1kdftv turbo sound like dentist drill under load

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

1kdftv turbo sound like dentist drill under load

Postby pampoen on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 2:29 +0000

Hi guys,
a few days ago I was towing a trailer and i noticed that my 1kdftv developed a high pitched whine, almost like a dentists drill that corresponds to the turbo noise, since then the noise has been there only under high rpm when I load the engine up, vehicle still performs effortlessly and idles perfectly. From my research and a bit of thinking i'm thinking that possibly the EGR is starting to fowl up and with more restriction is putting more load on the turbo. Have any of you guys had similar issues?
pampoen

Re: 1kdftv turbo sound like dentist drill under load

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 6:18 +0000

Probably just the turbo working hard and you haven't noticed it before. My turbo whines with a load on as you apply throttle.
If there's no other problems it's probably ok.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby pampoen on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 2:03 +0000

Its definitely a new noise though, even when not towing it is now more noticeable.
pampoen

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 2:25 +0000

It's also possible that your turbo has injested something, damaging the turbo blades. Do you have an airfilter?
How many kilometres? The turbines do sometimes cop some damage, particularly if the engine is older.
It's not likely to be the EGR.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby pampoen on Wed, 22 Jul 2020 8:19 +0000

Gipsy wrote:It's also possible that your turbo has injested something, damaging the turbo blades. Do you have an airfilter?
How many kilometres? The turbines do sometimes cop some damage, particularly if the engine is older.
It's not likely to be the EGR.

Hey Gypsy,
The vehicle is a 2011 1kd all original. I run a standard airfilter with a snorkle all the time. Km is currently 210000 and the engine is healthy, I change oil and filters with liqui moly every 5000km last year I took it for a tune and she put down 210Hp. Im very confused as to what it could be, I checked hoses and no sign of any cracks or loose clamps, doesnt use oil.
pampoen

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 6:20 +0000

If it's running ok and no issues it's probably just the turbo showing signs of ageing.
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 1:38 +0000

Im interested to know how you get 210hp from a 1kd? My rough calculated figure is around 175hp from a stock 1kd so if you're correct your engine is in great shape. No chip or other mods? Feel free to challenge my calculations but in kilowatts it's about 135kw in a stock engine.
If you're correct about the HP figure maybe you have a tweaked boost value or some other tuning trick. We would all be interested in hearing how this figure is achieved. :?
If the engine is stock, this figure would feasible if it was tested at sea level with an unusually high humidity or moisture content during the test.
Gipsy

Postby pampoen on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 2:37 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Im interested to know how you get 210hp from a 1kd? My rough calculated figure is around 175hp from a stock 1kd so if you're correct your engine is in great shape. No chip or other mods? Feel free to challenge my calculations but in kilowatts it's about 135kw in a stock engine.
If you're correct about the HP figure maybe you have a tweaked boost value or some other tuning trick. We would all be interested in hearing how this figure is achieved. :?
If the engine is stock, this figure would feasible if it was tested at sea level with an unusually high humidity or moisture content during the test.

Sorry I neglected to say I do have a Unichip Q Fuel and Timing Module plus the Unichip D4D Injector Driver installed with a mild tune. I also run a 71cm exhaust with EGR delete.
pampoen

Postby pampoen on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 2:38 +0000

Gipsy wrote:If it's running ok and no issues it's probably just the turbo showing signs of ageing.

Ok well I'll keep an eye on it and report back if i have any issues.
pampoen

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 23 Jul 2020 3:02 +0000

Ok that explains the HP figure ;) It's also possible that the tune mods boost turbo pressure making for a whine!
Gipsy

Postby pampoen on Sun, 26 Jul 2020 3:07 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Ok that explains the HP figure ;) It's also possible that the tune mods boost turbo pressure making for a whine!

I wish I could say that it was after the tune that I heard this noise :( After taking her for a run to town and back yesterday I can definitely hear some sort of whine out of the ordinary, similar to that of a dentist drill but only at high rpm like 3500, how hard is it for a semi technically savy bloke who has cleaned his egr before(the measure of a self proclaimed mechanic) to test to see if one of the turbo fins is damaged?

On another note how could the turbo have sucked something in if all that I have done is take the airfilter(I drive tar 90% of the time) out to replace every second service. Mmmmm so many unanswered questions.....
pampoen

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 26 Jul 2020 8:24 +0000

It's reasonably easy to drop something unnoticed into the filter box when changing the filter. If the vehicle is performing ok and there are no engine faults, let it go until something definitive appears. There's an inherent danger in looking too deep and you could cause unexpected results. If you did find turbine blades damaged you would be putting a new turbo on so why rush to find a problem which may or may not exist. The whine you speak of... Is it under wide open throttle? If it is you may have an intake leak, intercooler or other intake plumbing.
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 26 Jul 2020 8:24 +0000

Double post :?
The other thing which may appear as a whine is the variable vanes in the turbo... The stepper motor changes the angle of the vanes to reduce boost when it reaches the optimum for the revs. The reduction in boost spins the turbo down, giving a slight whine as the pressure comes off.
There is no wastegate or blowoff valve so the pressure has to go somewhere.
Gipsy

Return to Engines