Getting hot with A/C on

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Getting hot with A/C on

Postby Gatti on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 6:24 +0000

A bit of a newby question but does my model Hilux have one or two water temp senders?
Gatti

Postby Gatti on Tue, 13 Dec 2011 7:26 +0000

I have been driving it with the aircon on for a week and it's only got a little bit hot twice. Both in stop start traffic with the aircon on.

I did some searching and found an owners manual for a 2004 Tacoma that says:

"The gauge indicates the engine coolant temperature when the ignition switch is on. The engine operating temperature will vary with changes in weather and engine load.
If the needle moves into the red zone, your engine is too hot. If your vehicle overheats, stop your vehicle and allow the engine to cool.
Your vehicle may overheat during severe operating conditions, such as:
- Driving up a long hill on a hot day.
- Reducing speed or stopping after high speed driving.
- Idling for a long period with the air conditioning on in stop-and-go traffic."

So it looks like as long as it stays out of the red it is fine, so I guess I'll stop worrying too much about it.
Gatti

Postby jap on Tue, 13 Dec 2011 8:52 +0000

I'd still be getting it looked at (whats left to look at anyway) as it sounds like it is only JUST doing the job.
Cooling system should be able to handle that and then some, imagine if you took a run through alice springs on a mid 40 degree day...your cooling system SHOULD be able to do that in its stride, fully loaded.
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby fgk228 on Tue, 13 Dec 2011 7:52 +0000

i have the 1kz version or your lux and man, the stock temp gauge is crap. i installed an after market gauge ....lets just day from 50 - 102 the needle barely moves. so if you can see it getting hot, it must be hot. idling with a/c on or off doesn't make a difference for my temp.

i got a a gauge with alarm, cheap insurance.

perhapss your rad is full of crap on the inside, cheack to see if the fins are bent, mud etc. You could even have a leak and the system can hold presure and boils.
fgk228

Postby justinbegley on Mon, 23 Apr 2012 4:05 +0000

Carefull buying thermostats though.. Because my father and i bought three for our hiluxes and none of them were operating.. i checked this in boiling water and they diidnt open.. i tested them after they were in the car too... didddnt work.. i used my fathers one that was working and it was sorted.. had to hunt for a lower temp thermostat, and one that actually worked.
justinbegley

Previous

Return to Engines