Upgrading 1gr engine to suit boost

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Upgrading 1gr engine to suit boost

Postby James9841 on Fri, 21 Aug 2020 4:39 +0000

Hi I’ve recently supercharged my 2010 4L v6 Hilux (1GR-Fe Engine) with Magnusons intercooler supercharger kit and am running 5psi. I would like to go much higher around the 10-15psi mark but have been told I’ll need stronger internals for the engine to achieve this and still maintain reliability. I’ve had a bit of trouble finding much info on stronger parts for this engine and was wondering if anyone knows what parts I should be upgrading and where to find the parts?

Thanks in advance.
James9841

1grfe upgrade to suit boost

Postby James9841 on Fri, 21 Aug 2020 4:40 +0000

Hi I’ve recently supercharged my 2010 4L v6 Hilux (1GR-Fe Engine) with Magnusons intercooler supercharger kit and am running 5psi. I would like to go much higher around the 10-15psi mark but have been told I’ll need stronger internals for the engine to achieve this and still maintain reliability. I’ve had a bit of trouble finding much info on stronger parts for this engine and was wondering if anyone knows what parts I should be upgrading and where to find the parts?

Thanks in advance.
James9841

Re: Upgrading 1gr engine to suit boost

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 21 Aug 2020 6:10 +0000

No different to any engine. You won’t only be dealing with extra boost but extra torque/power.

Mine is running the same setup with a smaller pulley for 6.5psi. I wouldn’t go much higher without upgrades, maybe up to 8psi. Mine was showing about 250kW when it hit the rev limiter (set low), not sure what the flywheel torque is but it is basically flat between 500-600Nm at the rear wheels.

To go higher with reliability you are going to want:

Lower compression.
Forged pistons
Normally stronger rods, not sure how good Toyota ones are.
More fuel capability, so bigger injectors.
Intake upgrade, at least a TRD CAI (no snorkel, loses hp).

Not sure how much more you can tune for with a piggyback ECU.

Have you improved the exhaust? It will make a huge difference. Mine has a full Beaudesert 2.75” system but the trade off is it sounds like cr@p, line a serious wet fart like any V6 does. I’d think about Tradewind’s Tacoma manifolds. Anything to take away that awful V6 sound is worth it.

You may also have backed the wrong horse for that level of boost though. Those belt driven turbo Vortex style super chargers can give big boost if that is what you want. I didn’t go that way as the screw type Eaton blower develops substantially more torque but less hp. From what I understand of screw type blowers if you want big boost you oversize the blower, so instead of an M90 way over driven you run an M112 at a lower speed. Do some reading on it.
HK1837

Postby Byrnesey on Sun, 20 Dec 2020 7:31 +0000

James9841 wrote:Hi I’ve recently supercharged my 2010 4L v6 Hilux (1GR-Fe Engine) with Magnusons intercooler supercharger kit and am running 5psi. I would like to go much higher around the 10-15psi mark but have been told I’ll need stronger internals for the engine to achieve this and still maintain reliability. I’ve had a bit of trouble finding much info on stronger parts for this engine and was wondering if anyone knows what parts I should be upgrading and where to find the parts?

Thanks in advance.
Hey mate
Where did you get your Magnuson kit from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Byrnesey

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:09 +0000

You can buy them off Magnuson, or from places like Bullet.
HK1837

Postby tonysimmons on Thu, 28 Dec 2023 6:07 +0000

I know its a late reply, but I hope it helps someone in the future. I am running 6psi with a Rotrex supercharger on my 1GRFE, with custom tune, larger fuel pump and full Beaudesert exhaust. I ended up with 4 cracked pistons. This was probably caused by running lean at higher RPM, so larger injectors are probably mandatory. Im going for forged pistons and maybe a change of rods while I am at it.
tonysimmons

Return to Engines