Nut stuck on turbo dump pipe

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Nut stuck on turbo dump pipe

Postby stirlo97 on Sun, 19 Apr 2020 6:46 +0000

Hey everyone

Began uninstalling the factory exhaust from my 2012 Hilux in order to put my new 3” stainless system in. I’ve managed to take everything off except for 1 nut connecting the turbo to the dump pipe. It’s in an extremely annoying spot, can’t really get any tools into it apart from a ring spanner, and even then can only get maybe a 1/4 turn before the spanner is stopped by something in the way. I’ve already soaked the nut over and over with locktite freeze and release and due to my frustration I’ve slightly rounded the nut. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone fitted a new exhaust to their Ute and how did you manage to get that last nut off the dump pipe. Apart from taking the engine apart and removing the turbo completely I’m out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
stirlo97

Re: Nut stuck on turbo dump pipe

Postby Chopps on Sun, 19 Apr 2020 7:30 +0000

Yeah - its a bitch to get off without the right tools but theres a good thread on this
Use the search here box bro - search terms like "turbo dump pipe nut"
Gen 7 section

https://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=16324

3/8 single hex socket with wobble extension/s
Chopps

Postby CamboT on Sun, 19 Apr 2020 2:04 +0000

I have only ever used a very long extention and an impact gun from underneath.
Lots of penetrant as well.
Need to use a single hex socket right from the start, but if yopu haven't and its partially rounded, use a extractor type socket that grips the nut better.
Something like these.... https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/tool ... 42010.html
But if its really rounded may need 1 of these... IRWIN Bolt Extractor Set, 5-Piece (394002)
Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh
CamboT

Postby Viper82 on Mon, 20 Apr 2020 4:55 +0000

When I took mine off, the actual stud came loose before the nut loosened. The threads are studs that also come out. But yes one of the nuts is a pain. I used 2 long extensions and one of those knuckle adaptors to undo the nuts and lots of spray
Viper82

Return to Engines