorta depends on the job/day.

Any valves not in spec, remove the shim and measure the thickness with a digital caliper. Now, say your #1 front ex' valve clearance was 12". You need a shim 2" thicker to replace it with.

Shims are readily available from Toyota in about 14 sizes. Precision shims make em too. Me being me, I went to the local self serve wreckers and pulled shims from low/mid Km 5vz camrys heheh.

There's a bit more to it but the suns out and the grandsons are harassing me to go do stuff, sure a few others can go into more detail for you mate.
jaikai

Re: Adjusting valves RZ3fe 2.7EFI Engine

Postby jaikai on Tue, 01 Jul 2014 6:56 +0000

Cams need to be in place to check clearance. Pretty straight forward job, time consuming though.

Start with a cold engine.Get the rocker cover off and turn engine to TDC on #1. From here you can check clearance on all valves on #1, intake on #2 and exhaust on #3. Turn the crank 360 and check all #4, #2 exhaust and #3 intake. Write down the clearances as you go.

We're loooking for around 10-11" on the intake side (think 6-10" is within spec) and around 14" on the exhaust side.

This is where the fun begins :D
You have an opened top end, skinned knuckles and a page full of random numbers...
We need to fit shims of the right size (thickness) to achieve clearance specs. Not all shims will need changing. You can get a nifty tool from EBay to pull em out with cams in-situ or pull the cams out, sorta depends on the job/day.

Any valves not in spec, remove the shim and measure the thickness with a digital caliper. Now, say your #1 front ex' valve clearance was 12". You need a shim 2" thicker to replace it with.

Shims are readily available from Toyota in about 14 sizes. Precision shims make em too. Me being me, I went to the local self serve wreckers and pulled shims from low/mid Km 5vz camrys heheh.

There's a bit more to it but the suns out and the grandsons are harassing me to go do stuff, sure a few others can go into more detail for you mate.
jaikai

Postby Whitebull on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 4:07 +0000

Hi all I'm at 160,000 km on my 2000 lux. thinking about checking the the valve clearances. Can someone provide a link to the eBay tool mentioned above. Whilst I would prefer to use the gen Toyota tool at $170 I'm looking for a cheaper alternative that will do the same job. Cheers
Whitebull

Return to Engines