Is a 3 inch turbo-back exhaust too big?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Is a 3 inch turbo-back exhaust too big?

Postby thefatduck on Sat, 01 May 2021 6:39 +0000

Hi guys, I'm new here and this question might have been asked before but there's too many threads to go through.

I have a bone-stock (except for the K&N drop-in filter) 2013 KUN26 3.0 Hilux and I am planning on getting a 3" turbo-back straight pipe. So what's bothering me is that there are multiple different feedbacks I am hearing from people around me.

1. I'll lose low-end torque but mid to high-end power is improved.
2. I won't lose anything but instead have improved fuel economy.
3. I will experience horrible turbo lag.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? I do have plans to get a piggyback but most likely won't do any significant mods to it in the near future, thanks guys!
thefatduck

Re: Is a 3 inch turbo-back exhaust too big?

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 02 May 2021 4:21 +0000

Hi, number 1 is my experience, but don't go straight pipe, you need some back pressure to make it all work. The sweet spot is 2 to 3 thousand revs but high end performance is improved. As for 2 and 3 I agree with better economy but I don't notice turbo lag. I have a chip so it has greatly improved my Hilux. For me I tow a 2.5tonne caravan so the 3inch improves the heat getting out of the engine. Remember if you want a race car you have the wrong vehicle as the Hilux isn't a performance vehicle.
Oh, dump the K&n filter, it will oil up the intake sensors and kill your engine really quick.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby davo94 on Mon, 03 May 2021 7:02 +0000

The factory turbo outlet isn't even the size of the factory dump pipe in a 1kd.
There is lots of info out there on exhausts but keep in mind the factory system is more then engough for the factory turbo and roughly 200rwhp.
Another 2013 sr5 owner..
davo94

Postby thefatduck on Tue, 04 May 2021 12:13 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Hi, number 1 is my experience, but don't go straight pipe, you need some back pressure to make it all work. The sweet spot is 2 to 3 thousand revs but high end performance is improved. As for 2 and 3 I agree with better economy but I don't notice turbo lag. I have a chip so it has greatly improved my Hilux. For me I tow a 2.5tonne caravan so the 3inch improves the heat getting out of the engine. Remember if you want a race car you have the wrong vehicle as the Hilux isn't a performance vehicle.
Oh, dump the K&n filter, it will oil up the intake sensors and kill your engine really quick.

I'm not too worried about what the filter will do for now, I'm also looking into getting a high flow filter without the use for oil. Yeah, I'm planning to get mine chipped but not in the near future. Just wanted some input as to if I should go ahead with the exhaust first or not. I'm well aware that the Hilux is a Hilux, I just want to improve the driving pleasure and the performance for road and business trips. Thanks for the reply!
thefatduck

Postby thefatduck on Tue, 04 May 2021 12:21 +0000

davo94 wrote:The factory turbo outlet isn't even the size of the factory dump pipe in a 1kd.
There is lots of info out there on exhausts but keep in mind the factory system is more then engough for the factory turbo and roughly 200rwhp.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it!
thefatduck

Return to Engines