Chip Installed

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Chip Installed

Postby Lancair on Wed, 07 Apr 2010 3:38 +0000

Well, after a wait I finally got my chip this morning. :)

To cut a long story short, the chip works, my truck drives like it did with the stock tyres and wheels on it, not the 32's it does wear now. :) The increase in power is really evident, after about 2000rpm . Ive been watching my manifold pressure (via scan guage) for the last week and it would appear the boost is kicking in earlier or at a higher value earlier in the rev range, but doesnt seem any higher than the approx 23.5" I was seeing.

Cant comment on the fuel consumption yet as Ive only done one short trip.

Now, if an auto sparky is reading this, could they contact me ASAP.

Lancair
Lancair

Re: Chip Installed

Postby Adi on Wed, 07 Apr 2010 3:49 +0000

Good to hear,I just ordered this chip last night. Just a question, How long did it take you to install it and do you reckon it'll take a long time to take it off for servicing?
Adi

Postby bansheebuzz on Wed, 07 Apr 2010 6:49 +0000

what do yo need an auto sparkie for lancair?
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby Lancair on Wed, 07 Apr 2010 6:56 +0000

The install doesn't take long at all. Removing for servicing won't be necessary, just unplug the sensor wires and rejoin the wires to factory setting. They won't find it under the glovebox.

I'm not a newbie to wiring etc but this is fidely due to it's location and they're not long bits of wire to work with. Somewhere during this, something has happened and I now have no power windows or door locks. I suspect during the joining power wires. I initially used a wire tap clip to minimise chance of shorting out or cutting the main white/red power wire. ???????????
Anyway I thought all was good to go and started the engine. Ran like a chaff cutter. Called Robert who suggested I load a lower number tune. I can't get the software to connect to the chip. Eventually after a phone call it's found the chip is not getting power. Neither are my windows or door locks. I then cut the power wire to remove the tap clip and find this wire has no power. Now I have the chip functioning using a 12V feed from my 2nd battery (I also now have done a job long overdue and got aux power into the cab for phone chargers etc)

My suggestion is to ALWAYS run a wire in from the battery to this chip. Don't mess with tapping into the onboard wiring. Now I have no windows or door locks and it's not a simple fuse blown. Somehow it's shorted something that's blown something not good.

Lancair
Lancair

Postby dute on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 5:38 +0000

All that sounds bad . . . Was there much of an boost in the power. :?:

I hope all works out in the end. . . . 8-)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby bansheebuzz on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 7:13 +0000

pop out your glove box, check the fuses behind there including the fuse block, thats where the window relay is, check all your fuses under the drivers side dash and check all your fusses under the engine bay including the main fuse link assembly( long strip with the clear cover)

if you want to call me my numbers in the sig, havent looked on here for few days just got your pm thismorning
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby Lancair on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 8:22 +0000

Hi bansheebuz,
Thanks for the reply. It wasn't a fuse, I had a local guy look at it. He concluded something beyond the easily accesible areas had somehow shorted and now the supply line to the relays for windows is as dead as. So to keep the expense reasonable he has powered the windows and door locks from another source, including using a relay to power them as per stock setup. Cost me $120.

The chip is great, loving the extra get up N go. I have driven a short trip twice today, once no chip and once with the chip wired in. The difference is clear, the chip wired in is a clear winner for sheer seat of the pants performance. The increase in torque is awesome. Hopefully going to do some k's tomorrow and get some fuel figures. I expect about 2 or 3 L per 100km better.

Lancair
Lancair

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 15 Oct 2010 7:14 +0000

Hows the Lux going Lancair?

Have you tried tune 5?
CHIP IT

Chip Installed

Postby Lancair on Tue, 08 Feb 2011 8:26 +0000

I've had the check engine light a few times now. I loose all throttle above about 5%. Need to stop, switch off and restart the engine. Not under load, everytime, cant duplicate it, just random. Can't remember the actual code now (from scanguage) Toyota said it was fuel system leak detected but found nothing. (went Toyota with chip disconnected)
Anyone have any clues ?

Lancair.
Lancair

Postby Viper82 on Tue, 08 Feb 2011 2:20 +0000

Someone else posted the same thing other day about having a chip and fuel system leak.
Viper82

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 11 Feb 2011 4:59 +0000

Yes ... probably the CR plug is coming loose or the CR limiter spring is loosing tension
CHIP IT

Postby warndizl on Fri, 11 Feb 2011 8:47 +0000

i hav also had this poblem with a couple of hiluxs, including my own, i hav concluded its an induced voltage somehow finding its way into the fuel pressure switch wiring, and as toyota hav very small voltage variations allowed seems to trigger a code, as low or no fuel pressure can damage a pump REAL QUICK the engine goes into limp home. i also found it was when an accessory was used eg driving lights, uhf etc...
hope this helps or steers someone on the right track
warndizl

Chip Installed

Postby toyboata on Sat, 12 Feb 2011 8:40 +0000

Lancair wrote:I've had the check engine light a few times now. I loose all throttle above about 5%. Need to stop, switch off and restart the engine. Not under load, everytime, cant duplicate it, just random. Can't remember the actual code now (from scanguage) Toyota said it was fuel system leak detected but found nothing. (went Toyota with chip disconnected)
Anyone have any clues ?

Lancair.

I had the exact same problem with my chip it chip and found a pin or 2 had pulled out from the fuel pressure switch plug. Pushed them back in and made sure all the wiring and pins in the plugs were secure and have never had an issue since
toyboata

Postby Lancair on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 4:01 +0000

Ill have a look at the plug as suggested. I didnt use it on a recent trip towing my 1.5tonne boat 1000kms and was pleasantly surprised with the stock performance and fuel useage. I got 14.2L/100km sitting on 100 where possible but not pushing it hard up hills, just letting the diesel torque do the work easily.
Lancair

Return to Engines