Engine smoke when parked downhill

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Engine smoke when parked downhill

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 6:20 +0000

As DB has said above. Go through this thread and you soon find you answers. I wouldn't be driving it anywhere unless it's to get fixed! This can become a VERY serious issue if left alone!! I'd say whoever did your injector seat washers did a poor job or used the wrong parts! Get them washers out b4 you rite off your engine!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Talktheroo on Thu, 13 Apr 2017 3:42 +0000

Blow by. This is a serious condition. Writes off blocks.

A number of reasons why it happens.
Older models still with the old copper seats (sheets) installed.
BDG brass based seats (sheets) installed. 80% chance of this problem at low kms. If you have these seats in your vehicle, get them out of there is my advise.

BDG injector seats removed from a KUN26 that had only done 18,000kms on them. Blow By in three cylinders.

People not installing the injector seats or injectors right. Pigs in the industry, and there is plenty of them out there.
Poor maintenance and not doing the valve clearance procedure properly.

Make sure the injector ports are clean before installing the new injector seats (sheets).

Make sure you only use Toyota genuine injector seats (sheets) which come with the new Denso injectors, for your vehicles.

The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby tjingles312 on Mon, 17 Apr 2017 3:21 +0000

Thanks The Roo,

I will just give an update on my problem. After 4th injector seat replacement, my Lux still has white smoke on startup and engine rattle at low rpms. Had to return and check the 1st and 4th injector after 1 day of replacement. Before removing the injectors again, I inspected the breather and white smoke is coming out, looks like a blowby due to a faulty injector seal, smells like a mixture of unburnt fuel and oil. Still, the 1st and 4th position has busted orings and carbon accumulation (after 1 day). Tried putting a thin sheet of metal (washer) on beneath the seat. Removed the breather connection to the turbo intake (had to improvise a catch can but disconnected fully to the turbo). It seems oil buildup on the turbo, intercooler and intake manifold causes the white smoke on startup. No more white smoke on startup now but engine still rattles at low rpms and sometimes choking on low rpms. Will again send the lux to a denso certified shop to check for the injector values. I just found out the there are compensation codes that should be written on the ECU. I might have interchanged the injectors during 1st to 4th replacement (years back). My mechanic also tried to bring the injectors to a diesel calibration shop that has no common rail specialization. Is it possible that the planarity of the injector socket, through time, has a somehow deformed that's why even after a seat replacement I still encounter this problem in a matter of months? Will the default compensation values(QR codes) wont be applicable anymore if the injectors were dismantled/opened during cleaning? I am from the Philippines and we have "diesel calibration" shops for old diesel engines like trucks and jeepneys. :(
tjingles312

Postby Talktheroo on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 7:11 +0000

These injectors are not like their mechanical cousins.

You have to be super clean and there is special machinery involved with the servicing of these injectors.
As far as the fitting of these injectors goes, you have to be pretty anal in your approach. Clean injector ports, check your alignment three times in three ways, etc...... It's not a straight forward job is what I am saying here.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby sico on Wed, 19 Apr 2017 4:05 +0000

Guys need advice here. My wife noticed hilux occasionally blows white smoke when starting as she leaves the horse paddock. Here's a 10second clip I filmed today. Doesn't always do it. Was probably parked for 20 minutes today and very slightly downhill. Hilux is early 2006 with 220k on clock..
Any advice appreciated in advance.

https://youtu.be/G03lxxqE2-g

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
sico

Postby sico on Thu, 20 Apr 2017 4:10 +0000

Local toyota dealer is looking at it next Friday. Missus is off work at the moment so at least the hilux won't be driven until then. See what they diagnose.

sico

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 20 Apr 2017 4:22 +0000

Brace yourself! Hooe they had a look up the sump plug hole!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby sico on Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:45 +0000

Just over 5k since last oil change, here's a pic of the oil pick-up at that time.

sico

Postby sico on Fri, 28 Apr 2017 2:15 +0000

Ok guys, dealer service department has confirmed my suspicions as to the cause being injector seat washers. Said one injector was on edge of value range and has recommended doing injectors, seat washers and valve clearances...
Quote around $3,900...

sico

Postby srlux07 on Fri, 12 May 2017 8:09 +0000

Yeah mate that used to happen to mine until I changed the injectors and then it stopped it can be caused by leaky injectors
srlux07

Previous

Return to Engines