The cold 'rattles'

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: The cold 'rattles'

Postby Wing on Tue, 05 Jun 2012 8:12 +0000

moxhammob wrote:Hi guys
I'm a virtgin to this so be gentle please,
I have a late 06 D4D 105,000km i have noticed now the colder the air the noisier the engine.
The engine is pinging its head off in 2nd and 3rd i have cleaned the air sensor on intake but still noisy.
It still goes like a scolded cat just its making me nervous about the noise
any help or links would be great thanks :twisted: :ugeek:

book a time to leave the truck overnight at the dealer. They should send the report to toyota to see whether you are eligible for injector replacement. Mine got replaced 2 years ago 3 months after warranty expired (of course you need to show full service record). They should be actively helping you because they will get paid by toyota to do the job.

Outcomes are divided. Some report recurring later. Mine are still good after 2 years. good luck. BTW, prolonged rattling will damage the engine. Don't try it too hard before warming up.
Wing

Postby wombat40 on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 9:44 +0000

On the bottom right hand side of your dash (near your right knee) is a "Heat" button. First thing in the morning when you start the D4D turn it on for at least 120 seconds and you notice a considerable difference it the rattle when you eventually drive off (it will turn off when when you hit the clutch so just let it idle for at least two minutes). It will act as an "electronic choke" and increase the revs to about 1500rpm while heating up the injectors (the noise you are hearing is not pinging but the injectors which take time to warm up).

Try it!!! (if its colder leave it idling longer)

170,000km on the with the original injectors can't be wrong.

Greg
Life's a tour not a race, just don't get in my way when I'm touring.
wombat40

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:47 +0000

Only on SR 5 :(
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby pisso01 on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:11 +0000

Hellbound wrote:Only on SR 5 :(

Dual cab SR's have the power heat button as well.

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 6:41 +0000

Dang, must just be just us poverty pack single cab's that miss out then :oops:
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby StevenS on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 7:02 +0000

Search for "idle up" if you want a solution to that
StevenS

Postby Boxhead on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 7:27 +0000

I got the cold rattles this morning, It was 17 degrees :mrgreen: I rolled over and they went away :D
Boxhead

The cold 'rattles'

Postby BADBOYBUBBY on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 8:17 +0000

I changed fuel to caltex premium whatever it's called and I don't get any rattles ?
BADBOYBUBBY

Postby oggy on Sat, 07 Jul 2012 8:38 +0000

Hellbound wrote:Dang, must just be just us poverty pack single cab's that miss out then :oops:

Sooo, dragged myself most of the way through this thread thinking geez haven't i got some thing too look forward too :cry: Then came the talk of the ''magic button", and what do ya no. 2012 sr xtra cab . No button :shock: . Not because there too bloody cheap to put one in , or that i didn't buy a "5", but because it is now automatic :!: as soon as i start her up cold she automatically revs higher, bit like an automatic choke on pre injection cars (for all the whipper snappers out there).
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby niggs79 on Wed, 11 Jul 2012 5:07 +0000

hi i have just changed the injectors on my 06 hilux but coldstart noise is still there untill car is warm
dont know what to do next
niggs79

Postby axeten on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 8:33 +0000

My injectors were done and the rattle is still there when cold. Just not as long it seems.

I wouldn't worry about it if they are all replaced. It seems some just rattle more than others when cold.

Have you checked valve clearances recently?
axeten

Postby Dieseltaco on Wed, 12 Sep 2012 2:42 +0000

I got the same thing, I can warm it up for 5-10 minutes, or just drive down the road and in about 3-5 minutes the rattle goes away. One day I got in cold and got on the pedal hard just to see what would happen. Only difference was I could hear the whine of the turbo alot better. I reckon the same thing, colder air. It did make me think it was the timing as well but once shes warmed up she runs like a champ.
2005 Tacoma / 2007 1KD-FTV D4D Turbodiesel
Dieseltaco

Postby demoking on Wed, 12 Sep 2012 3:34 +0000

mine was rattling bad in the cold, temp had to hit around 75 degrees before it would go away, just got it back from cornells on saturday, had 2 leaking injectors and a leaking injector seal but all fixed and runs like a charm again no matter how cold it is out side.
demoking

Postby Skitz-4x4 on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 8:45 +0000

Had my injectors replaced last fortnight.. my cold rattle was that terrible that it turned into a shake/rattle and wouldnt go away at all even after warm up, so i took it in and they said the injectors were that bad i was lucky i didnt crack a piston :shock: i had only owned the car for 5,000klms.. they told me to check my fuel filter and it was BLACK! so i replaced that and also installed a pre filter.. since the new injectors not one rattle on cold start,

