Service Intervals

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Service Intervals

Postby hobo on Thu, 10 May 2012 8:21 +0000

just dropped my lux off for a 'major' service
gotta luv the fixed price servicing
but i have no confidence in what will actually get done and if what is done, is done properly.
hobo

Postby dundee on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 3:26 +0000

years ago I had a corona liftback with the 18rc motor. My father inlaw had a corona sedan also with the 18rc motor. He bought his corona new and had his oil changed every 10 to 20 k :shock: My corona I bough second hand with 124k but the services had been always up to date. from the day I bought my car I always changed the oil and filter every 5 k. I did a trip to cairns totalling 5 k travelled and my motor used 500 ml of oil for the entire trip. At the time my car had 250 k on the clock. My father in law did a trip to sydney in his car, at the time it had 180 k on the clock, for his 2k travelled he used 9 litres of oil. In my books I always will change oil and filter every 5k as it saves so much more in the long run.At least I know my motors are not tearing their guts out on old oil, imho I was and am still way out in front. :) Cheers Brad.
dundee

Postby Kev78 on Mon, 25 Feb 2013 8:07 +0000

If you can afford the time and the money to pay for the oil and filter at 5K intervals in a diesel engine, then go for it. You will be rewarded with an engine that will operate at its best efficiency for much longer than normal. It will certainly outlast any normally serviced engines.
If you intend to replace the vehicle at say, 150k, then save your time and money and service every 10k or 15k.

Long life diesels need clean air, clean fuel (BP diesel is the best currently available in Aussie,) and clean oil. Nothing more, nothing less.
Kev 78
Kev78

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Mon, 25 Feb 2013 8:35 +0000

For the lads dropping oil and filters every 5k, are you using genuine fluids and filter?
BIGFOOTJR

Postby strangenuts on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 8:35 +0000

On the Toyota fixed price servicing. It's at 10000km or every 6 months which ever comes first. What if your car has only done 2000km since the last service but it's been 6 months, I don't believe it needs a service but Toyota do. What's the go? I remember reading something Toyota wrote about oils can deteriorate over time that's why you need to get serviced on a time schedule. Is this true? I've got drums of oil in the shed that are sitting there for at times years and I'm sure they don't go off. What's people's thoughts?
strangenuts

Postby Luxi46 on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:07 +0000

Unused engine oils in sealed containers have a shelf life of maybe 2-3 years? It's when you start using them in your engine that they start collecting contaminants like diesel, soot, watervapour and they all start breaking down the oil from day one, forming acids, sludge and what not. Regular mineral oils also start thickening like varnish if you let them sit for longer periods of time. So not driving the car that much, will actually wear down the engine quicker, cause the oil no longer lubricates efficiently, being thicker. Heavy use, in terms of mileage, keeps the oil moving and delays this process somewhat. But then the oil will start breaking down from high heat and faster collection of contaminants. Toyota have done their research, but knowledgeable people on here have their own experience to show for. Trust in that ;)
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Engines