Flywheel options 1kd

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Flywheel options 1kd

Postby gulfcountry on Thu, 31 Aug 2023 5:53 +0000

Wondering if theres much variety on offer for aftermarket flywheels or if they basically all come from the same factory and are just branded differently .
Id like to find the largest and heaviest one available to aid bringing the torque through on the gear change .
I remember back in the old custom hotrod industry lightened flywheels were for quick revs and heavy were for torque transfer .
gulfcountry

Re: Flywheel options 1kd

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 31 Aug 2023 6:59 +0000

I don't know where you would start to look for that. Would a tune do what you want?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby gulfcountry on Fri, 01 Sep 2023 5:28 +0000

Im going to put a clutch in soon and at that time would like to get the heaviest flywheel in with it . I see a lot of clutch kits include a replacement flywheel but I guess theres not much variations in whats in those kits . I may be able to source my own selected flywheel rather than a universal aftermarket type .
I have a tune and have good power and torque .I believe a heavy flywheel helps reduce rpm falloff on the gear changes .
gulfcountry

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 01 Sep 2023 6:12 +0000

gulfcountry wrote:Im going to put a clutch in soon and at that time would like to get the heaviest flywheel in with it . I see a lot of clutch kits include a replacement flywheel but I guess theres not much variations in whats in those kits . I may be able to source my own selected flywheel rather than a universal aftermarket type .
I have a tune and have good power and torque .I believe a heavy flywheel helps reduce rpm falloff on the gear changes .

I understand what you're saying, but unless the vehicle is specifically being built for high performance racing (Bathurst, Formula one or Rally) then I can't see you gaining noticeable improvement.
One thing you could look into is to check the diameter, tooth size and count on a Chevy 350 flywheel, compare it to your standard flywheel and decide then if you need to look next at say a 307 or a 450 flywheel. Check out the various Land Cruisers as well.
Bit of a needle in a haystack I know, but if you use a systematic methodology, you might just get lucky.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Fri, 01 Sep 2023 6:37 +0000

I now what you are talking about we used it in the 70es in our drag car my question is what are you trying to achieve.
I'm not sure if the hilux crank can take the extra weight
I don't know if you know heavier flywheels do brake the end off the crank. Seen it a number of times. Not good out 4x4ing and brake it.
dave g

Postby gulfcountry on Sun, 03 Sep 2023 6:07 +0000

I dont want to break my crank thats for sure .
I will contact all clutch package sellers before I buy a clutch and get the weights of there complete rotating assemblies including flywheels in their packages and I should be able to tell from that info if any have a higher weight and if theres one significantly heavier I will lean towards it provided it has a high clamping force pressure plate and max clutch plate surface area .
I think a heavier assembly will definitely mak a difference when changing gears as the engine rotation rpm will fall off less between clutch in clutch out changing gears
gulfcountry

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 03 Sep 2023 9:46 +0000

It'd be much easier just to learn how.to properly double shuffle. I knew a few rally drivers back in the eighties who said knowing how to double shuffle made a big difference in what they did.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 03 Sep 2023 12:31 +0000

I guess a heavy flywheel might be worth a look in a Chevy Camaro but geez in a hilux?? Learn how to change gears properly and the $millions of Toyota r&d might have solved the hilux problems. ;) Unless of course if you plan on racing the lux at Bathurst :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 03 Sep 2023 1:40 +0000

Gipsy wrote:I guess a heavy flywheel might be worth a look in a Chevy Camaro but geez in a hilux?? Learn how to change gears properly and the $millions of Toyota r&d might have solved the hilux problems. ;) Unless of course if you plan on racing the lux at Bathurst :lol:

Maybe one of those new wave fandangled flappy paddle quick shift gear boxes? I just don't see anything but heartache and problems in a Hilux.
Heaps of "Out Of The Box" ideas have come up, none of which seem to include a heavier flywheel ... Gotta be something in that!
Rob_Wood

Postby gulfcountry on Sun, 03 Sep 2023 2:15 +0000

Im hearing you fellas ! Stick with genuine .
gulfcountry

Return to Engines