I might add that they were the new updated injectors in 09+ as there were none in aus for an 07 hilux..

cheers scott
Why Drink And Drive When You Can DriFt And Slide?!
Skitz-4x4

Postby terryo on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 5:17 +0000

has anyone reading this had troubles getting replacement injectors recoded??. i have my own (expensive) scan tool. No matter what I do, it will not accept the 30 digit codes off any of the 4 injectors. i have removed the injectors from a wrecked 2007 model with only 35,000km's on it. I have fitted them to my 07 model . Without recoding them, that has fixed all my cold rattling problems, but i'd still like to recode then ECU so all the compensations are correct. any help appreciated. thanks, terry
terryo

Postby dervdave on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 6:58 +0000

Try 250 mls of two stroke oil to a full tank of diesel ;)
But are you sure some of you haven`t got this well known issue
http://www.hpoc.co.uk/community/index.p ... opic=15447
2013 3.0d Invincible
dervdave

Postby bones2898 on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 9:18 +0000

Ok now this is really left field, but it seems to be working for me atm.
What i have been doing, admittedly only for 2 days but no rattles for those 2 days, is start the motor, let it idle for a few minutes, then turn the motor off for a couple of minutes, then start and drive, no rattles i dont know why but it is working for me, i would like a couple of others to try it too and see if it helps them too.
normally mine would rattle until the temp guage gets to just under normal operating temp.
bones2898

Postby strangenuts on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 9:28 +0000

I don't know if what I hear are the rattles, but when my Lux is cold, it's engine is noticeably louder, at around 1800 rpm you can hear something sounding like rattles. It's a 2012 model and I've heard the extra noise from early i.e 8000km. Should I mention it to the dealer or is it just case of that's a cold engine for you?
strangenuts

Postby lux111 on Sat, 09 Feb 2013 8:16 +0000

Its the injectors im a deisel machanic i have plenty luxs come in my shop because of it and mine sufferd the same problems a replace of the injectors or getting them reconditiond fixes the problem
lux111

Postby V11NEJ on Fri, 01 Nov 2013 7:02 +0000

I have a 2013 euro 5 hi lux for two months now. I formerly had a 2010 truck for three years.
The new truck is a noisey machine by comparison. Injector rattle! Driving me mad!
Very dissapionted with this as I gave back a a brilliant machine that never troubled me once
The new truck seems to rattle worse once its heated up and heat soaked in traffic, at which point it is very loud, particularly on small throttle openings in busy city queues. Almost hammering sound
If you use more throttle it goes away instantly
The weather is getting colder here now, and yesterday, our coldest day yet, there was no noise at all after 20 miles of motorway followed by twenty mins of city queuing. I was delighted, but I knew it was temporary, as I have experienced this with it before.
I parked it up outside a clients house for two hours, jumped back in it,fired it up, and sure enough the death rattle was back?
So the temperature definatly effects the issue. I noticed this car has a fuel cooler fitted in the fuel line between the tank and the pump' don't remember my old car having that?
Is the temp the engine is running at too hot for quite running injector fuel trim?
If the engine stat was changed for a cooler running version, would this stop the changeable problem.?
As the fuel not used gets returned to the tank having passed through the fuel rail, is the temp of the diesel on the up and up the whole time. Did Toyota realise this was an issue hence the fuel cooler, that didn't fix the problem.!
In a bid to sort this, I tried using a chip express unit, which has up d the power smoothness and economy, but sadly made no difference to the warm up rattle
This little box I've fitted, I believe increases the fuel pressure in the rail on demand for more torque and power, but has no effect on the low end demands you make of the motor. So more pressure has not fixed the issue, or made it worse it has to be said
Having examined this for some months now, I still think its a temperature issue.
Keep it cool, and the noise is gone? Yet others report the opposite
I've asked the dealer to help but they just don't give a s.....t! They are useless
I read on a forum that you can have a dealer who cares? (Not mine!) perform a pilot learn injector reprogram and this makes all noise issues go away. I would like to believe this possible. I've also learned that the fuel trim for the injectors has a set of software parameters that the ecu reports as normal or otherwise, and can be adjusted.
Do these dealers really know enough to sort issues like this I wonder?
I'm clutching at straws trying to work this problem out really
In summation, I'd put my money on computer programming sorting it out? As these injectors are totally controlled by the ecu, but is the program wrong? We all have no chance of a mechanic in a dealers look deeper than plug in factory soft ware, and it says all is good
Has any of you cured this aggravating issue on a 2013 euro 5 hi lux
Aaaaarrrrrrgh!
V11NEJ

PreviousNext

Return to Engines