3L - Blown head gasket or cracked head ?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

3L - Blown head gasket or cracked head ?

Postby doucmeasicu on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 2:58 +0000

Hey all
I have a 96 Hilux with 3L-LN111 diesel engine.
For a few months I've noticed the rad overflow bottle gurggles for a while after a long drive but the temp guage stays on normal and I was losing half a litre of coolant from the rad but the bottle still had a bit in it. A few weeks ago I had a hose go - the eng over-heated a bit but it didn't run dry & seemed ok (temp gauge still stayed on ok ??? dodgy)
After a 2hr drive in the heat the other day - I hadn't checked the coolant for 500k so I pulled up - the bootle was low and gurggling away so I filled it to the line and let it rest for 1/2 hr. I then drove for 10k and stopped there for 2 hrs. I got in to drive the last 60k to home but I got about 10k and I seemed to be losing power - I thought I must be going into a big headwind. It seemed to be getting worse so I pulled over - as soon as I put my foot on the clutch the engine stalled. I stopped and the rad seemed to be dry - bottle was full - overfull. It took a couple of hour to cool enough to fill it and I put about 5l of water in. It turned over -just - real slow at first but then fired up and ran ok but pumped all the water straight out the overflow pipe- popped the lid and gushed out. With the rad cap off it hit the lid.
To cut short - I jimmied things and got home in short hops.
I've done a few things since and its settled down a bit - I can go for 20 min or so b4 having to refill the rad.
I'm hoping its just the gasket - as it seems to have been slowly getting worse.
Just wanted opinions on it being a cracked head - how can I tell the difference between gasket and head ?
All the time - except for the siezing episode - the engine has run well, starts easy, doesn't blow smoke. When I over heated a spray of oil came out apparently from the head gasket.
cheers guys
doucmeasicu

Re: 3L - Blown head gasket or cracked head ?

Postby mattwhite on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 3:23 +0000

I'd back it being a cracked head. They are bad at cracking around the pre-com chamber. It's kind of irrelevant but because the job is the same either way. Just pull it off and get it checked by a reconditioner. I'd suggest sooner rather than later too because if not already the pistons will nip in the bore and it'll be way more than a head issue.
mattwhite

Postby HiTime on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 4:37 +0000

I had the same problem with the 3L - it kept pumping out all the coolant. I figured blown gasket.

Had the head off and serviced/planed, new valves, and whatever else the engine reconditioner recommended, gaskets etc.

It ran alright for after that for about 1000kms...then overheated and cracked in multiple locations. - Whether it was weakened or distorted from not dealing with the issue initially, who knows.

So maybe if you're having issues, and they seem to be common (or common enough) with the 3L, look at getting a new head altogether. It'll be less than a whole engine later on.
HiTime

Postby Cobba7490 on Tue, 14 Feb 2017 5:15 +0000

My 5L was overheating bad. Took it to my mechanic and found out the head gasket and radiator was stuffed.

Was drinking coolant like a sailor at port but my temp gauge was telling me it was hot. Wouldn't even make it a 8km trip to work in the middle of winter (Sydney).
The MudBug: 1999 LN167R, 3.0L 5L, N/A diesel
The "BushRanger": 2002 KZN165R, 3.0L 1KZ-TE, turbo diesel
Cobba7490

Return to Engines