3L td blowing greyish smoke

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

3L td blowing greyish smoke

Postby rwnslux on Thu, 24 Nov 2011 5:29 +0000

Hi guys,

i watched someone drive my car for the 1st time yesterday and noticed when he got it onto boost the smoke that would come out was not soot black like you would expect from a diesel, it had alot of grey in it.

anyone know what this could be or if was normal?

its a 04 3Ltd Hilux with a Tunit ecu that has been in there for 5 years and no dramas. running 11psi (might need more boost as this is only 1-2 psi more than stock)

i can adjust the amount of fuel on the ecu, the more fuel i put in the more smoke, but doesnt change colour.

Let me know your guys thoughts.

A LITTLE GREYER THAN THIS:
Last edited by rwnslux on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 1:31 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
rwnslux

Re: 3L td blowing greyish smoke

Postby mcgahr on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 9:35 +0000

In real basic terms mate,
Black smoke is unburn fuel, can be a lack of oxygen causing this, or leaking injector
White smoke is an injector issue, usually only on start up
Blue smoke is related to oil burn

The tunit it module would usually work the fuel and air mix so it’s burning at the optimum point, have you tried disconnecting the module to see what it’s running like without it as a comparison?? But also remember, when your sitting behind your car watching the exhaust, it usually looks like it blows more than you realise, you just don’t see as much from the drivers seat.

It’s a bit hard to say what yours is without seeing it, but I would imagine it’s more related to unburnt fuel. Check your air filter to make sure it’s not blocked or damaged, not much point in giving the engine more fuel if it’s starving for oxygen...

p.s. I hope yours is not blowing that volume in the picture, if it is it’s time to go to the shop for some serious work.
mcgahr

Return to Engines