Hilux wont start when engine is hot

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Hilux wont start when engine is hot

Postby johnglenson on Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:20 +0000

Hello all,

2006 Hilux Automatic.: 2.5L engine: 180,000Km:

Problem : Engine cranks once, starts then immediately shuts off, restarts with no problem and runs ok. This happens every morning when cold.The quick shut off problem can be avoided by slightly pressing the accelerator when starting. so it was not really a bother. What has happened over the last two months is that once you shut the engine off after any length of driving it will not restart normally. It will crank several times , even until your battery gives up without starting. There are the odd times when it will start after 4 or 5 cranks, but this seems to depend on how long after you had shut it off.

If engine is left to cool for 40 minutes or more it will always start on first attempt. So the no start zone is within the 30 minutes after shutdown. One thing to note during this no start period, if you pump the lift pump on the fuel filter 2 to 4 times the engine always start by at least the second turn of the key.

A scan of vehicle returned no trouble codes. Fuel filter and fuel filter assembly changed. No luck. Could a fuel temperature sensor or suction control valve be suspect?. Is the valve a replaceable unit.
Any suggestion welcome. Thanks
Johnglenson.
johnglenson

Re: Hilux wont start when engine is hot

Postby wideawake on Fri, 04 Nov 2011 3:34 +0000

It happened to me as well. Solved it by replacing the battery. Although there were no signs that the battery was weak when it wouldn't start. Probably there was just not enough juice.
wideawake

Postby dave06 on Fri, 04 Nov 2011 4:09 +0000

Can always try battery

I had a similar problem started after a service if cold had to pump up the fuel filter if hot would crank for a while then fire (never flattend my battery though).

My problem ended up being a leak on the bowl of my after market fuel filter & when i shut the motor down it would suck in air, if off for a short time it would crank until the air lock cleared it self then fire, If off for a long time the air lock would be big enough that i would have to pump it up on my factory filter then it would fire.

You might not have a after market filter like myself but it could be a small leak somewhere sucking in air??

Mine was easy to find had the bonnet up & when i turned the car off i could here it sucking & see the air bubbles in my glass bowl, ended up being the mechanic that serviced it doubling up on o-rings.

Just an idea, hope you find the problem
dave06

Postby johnglenson on Fri, 04 Nov 2011 4:21 +0000

Thanks guys, had the battery replaced two days ago no luck. There is only the factory filter, check for leaks
and there is none, Note the engine starts ok when it cold, this doesnt suggest that it is sucking air.
johnglenson

Postby wideawake on Fri, 04 Nov 2011 4:47 +0000

Just to share, it happened twice for me.

1. Coming back from mountain biking, stopped the car for gas and the it couldn't start. Pushed it from the pump to an empty parking space and called my wife to come with jumpers. An hour an a half later, my wife arrived. I tried to crank it before popping up the hood and it started.

2. Drove back from work, stopped to get some snacks 3km from my house, couldn't start. Called my wife, which was on the way back from work to pick me up. She had to drop by my parent's house to get the jumper cable first. An hour later, as I saw her coming, i tried to start and it fired. Needless to say my wife was pretty pissed... hahaha

Good luck John. Let us know what you find out.
wideawake

Postby johnglenson on Mon, 07 Nov 2011 2:09 +0000

Hi Guys I am beginning to think its the battery for real. , there has been improvement in the hot starts since battery change. I will do some more checks and report my findings
johnglenson

Postby johnglenson on Tue, 15 Nov 2011 9:59 +0000

It has been confirmed the battery was acting up to cause the hot start problem. The battery placed in another vehicle works ok so far.
johnglenson

Return to Engines