1kz-te boost/fuel cut out

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: 1kz-te boost/fuel cut out

Postby Zaxusername on Mon, 11 Nov 2013 7:29 +0000

I can't say I noticed a how as such, you do have a snorkel, call me crazy but it might be the extra air being sucked in through the top ram. I have experienced it before with a turbo V8 landcruiser, it seemed to be like a sweet spot that caused a noise. Anything like that? Or is it in the drive line?
Zaxusername

Postby kAm on Mon, 11 Nov 2013 7:50 +0000

yeah you can hear mine spool up pretty hard with the howl coming out the snorkel and a bit of a whistle at the turbo.
kAm

Postby goldiexxxx on Sun, 04 Jan 2015 3:07 +0000

I would like to reopen this thread to hear from 1KZ-TE owners that have had a performance chip installed for a while now and hear what they have to say about their engine longevity stories or otherwise.

The reason I ask, is that I purchased a second hand KZN165R hilux that already had a 3" exhaust, snorkel, manual boost controller and Tunit Chip. Not long after owning it, it needed a full rebuild. The head was cracked to pieces and number two and three pistons were cracking in the centre where the conrods were pushing up trying to bust through the centres. Power and torque were still fantastic and you would not have known anything was wrong except exhaust was communicating into the coolant system.
I am now reluctant to put the Tunit chip back on and have removed the boost controller. I believe the whole setup was probably wound up too high but would like to hear from those that have a chip working reliably.
Thanks.
goldiexxxx

Postby hotMetal on Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:40 +0000

Old post I know. But some relevant information.

What I did and was cheap, no electronics.

My setup is 3" Taipan-XP Exhaust, Aluminium 2 core radiator with 1.3 BAR cap, Viscous fan that WORKS! and Safari Snorkel. That's it. No other trickery :) Stock standard engine.

Fit a boost tee valve that intercepts the wastegate and compressor housing outlets. I used the 'Turbosmart Manual Boost Tee'. A hell off a crap job, but not too hard, can be done in 3 hours or so.

Then, instead of getting an electronic FCD to intercept the signal to the ECU, find the MAP sensor and clamp the vacuum line going to it from the intake manifold. It involves a bit of experimentation. Too much clamp equals too little fuel then no boost, no clamp and it hits boost cut at 15PSI. Then it just sucks, like hitting a brick wall effect due to no more fuel. You could spend the money and buy the 'Turbosmart Pneumatic FCD', but it does exactly the same thing! I used to use a small vice-grip to get the perfect AFR and EGT, and now I just use a small hose clamp to clamp the vacuum line going to the factory MAP sensor.

I run mine @ 20PSI using this method, and yes, you do get extra power! The injectors and injector pump has no problem supplying the fuel. No need for an expensive aftermarket ECU unless you want ultimate control. It provides more than enough fuel this method at 20PSI for a heck of a lot of extra power, runs cooler so no crack head future and that CT12B sounds sweet as above 15PSI. I have no intercooler so I wouldn't go above 20PSI, if you have an intercooler the 1KZ will easily handle 25PSI +, but get a higher flowing fuel pump to maintain that fuel. Too much boost can't hurt the engine, too much fuel can!

I have plenty of experience with CT12A's and B's from my 1JZ, 2JZ days. They won't blow up! just make sure you have at least a 3" exhaust system, this includes a 3" dump, and a clean free flowing air intake ie. a snorkel. Factory paper air filter is fine and advised.

End result, EGT's are lower, no smoke, it pulls a chipped D4D for dead! As a test there's a great big uphill near where I live. At factory boost of 10PSI in 5th gear I used to get up to 620°C and 100km/h, now I get 480°C and 130km/h. Results speak for themselves I think.

So there you go, a bit of MAP sensor trickery manual style, and BOOST!

As for head cracking issues, the problem is whole array of things yes, but the main culprit is the viscous fan! Get that sorted! Cool water temps and low EGT's = good head for life!

BTW, my engine is at 322 000kms. Only replacement so far was the starter motor and that crappy Toyota radiator.
hotMetal

Postby hotMetal on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 8:53 +0000

csale wrote:I got the Auber EGT and Boost Gauge...

I must say the turbo at 15 psi certainly has a different howl to it.... is the new howl anything to be wary of?

Not at all! It's the turbo finally coming to live.

Perfectly normal and it sounds way cool doesn't it!
hotMetal

Postby hotMetal on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 8:55 +0000

kAm wrote:yeah you can hear mine spool up pretty hard with the howl coming out the snorkel and a bit of a whistle at the turbo.

Howl, turbo whistle, extra interesting sounds, call it as it may. It's normal and like I said before, sounds awesome!!
hotMetal

Postby hotMetal on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 8:59 +0000

Today I am going to try new things to my 1KZ.

My Turbo to intake manifold hose tends to 'lift off' during high boost, even with those awesome/crappy Toyota hose clampy things. So air is escaping there before it reaches the manifold. I'm going to try to get them to stay on tight as not to loose boost through that hose.

Will see how I go.
hotMetal

Postby robe0455 on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 6:15 +0000

hotMetal wrote:Today I am going to try new things to my 1KZ.

My Turbo to intake manifold hose tends to 'lift off' during high boost, even with those awesome/crappy Toyota hose clampy things. So air is escaping there before it reaches the manifold. I'm going to try to get them to stay on tight as not to loose boost through that hose.

Will see how I go.

How did you get on with the intake pipe mods?
robe0455

Postby kAm on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 8:01 +0000

Forgot how old this thread was. Here's an update.
Currently running a hks evc at 20-22psi on a mamba turbo.
Cars running along now on 240,000kms. Also has water meth injection which works bloody well. Also keeps the intake clean from blow by as it cleans it.

On a cold winter morning I can have the foot flat to the floor and egts hit 470c and stay there. But usually 540-550 is where it hangs on a normalish day.
The stock turbo doesn't seem to like 20+psi. It'll make some grinding sounds haha. Also my old turbo had chip fan blades. Not sure if that's high boost related or foreign particles.
kAm

Previous

Return to Engines